Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Man, I love Apfelwein

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2012, 01:03 PM   #9741
Recluse
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by america View Post
What do you carb it too? I've been going really high and like the apple champagne taste...
Absolutely carb it with about 1 oz Dextrose (by weight) per Gallon of apfelwein. Initially I left some still from every batch, but I prefer it carbonated as does my friend who pretty much drinks every batch I make.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2012, 01:05 PM   #9742
Recluse
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveHoward View Post
For those who won't find this because it's buried many pages back: one teaspoon of yeast nutrient/gallon prevents Rhino Farts.
Dosage depends on the nutrient...so check the label. I really liked Fermax, but its been out of stock so I have been using DAP. Seems to work OK. I think the recommended dosage of the Fermax was different from the DAP. Rhino farts are also much less of a problem with EC-1118 yeast vs. Montrachet, but I still add Yeast nutrient.

Old 05-07-2012, 02:28 PM   #9743
Kampo
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Loving this stuff more and more. only have 2 more bottles I'm allowed to drink left...(30 bottles are tagged for being served at my wedding) accidently overcarbed them, but me and the fiance love them. kinda like apple champagne dry but not overly so, bottles don't gush or seem dangerously overcarbed, just when you pop them it has that cool foggey cold c02 haze around the top of the bottle

defiantly going to make this again, not sure if I should risk carbing them the way I did it before,(cup of sugar inverted with a cup of water for 3.75 gallons)

I brew like I cook....prolly won't be able to recreat anything I make but i'll try to improve on it

Old 05-07-2012, 05:35 PM   #9744
A50SNAKE
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 97

hey all my first batch of apfelwein doesn't have much apple flavor to it at all. i used 1118, so I was reading that might be the cause...can I use the apple juice concentrate to bring back some appley flavors? if so how much? I have about 4-5 gallons left in my glass carboy sitting there waiting for me to give it a good home in some wine bottles, with corks...so no bottle bombs please ...thanks.

Old 05-07-2012, 08:29 PM   #9745
KraphtBier
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I'm all in. Gonna do a five or six gallon batch tomorrow depending on how much apple juice I can find that fits the bill. Plan on using 1.5lbs table sugar and a half pound of light brown sugar. Yeast will be K-97 german ale. Sorta worried about the yeast selection but it's what I have and I don't have a LHBS anymore .

If God made anything better than beer, apple pie, and women (in that order)...he kept it for himself.

Old 05-08-2012, 06:22 AM   #9746
mforsman
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Mine is bubbling it away. Just finished drinking the 6th gallon I bought (for the specific purpose of drinking, which is now is killing me) I can't wait to see how amazingly this turns out.

Thank you so much for the recipe.

Homebrew Site: forsmanbrewing.com

Old 05-08-2012, 07:17 AM   #9747
jammin
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 209 Times on 164 Posts
Likes Given: 138

Started 10 gallons this weekend. Hoping to crack into 5 gallons in 3-4 months and save the other for a full year.

Old 05-08-2012, 12:28 PM   #9748
Big_Belgian
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

A homebrewing friend of mine recently had the Crispin cider product that is fermented with Trappist ale yeast ("The Saint"), and said it is very good. I wondered whether, in the nearly 1,000 pages of posts in this thread, anyone has tried a trappist ale yeast with the apfelwein. I'd love to do so, but would appreciate any thoughts on that.

Old 05-08-2012, 01:07 PM   #9749
PoBoy
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Still have 2 gallons of the 5.5 gal I bottled two months ago, which was about 45 days at that point. Keeps tasting better, but won't make 6 months - I should have already started another batch. Will do this weekend; it has become my favorite etoh bev. I use Montrachet per original recipe except I use cane, not corn. Yum with a kick.

yeast...man's best friend

Old 05-08-2012, 03:13 PM   #9750
Raenon
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 29 Posts

So I started a batch of my own on Sunday evening, and by Monday morning, no movement.
Ok, that's expecting too much, just because a well oxygenated wort has activity in 12 hours, using liquid yeast, does NOT mean a shake-aerated must with a 5g packet of dry yeast can do the same, even with nutrient.

It took 24 hours.

Now it's belching out more CO2 than the two beer fermenters next to it did, combined, and it makes the ol' brew closet smell like... well, rhino farts is pretty close.

It's amazing to see the must actually FIZZING from the activity. I've seen beer ferment vigorously with 5 bubbles per second, but this is a near continuous stream, but with NO krausen whatsoever, so blowoff just isn't gonna happen.
If I could hook up an airfilter and a compressor, I think I could probably refill a couple of tanks...

Quick Reply