Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Man, I love Apfelwein

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2012, 02:43 AM   #9721
louie0202
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 64

I honestly found my favorite way is to keg it and carb it like a champagne almost....

Primary #1: French Saison (AG), Orval Clone (AG), The Number Eight (AG), Argentine Malbec, Belgian Blonde (AG)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2012, 10:33 AM   #9722
Xtant
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by louie0202
I honestly found my favorite way is to keg it and carb it like a champagne almost....
What psi are you setting it to? I'm kegging 10 gallons this weekend. 5 gallons normally, and 5 gallons like champagne. My calculator says 42 psi @ 38* for 5 gallons at 5.5 volumes of CO2. I'm just curious what others are running to make it q sparkling wine....

"Make sure that the beer - four pints a week - goes to the troops under fire before any of the parties in the rear get a drop." -Winston Churchill to his Secretary of War, 1944

Old 05-03-2012, 07:12 PM   #9723
RugerRedhawk
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Can I fill the carboy as full with White Labs WLP775 English Cider Yeast as I did using the montrachet called for in this recipe? Or will it be a more foamy fermentation?

Old 05-03-2012, 08:25 PM   #9724
bruin_ale
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruin_ale View Post
Just bottled my first batch (1 gal). I got 10 bottles, put a half tspn of sucrose in 5 of the bottles for carbing. I got a couple ounces to taste, it was much more tart than I expected - almost lactic like a Berliner but with a nice apple flavor as well. I think I'll like the carbed version of this more, but we shall see. Using the yeast cake for skeeter pee today!
Oh, and I used Lalvin 71B - not sure if that contributed to the tartness or not.
Drank the first still bottle last night. Tartness seems to have disappeared in the bottle... weird. Tasted like what it is, apple wine. Similar to chardonnay but more apple character. The alcohol was noticeable, but not bad - I can tell this will get better as it sits - very drinkable after 6 weeks though. Can't wait to try the carbed versions.

Old 05-03-2012, 10:41 PM   #9725
slunkmonky
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastamind View Post
I can bottle only problem is I still don't have the right amount of bottles yet I need to buy some more from the brew store.All my empties are being used for my beer.

Haha. I hear that. I accidentally opened the wrong yeast and started it hydrating when I started my apple wine so I started my Mead on the same day to save a trip to the brew store to replace the mead yeast. So, 4 gallons Mead, 3 of Apfelwein. I am using a combination of Liter fliptops, 3/4 liter fliptops, and 22 oz beer bottles with oxygen barrier caps.

I happened to buy my juice in 1 gallon glass jugs though and I think I'll alleviate some bottles by just using one of those to store a gallon.

Old 05-03-2012, 11:47 PM   #9726
Raenon
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 3

So for those who have used both, do you prefer Montrachet or Lalvin 1118? I'm ready to start my first batch, and not sure which to go with.

Old 05-05-2012, 12:53 AM   #9727
karmak
Recipes 

Default Kegged after 11-12 weeks

I drew a sample while siphoning into the keg. WOW. Quite the difference from when it was 3 weeks old. It reminds me of a dry gewerts in some way. Very clear, and was able to siphon almost all of it.

That was yesterday, and I drew a sample <24 hours, chilled with slight carbonation and EdWort is not kidding. I can see this to be a bit dangerous since it goes down far too easily. Serve in small doses

Old 05-05-2012, 05:40 AM   #9728
kevokie
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Soooooooooo, why did I not make this sooner?? Holy crap, I drew a hydro sample today, it has been in primary for 3 months minus 9 days. It's good. Very good! I won't be able to bottle until Monday, and am tempted to carb a 6 pack with priming sugar just to see what it's like. I like it still tho, and I am sure it's even better cold. It looks like I will soon be calling Ed a MF'er!

Old 05-05-2012, 08:09 AM   #9729
smagee
Most impressive "member"
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raenon View Post
So for those who have used both, do you prefer Montrachet or Lalvin 1118? I'm ready to start my first batch, and not sure which to go with.
I haven't tested 1118, but I prefer SAF-33 to Montrachet; I feel it leaves a bit more "apfel" to my wein. If you have 33 available, I heartily recommend it.

Old 05-05-2012, 08:18 PM   #9730
A50SNAKE
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 91

My apfelwein I made with 1118 & there is very little apple taste, there's smell but hardly any taste, going to have to sweeten with apple concentrate to get some apple flavor back I think. After making this, my first batch, I read that 1118 sometimes strips out the fruit flavor/taste. Ofcourse not until after I made mine & let it age over 5 months now ...oh well, I've still got lots of high hopes for this recipe, going to try to track down some montrachet or nottingham around here, but might have to order them online, we'll see. Thanks again edwort!

Quick Reply