Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Man, I love Apfelwein

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-13-2012, 12:31 PM   #9881
tellish33
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Do you need to sorbate before bottling if you aren't going to sweeten? I was probably just going to bottle as is and add 7up or something.

Primary:
Secondary: Apfelwein, Pear Wine, Traditional Honey Mead
Bottled: Shot In The Dark, Drunken Emu Mississippi River Water, Skeeter Pee, Simple Hefe, Oatmeal Stout
Future: Drunken Emu Hard Cider

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2012, 12:58 PM   #9882
davis119
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tellish33
Do you need to sorbate before bottling if you aren't going to sweeten? I was probably just going to bottle as is and add 7up or something.
Nope. Only if u want to sweeten with a fermentable

Old 06-13-2012, 02:19 PM   #9883
DarkBrood
Recipes 

Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by tellish33 View Post
If you have truly fermented it "dry", then the yeast has consumed all available sugars that have been broken down enough to be digestible. At this point, the yeast will mostly have gotten tired or overstressed from lack of nutrients and will flocculate out (i.e. sediment to the bottom) - what remains in solution will be dormant (essentially in hibernation). As long as you don't add new sugars or nutrients, that yeast should remain dormant. (It's worth pointing out that an increase in temperature can rouse the yeast and set it back to work on more complicated sugars still in the liquid.)

To be (relatively) sure of a "fully dry" or complete fermentation, the wine must stabilize at a specific gravity that remains constant over several days. Ideally, you should take a gravity reading at your set fermentation temperature, then again about a week later at 10*F or so higher (a gentle short temperature raise at the end of fermentation can help clear out unwanted phenolics/etc. (just read up on diacetyl rests!) and can boost the yeast to finish up, although unpleasant side effects can occur if the temp is raised too fast or too high). This will encourage the maximum amount of reasonable difference in gravity readings (remember to adjust your hydrometer reading for temp!). As long as the difference is measurable, your yeast is still working (it works slower as it gets more tired).

Once you are satisfied that you are done with fermentation, "cold crashing" (i.e. dropping the temp by 10-20*F, again....GENTLY) can help the remaining yeast flocculate out, giving you a clearer, cleaner-tasting product with less yeast in it - which will reduce chances of yeast reawakening in the bottle.

So, basically:
1 - Measure your SG. Raise temp slowly. Measure SG.
2a - If SG has changed, return to fermentation until it does not change.
2b - If SG is constant, drop temp slowly to below original fermentation temp.
3 - Transfer and bottle with comfort and confidence.

By the by, it's worth making sure your fermentation has completed even if backsweetening - otherwise, it is difficult to properly adjust your sweetening to taste, as the residual sweetness remaining will not have the same quality as sugars added later for backsweetening. Also, a completed fermentation does not need nearly as much sorbate, etc. to kill the yeast before backsweetening (less dead yeast in the liquid to effect flavors too). Finally, if you use any software to calculate your projected final gravity, be aware that they all assume that you're finishing the fermentation. Bottling any beer or wine before the fermentation is stable is a gamble for bottle-bombs.
WRITER: http://BrewsAndStews.wordpress.com TWITTER @DarkBroodBrews
PHOTOGRAPHER: http://Brian-Gibson.FineArtAmerica.com

Old 06-13-2012, 02:35 PM   #9884
davis119
Recipes 

^ yeah that's what I meant to say haha

Old 06-13-2012, 03:07 PM   #9885
Kampo
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

so I started a batch 10 days ago as basically a Starter for Skeeter pee with the extra bonus of getting some other cheap booze lol. racked it over to a carboy from an ale pale so I can get at the yeast in the bottom to start the skeeter pee. This stuff is already cleared up quite a bit SG is 1.00 range and fermentation has stopped from what I can see. I did not add any corn sugar, but used 16 cans of Apple Juice Concentrate so it has a OG of 1.058, could this be contributing to it clearing up faster than normal? going to need the carboy for the pee in 10 days or so. If I cold crashed this say Friday next week and bottled Sunday is that rushing things to much? (need pee for a friends bday party july 14th)

I brew like I cook....prolly won't be able to recreat anything I make but i'll try to improve on it

Old 06-13-2012, 05:26 PM   #9886
Raenon
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 3

A small update:

I made a batch of this, and just a month later, I racked and backsweetened with two 12oz cans of applejuice concentrate, and force carbed in a corney.
Then, I transferred the carbed product into four 5L mini-kegs (at ~2-3 psi, using a picnic tap with a racking cane inserted) and sealed them up.

I kept them cold in a cooler of ice, and transported them to Florida (from PA, around 20 hour drive).
Over a 5 day period, I kept them cold with both fresh ice (less needed than I'd imagined though) and in a fridge- then I transported the remaining keg home in the same cooler situation.
So far, keeping at those temps has turned out well, and although yes, the wine is very fresh, it was also quite popular with the party crowd that I was serving it to, maintaining both a nice level of fizziness, sweet apple, clarity, and a substantial alcoholic kick. I served it using the Party Star tap with 12gram CO2 cartridge.

Old 06-13-2012, 05:34 PM   #9887
Sippin37
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Nice! Mine is fermenting currently. What Co2 volume level is appropriate for this style?

Old 06-13-2012, 05:43 PM   #9888
Raenon
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I carbed up to about 3.5 volumes, but I planned to lose a little during transfer since I didn't maintain counterpressure.
If I had to guess at what it was after serving with the party star tap, it felt like somewhere around 2.5, comparing to other beverages that I've carbed using more reliable measurements, and I liked it a lot at that. The wine has so little body it doesn't maintain a head even with additional sugar from the concentrate, but instead had a lacing that resembled champagne, but to a much lower degree.

If you're planning to keg, I'd encourage you to toy with it a bit to see what you like best. I know that I will with my next batch.

Old 06-13-2012, 05:59 PM   #9889
burtonridr
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Just bottled a batch of this a few weeks ago. This batch turned out a lot better than my last batch, its already very drinkable. Nice crisp flavor and just slightly carbonated

Currently into : Rice Wine
In the fermenter: Honey Kolsch, Shining Star Pale Ale, Mead, Rice Raisin Wine.
My Favorites : Honey Kolsch, German Altbier, Apfelwein, Joes Honey mead.

Old 06-13-2012, 06:06 PM   #9890
boxofjibboo
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Do I have to move to secondary? Or can I just let it sit in primary 1-2 months without effected taste?

Quick Reply