Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Man, I love Apfelwein

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-04-2012, 08:07 AM   #9831
DarkBrood
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunnerDude View Post
Wow, thanks for the very detailed response. I obviously missed EdWort's suggestion. And as you realize I misunderstood what people meant when speaking of aging it. I assume they meant in secondary since they speak of being patient. Once it's bottle aging you can always try some. So, not much patience is required.
Well, yes and no. Not as much patience as you were perhaps thinking in terms of total waiting (this is actually an amazingly fast wine). The real trick with the patience is the waiting while knowing it's bottled and already good to drink....knowing it'll be better if you can just wait (but with slight worry about waiting too long....)...

Quote:
As for carbing it, if the yeast is now dead can I even carb it? Do I have to add new yeast? If that latter, I won't bother.
If the yeast is entirely dead, yes. It is likely a portion is dead and a portion is dormant. Siphon off 1-2 pints. Add a little yeast nutrient and/or energizer and some simple sugars (dextrose, honey, table sugar). Shake it up good and put an airlock on it. If you get any CO2 activity, you have successfully roused the yeast. Add your priming sugar, shake it up, pour into your carboy, wait 5-10 minutes, and start bottling.

Remember that most wine bottles aren't made for high levels of carbonation - use beer or champagne bottles if priming!

Quote:
Thanks again for the education. Much appreciated.
No worries, that's what we're all here for. You caught me just waking up with my coffee and a few minutes to spare.
WRITER: http://BrewsAndStews.wordpress.com TWITTER @DarkBroodBrews
PHOTOGRAPHER: http://Brian-Gibson.FineArtAmerica.com

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2012, 02:13 PM   #9832
Grumpybumpy
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Just to add to the body of knowledge: lalvin rc-212 yeast makes a delicious and appley apfelwein

Old 06-04-2012, 02:36 PM   #9833
Recluse
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpybumpy View Post
Just to add to the body of knowledge: lalvin rc-212 yeast makes a delicious and appley apfelwein
Somebody (you?) posted this awhile ago. I am going to try it for my next batch!
So far I have used either Montrachet or EC-1118. I prefer the EC-1118 as crisper, clearer and tastier but neither retains a great deal of apple flavor. Was going to try some D-47, but I think I will try the RC-212.

Old 06-04-2012, 07:57 PM   #9834
bluenadas
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

I tried searching for some distinctive info on two topics but everything seems scattered.

1. Is there a general list of sugar to carb volume that people have used?

2. A general list of back-sweetning sugars and amounts to use? (honey, lactose, Splenda, wine conditioner, etc)

Old 06-04-2012, 08:04 PM   #9835
Recluse
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Depends on preference and how fizzy you like it. I use 1-1.2 oz (by weight) sugar (usually dextrose) per gallon of Apfelwein to carb. Treat it however you treat your beers for the preferred level of carbonation and it should be fine.

Haven't backsweetened, so I can't address #2 other than that honey doesn't belong on the list as it contains fermentable sugars.

Old 06-04-2012, 08:12 PM   #9836
rico567
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 21

I primed with 5 oz. dextrose in 5 gal, just like I do all my beers. Worked out very nicely. I have no interest in back-sweetening, so I wouldn't know about that.

“Malt does more than Milton can / To justify God’s ways to man”

-A. E. Housman (1859–1936). A Shropshire Lad , 1896.

Old 06-04-2012, 08:22 PM   #9837
bluenadas
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recluse
Depends on preference and how fizzy you like it. I use 1-1.2 oz (by weight) sugar (usually dextrose) per gallon of Apfelwein to carb. Treat it however you treat your beers for the preferred level of carbonation and it should be fine.

Haven't backsweetened, so I can't address #2 other than that honey doesn't belong on the list as it contains fermentable sugars.
I put the honey on there as I was thinking of using it with sorbic acid for the flavor really. Guess I could have mentioned that fact for a bit of clarity.

Old 06-04-2012, 09:10 PM   #9838
Recluse
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluenadas View Post
I put the honey on there as I was thinking of using it with sorbic acid for the flavor really. Guess I could have mentioned that fact for a bit of clarity.
OK.. was going to say that you can sorbate/sulfite and honey would be OK.

I have heard that you shouldn't use sorbate alone, as it will stop yeast growth but will not kill active yeast, and can sometimes also lead to off flavors.

Only time I used it to stop a Mead at a sweet stage I used both.

Old 06-04-2012, 11:20 PM   #9839
detlion1643
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Did my very first 5 gallon batch tonight, followed original recipe exact and hope it works right... wifey (swmbo? What's this stand for) is excited for saving money as I can go through a case a weekend... now to play the waiting game

Old 06-04-2012, 11:33 PM   #9840
Xtant

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I should probably get another batch going. I'm drinking on my second batch, right now, with my their batch ready to go.

"Make sure that the beer - four pints a week - goes to the troops under fire before any of the parties in the rear get a drop." -Winston Churchill to his Secretary of War, 1944

Quick Reply