Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Man, I love Apfelwein

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-21-2012, 12:25 PM   #9801
Gear101
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 187

Quote:
Originally Posted by rico567 View Post
It might be well for those unfamiliar with the process to know that what is being referred to as "Deep Amber" sugar is produced by doing something similar to this:

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/20-l...trient-114837/
cool, I posted the question there too. I think it would make it into even more of a fruit wine. Right?
Islamorada Pale Ale by Island Time Brewery

Stainless is Painless

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-23-2012, 05:38 PM   #9802
PDXHollyD
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Hi all! I have read at least 3/4 of this thread, I think, and have two questions.

1. A lot of people said they were doing batches with only one pound of sugar or dextrose, but I couldn't find any follow-up posts where they reported the results. How did those come out, taste-wise? Any idea of how strong they ended up being?

2. Very noob question: after the 2-3 months in the primary carboy, if one moves the wine to corny kegs, do they need to be pressurized for the several-more-month storage period, or do you just pile them up with the still wine in them and pressurize a week before serving time (or serve them straight up at 10-12 like EdWort does?)

Thanks to everyone who's posted here. It's been a fascinating read, and has given me the confidence to dive in and try it out.

-- edit: Make that three questions.

3. I know a lot of people started out carbing half of their output and leaving half still. And it seems a lot of people have switched to carbing the whole batch. Has anyone gone the other way and decided they like it better still?

Old 05-23-2012, 06:58 PM   #9803
Raenon
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I've got a batch a bit over 3 weeks in, and intend to serve it young at a party in 2 more weeks. It's already clearing pretty nice, and though I haven't checked gravity yet, I feel fairly confident that when I do I'll find it fermented dry.

I have been planning to force carb it, and then keg transfer to 5L kegs for travel and then serving (to avoid needing to find a place to chill cornies or needing CO2/faucets), keeping it pretty cold the entire trip.

My question now comes because I'd like to backsweeten it with apple juice concentrate, and I'm concerned that I might force carb, then have fermentation kick off again anyway, spoiling both my aroma/sweetness, whatever clarity I may finally achieve with a batch at 5 weeks, and also overcarb, which might cause the mini-kegs to deform/leak.

I used a packet of Montrachet yeast, and I'm a bit unclear how cold that would have to be to go dormant.

Could I safely keep the wine at ~40F (on ice, 20 hour drive in a cooler, to be loaded into a standard fridge at the destination) and keep the yeast asleep, or do I need to stabilize it?

Would this be an appropriate use for campden tablets, post fermentation?

Would I spoil the flavor with campdens under a deadline- would I need to age it out?

Old 05-23-2012, 07:28 PM   #9804
FlyDoctor
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Here's one question that I don't think I have seen here yet.

I have a batch that is now 3 months old - still on the yeast. I say this, but am unsure. If I look into the bottle (better bottle) the apflewien is nice and clear. The funny thing is I can easily see the botom of the bottle, there seems to be no yeast cake. I used the montrachet yeast as recommended. Did they all lyse?? I tasted it a month ago and it was great - no yeast cake then either. Is this odd???

Old 05-23-2012, 08:06 PM   #9805
rico567
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 83 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXHollyD View Post
Hi all! I have read at least 3/4 of this thread, I think, and have two questions.

1. A lot of people said they were doing batches with only one pound of sugar or dextrose, but I couldn't find any follow-up posts where they reported the results. How did those come out, taste-wise? Any idea of how strong they ended up being?

2. Very noob question: after the 2-3 months in the primary carboy, if one moves the wine to corny kegs, do they need to be pressurized for the several-more-month storage period, or do you just pile them up with the still wine in them and pressurize a week before serving time (or serve them straight up at 10-12 like EdWort does?)

Thanks to everyone who's posted here. It's been a fascinating read, and has given me the confidence to dive in and try it out.

-- edit: Make that three questions.

3. I know a lot of people started out carbing half of their output and leaving half still. And it seems a lot of people have switched to carbing the whole batch. Has anyone gone the other way and decided they like it better still?
I can answer the first question. I made my Apfelwein with the full two pounds of dextrose, but the only effect of no, one, or two pounds of additional dextrose will be the additional alcohol content. With two pounds, I think this figures to be about 8.5%, and it sure seems to have that effect. A pound of dextrose ferments out completely, while contributing no other flavor to the beverage, and it will raise five gallons of Apfelwein by a very predictable amount, I forget what, but it's easy to look up.

As far as No. 2, I have no experience with kegging. As far as No. 3, I primed my whole batch, and I think it's very good.

“Malt does more than Milton can / To justify God’s ways to man”

-A. E. Housman (1859–1936). A Shropshire Lad , 1896.

Old 05-24-2012, 03:46 PM   #9806
FlyDoctor
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyDoctor View Post
Here's one question that I don't think I have seen here yet.

I have a batch that is now 3 months old - still on the yeast. I say this, but am unsure. If I look into the bottle (better bottle) the apflewien is nice and clear. The funny thing is I can easily see the botom of the bottle, there seems to be no yeast cake. I used the montrachet yeast as recommended. Did they all lyse?? I tasted it a month ago and it was great - no yeast cake then either. Is this odd???
Answered my own question today. I racked it to a corny today, and there was a very nice layer of yeast on the bottom, it was just in the recess of the bottle, and I could easily see the "Punt" of the better bottle above the yeast layer.

Can't wait to try this, 3 months and counting...

Old 05-24-2012, 04:56 PM   #9807
dlight
Recipes 

This was the first Apfelwein I made, and it was fantastic. I've been playing around with it though. I made it with 5 lbs honey (costco) instead of dextrose. I like the flavor a little more, and the APV shot up to 12.5%. Next time I'm going to reduce the honey and see what happens. I think something in between would be perfect.

Old 05-24-2012, 05:50 PM   #9808
mastamind
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I have a batch I am going to start soon with brown sugar. But what other types of juice could you do instead of apple? I'm looking for some new stuff to make. All I know it apfelwein and beer. Would like more recipes to utilize the two carboys I have

Old 05-24-2012, 10:18 PM   #9809
america
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastamind
I have a batch I am going to start soon with brown sugar. But what other types of juice could you do instead of apple? I'm looking for some new stuff to make. All I know it apfelwein and beer. Would like more recipes to utilize the two carboys I have
I think you can use just about any flavor juice you want. I have a cran-raspberry (which I topped off with apple to get to 5gal) batch going that just hit the 4 month mark. I should probably check the gravity and taste a sample pretty soon. It was a very odd mix of flavors to start with but im hoping that after the yeast eat all the sugar, it will taste good.

Old 05-25-2012, 12:06 AM   #9810
tennesseean_87
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 84 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 105

Using juice blends from Old Orchard at a rate of half blend and half apple juice then sugared up to 1.07, both wines finished at 1.008. They were cran-apple and blueberry-pomagranate-apple. I am guessing the raspberry apple will do the same, but we've got to wait and see. These were pitched on montrachet yeast cakes.

#8 Corks in Belgian Bottles Hold Carbonation
Increasing Pipeline Diversity
On Deck: Hefeweizen yeast experiment with 3068, T-58, and 3711
Youtube Channel on Homebrewing
Youtube Channel on Pipe Smoking

Quick Reply