Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Man, I love Apfelwein

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-10-2012, 05:29 AM   #9871
america
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironred88
So, my apfelwein has aged for 5 months, and it taste pretty good. (I got sidetracked and time went flying by)

After that amount of time, would there still be any dormant yeast available if I was to prime it before bottling to carb or am I regulated to putting it in wine bottles and enjoying it still? If read almost every post. But I cant seem to be able to remember what the answer is.
Thanks guys!
You should be fine but you could add some more yeast if you wanted... just part of a pack of dry stuff would be more than enough.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2012, 03:27 PM   #9872
maggator
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

If I want to back sweeten a 5 gallon batch, how much Splenda should I add??

Old 06-10-2012, 04:32 PM   #9873
Dr_Jeff
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 52

I started a batch on Friday and the room smells like rotten eggs.

Old 06-10-2012, 06:09 PM   #9874
davis119
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Jeff
Wet rag over the top. Filters it some

Old 06-10-2012, 08:13 PM   #9875
bluenadas
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Jeff
And next time add some yeast nutrient...I've found this reduces that smell to almost nothing as have many others.

Old 06-11-2012, 05:53 PM   #9876
feffer
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggator View Post
If I want to back sweeten a 5 gallon batch, how much Splenda should I add??
I did some research and testing on this a while back. Calculate the amount of sugar you would add, then use about 1/10th that amount of Splenda.

However, do some bench tests first! Try maybe 5 samples with the calculated "ideal" one in the middle. Find the best one, and then calculate how much you need to add to your 5 gallons. Then I would add about 70% of that, wait for a week, and taste your wine. Often, a sweetener gets more intense with some age. It's easy to over-sweeten. If after a week, the taste is not sweet enough, you can add some more.

In the end, I did NOT use Splenda to back-sweeten. It adds a different taste than sugar, and I didn't care for that. But it's your wine, so go with what you like.

Old 06-11-2012, 07:11 PM   #9877
davis119
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by feffer
I did some research and testing on this a while back. Calculate the amount of sugar you would add, then use about 1/10th that amount of Splenda.

However, do some bench tests first! Try maybe 5 samples with the calculated "ideal" one in the middle. Find the best one, and then calculate how much you need to add to your 5 gallons. Then I would add about 70% of that, wait for a week, and taste your wine. Often, a sweetener gets more intense with some age. It's easy to over-sweeten. If after a week, the taste is not sweet enough, you can add some more.

In the end, I did NOT use Splenda to back-sweeten. It adds a different taste than sugar, and I didn't care for that. But it's your wine, so go with what you like.
So in the end. You used table or corn sugar? And how'd u kill off the yeast?

Old 06-11-2012, 10:52 PM   #9878
feffer
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by davis119 View Post
So in the end. You used table or corn sugar? And how'd u kill off the yeast?
I used cane (table) sugar. The wine was first treated with k-meta and potassium sorbate to stabilize it. Doesn't "kill" the yeast, but "controls" them so they won't restart fermentation.

The poster was asking about back-sweetening, so I'm assuming he wants non-carbonated apfelwein but with some sweetness to it. If he is looking for both carbonation and sweetness, then don't use k-sorbate. In that case, either corn or cane sugar for carbonation. For sweetness, add something non-fermentable like Splenda, Stevia or even glycerin and/or cinnamon. The two later ones add "apparent" sweetness.

Or easiest of all, don't bother with additional sugar at all. Leave the wine still, and when serving, add 7up or Club Soda (2 or 3 parts Apfelwein and 1part soda). Some will like it that way; others will like it "original."

Old 06-12-2012, 12:02 AM   #9879
davis119
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by feffer
easiest of all, don't bother with additional sugar at all. Leave the wine still, and when serving, add 7up or Club Soda (2 or 3 parts Apfelwein and 1part soda). Some will like it that way; others will like it "original."

I wanted mine carbed and I think I may want it sweet. My sister is a big reisling fan so I may just try adding a bit of sugar or 7up when serving

Old 06-13-2012, 11:29 AM   #9880
ArrogantBastage
Recipes 

Just kegged five gallons of apfelwein that had been in the carboy for six months. Turned out fantastically crisp, dry, and a little tart. Calculated ABV for the batch is 6.7%. It's going to be on tap for a bbq we have planned in a couple weeks. Looking forward to doing another batch soon.

Quick Reply