Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Man, I love Apfelwein

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-20-2012, 06:14 PM   #9921
rico567
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennesseean_87 View Post
This has not been true in my experience. This isn't beer or beer yeast; things take a lot longer to ferment out. If anything, some of my batches have taken more like 6 weeks to finish fermenting, much less clearing.
Me, too. My basement is at 61F, and this was a very slow, steady fermentation. I would say 6 weeks minimum for my batch.

“Malt does more than Milton can / To justify God’s ways to man”

-A. E. Housman (1859–1936). A Shropshire Lad , 1896.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2012, 06:52 PM   #9922
Spartangreen
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Ok, so I didn't read every one of first 993 pages...
I'd like to ferment back in the orginial jugs the apple juice came in, which I read isn't an issue.

Can I just loosely put the caps back on so the CO2 can excape, but nothing can fall in?

Old 06-22-2012, 07:04 PM   #9923
SeanMcClellan
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartangreen
I'd like to ferment back in the orginial jugs the apple juice came in, which I read isn't an issue.

Can I just loosely put the caps back on so the CO2 can excape, but nothing can fall in?
Haven't done it myself, but from what I've read, it shouldn't be much of a problem as long as you're using the Montrachet yeast, which doesn't need much headroom. Might want to put a piece of tape on there to prevent the cap from (un)screwing.

Old 06-22-2012, 07:58 PM   #9924
philrose
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartangreen View Post

Also have not tried this, the main thing I don't like about it is dividing the yeast evenly. It seems like you'd either have to eyeball it or find some more precise way to measure, which is a bit more yeast handling out in the open than I'm personally comfortable with.

It'd probably be fine though.
Planning- Witbier

@philthebrewer

Old 06-23-2012, 03:38 AM   #9925
mdatum
Recipes 

I just finished my second batch. My first batch was in the fermentor for 1 month and then in bottles for 2 months. This time I left it in the fermentor for 4 months and after two weeks in the bottle, the flavor is completely different. Both were dry and tasty, but this second batch has more of an apple flavor and is very smooth.

I hope to repeat this flavor here on out, have most people found that time in fermentor is better than in the bottle?

Old 06-23-2012, 08:25 PM   #9926
opus345
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 170 Times on 127 Posts
Likes Given: 156

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartangreen View Post

I would recommend hitting a LHBS shop and pickup a stopper and airlock. If you don't have a LHBS close and don't want to mail order, you could use the ghetto air lock from the Joe's Ancient Orange Mead thread and use a ballon with a pin hole.
Mead: Capsicumel, Strawberry, Jalapeno, Triple Berry, Blueberry, JOAM (2g), Apfelwein (20g),
On Deck:

Sleepycat Brewery

Old 06-23-2012, 09:01 PM   #9927
DarkBrood
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by opus345 View Post
I would recommend hitting a LHBS shop and pickup a stopper and airlock. If you don't have a LHBS close and don't want to mail order, you could use the ghetto air lock from the Joe's Ancient Orange Mead thread and use a ballon with a pin hole.
A basic "ghetto" airlock can be easily made from any lid with a 1-2' chunk of hose. If you want to have nice seals and be reusable, pick up some rubber 5/8" ID grommets from your local discount hardware store (anywhere from $1.50 each to 10 for a dollar, depending on where you find them). Drill a 1/2" hole in your lid or container and insert the grommet.

Shove a little 3/8"ID:5/8"OD hose (you probably already have some around you can cut the end from....of use a siphon hose) into the grommet and drop the other end into a bucket/jug/bottle of water and you have an extremely effective airlock (i.e. a "blowoff tube" - pretty standard in homebrewing beer).

Without grommets, you can just wrap the and of the hose with some layers of plastic tape and shove it through a neatly drilled hole (I'd use a drillbit and a leather glove) - just be careful your hose exits the hole vertically to maintain a good seal.
WRITER: http://BrewsAndStews.wordpress.com TWITTER @DarkBroodBrews
PHOTOGRAPHER: http://Brian-Gibson.FineArtAmerica.com

Old 06-23-2012, 09:11 PM   #9928
DarkBrood
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdatum View Post
I just finished my second batch. My first batch was in the fermentor for 1 month and then in bottles for 2 months. This time I left it in the fermentor for 4 months and after two weeks in the bottle, the flavor is completely different. Both were dry and tasty, but this second batch has more of an apple flavor and is very smooth.

I hope to repeat this flavor here on out, have most people found that time in fermentor is better than in the bottle?
Time spent in the fermentor with the yeast (both alive and spent) as well as other sedimented byproducts will mean that different reactions will occur within the wine versus time spent in the bottle with a much smaller amount of live yeast and little to no spent yeast or other sediments.

The odd sediments include things such as proteins, enzymes, oils, fruit particles, etc. both from the original juices and from the yeast's reactions, many of which are strong contributors to flavor (many even in minute amounts), both pleasant and unpleasant. When you transfer into bottles, you are separating your product from most of these sediments. Looking at it this way, it is easy to see why extended time in the fermentor with fruit particles can contribute a fuller flavor of the fruit. In the same way, extended time with a larger amount of active yeast give the yeast time to clean up many of the more unpleasant byproducts of fermentation, making a smoother product.

However, the extended time in the bottle will allow the product to finish clearing, allowing the last of the yeast to be removed from the taster's glass and allowing the "converted juice" to truly stand on its own (the apple flavor doesn't actually develop much in the bottle, it's more that the other flavors are slowly reduced, allowing it to shine through more).
WRITER: http://BrewsAndStews.wordpress.com TWITTER @DarkBroodBrews
PHOTOGRAPHER: http://Brian-Gibson.FineArtAmerica.com

Old 06-24-2012, 02:49 PM   #9929
Accidic

Recipes 

Liked 81 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by opus345

If you don't have a LHBS close and don't want to mail order, you could use the ghetto air lock from the Joe's Ancient Orange Mead thread and use a ballon with a pin hole.

When I was younger/poorer we made ours with a couple feet of appropriately sized pvc tubing which you can get super cheap at your nearest lowes and did it blowoff style. Balloons can stress/pop but worst case is your glass of water gets knocked over with a tube.

Old 06-24-2012, 03:20 PM   #9930
Sippin37
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Can you just go yeast starter air lock style? Some sanitized foil over the top? Although I guess that wouldn't work so well if you are using a bucket and lid.

Quick Reply