Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Man, I love Apfelwein

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2012, 10:01 PM   #9731
Recluse
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raenon View Post
So for those who have used both, do you prefer Montrachet or Lalvin 1118? I'm ready to start my first batch, and not sure which to go with.
I prefer Lalvin EC-1118. I find it clears faster, doesn't give Rhino Farts during fermentation (I still use Yeast Nutrient, though) and I think the taste is a little crisper. Oddly enough, a little more sweetness with the EC-1118, in the last few Apfelwein batches, though it usually takes it to dryness and beyond when measured with the hydrometer.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2012, 09:38 AM   #9732
america
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recluse

I prefer Lalvin EC-1118. I find it clears faster, doesn't give Rhino Farts during fermentation (I still use Yeast Nutrient, though) and I think the taste is a little crisper. Oddly enough, a little more sweetness with the EC-1118, in the last few Apfelwein batches, though it usually takes it to dryness and beyond when measured with the hydrometer.
What do you carb it too? I've been going really high and like the apple champagne taste...

Old 05-06-2012, 09:16 PM   #9733
Gear101
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 187

made 5 gallons each of Montrachet and Safe04.. mixed it 50/50 into two kegs.. pretty dam good?!?!?

Islamorada Pale Ale by Island Time Brewery

Stainless is Painless

Old 05-06-2012, 11:15 PM   #9734
BeerDoctor5
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Need help! Brew day with my dad who doesn't know much about brewing. Were making Apfelwein during the mash and I give him the direction to put the yeast packet and the scissors in the sanitizer bucket before we pitch. Run upstairs to do something and come down reach in the bucket. I pull out the stopper and I'm looking for the yeast. Ask him where it is and he says it's in there. He dumped it all in. Turns out he cut the yeast and pitched it into the sanitizer. Sad and funny at the same time.

Question. Will it be ok to pitch tomorrow when I get home from work? Or is this batch lost? Thanks in advance.

Bottled-Backbreaker Blonde Ale, HighwAyPA, EdWort's Apfelwein

Old 05-06-2012, 11:25 PM   #9735
davis119
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts

Wait is this a real question? How will u get the yeast out of the bucket of sanitizer? Or am I misunderstanding? Are u going to Buy new yeast and pitch it when u get home from work?

I had a few today so bare with me

Old 05-07-2012, 12:52 AM   #9736
BeerDoctor5
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by davis119
Wait is this a real question? How will u get the yeast out of the bucket of sanitizer? Or am I misunderstanding? Are u going to Buy new yeast and pitch it when u get home from work?

I had a few today so bare with me
Lol. Dad is that you? No, I will buy new yeast and pitch tomorrow. Just wondering if it's worth my time. Thanks again.

Bottled-Backbreaker Blonde Ale, HighwAyPA, EdWort's Apfelwein

Old 05-07-2012, 02:24 AM   #9737
timdsmith72
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 5

LOL!! Should be fine. Just make sure it's covered/sealed and pitch tomorrow like normal.

Last edited by timdsmith72; 05-07-2012 at 02:24 AM. Reason: Apparently can't spell normal....

Old 05-07-2012, 05:19 AM   #9738
SteveHoward
Recipes 

A few months ago, I posted in this thread that I was testing Pasteur Red on a batch of this. Someone else was trying that as well.

When I bottled, I actually thought the Montrachet yeast was going to be better. After it's had a chance to age a comparable amount of time (> 6 months for both), I have to say that the Montrachet is good, but the Pasteur Red actually has more flavor, and a richer color as well. The only drawback is that the Pasteur Red batch hasn't gotten as sparkling as the Montrachet batch. That may be because it seemed to ferment faster and the SG was a little lower at bottling. For whatever reason, the Montrachet has sparkled to champagne levels and the Pasteur Red batch is much less sparkling.

I don't dislike either, but I have to say I like the flavor and color of the Pasteur Red batch a little better.

I have another batch with Montrachet currently making. I'm going to start another batch with Pasteur Red soon.

Old 05-07-2012, 06:16 AM   #9739
mforsman
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 17

"Brewed" some up tonight! Thanks for the recipe. I can't wait for the rhino farts to start.

Homebrew Site: forsmanbrewing.com

Old 05-07-2012, 06:32 AM   #9740
SteveHoward
Recipes 

For those who won't find this because it's buried many pages back: one teaspoon of yeast nutrient/gallon prevents Rhino Farts.

Quick Reply