Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Man, I love Apfelwein

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2012, 02:30 PM   #9461
Xtant
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I just loaded two carboys up with Biermunchers centennial blond last night. Fairly low gravity beers with notty from a starter. Both blow-offs were going crazy...so much so, that I poured about half the sanitized water out of each jug because I was afraid they might overflow before the end of the day...

And on topic, the two batches of Apfelwein I threw together yesterday were happily bubbling, too.

"Make sure that the beer - four pints a week - goes to the troops under fire before any of the parties in the rear get a drop." -Winston Churchill to his Secretary of War, 1944

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2012, 11:46 PM   #9462
Jimbob904
Recipes 

Hokay, time for a report. I threw together 3 separate gallons, 1 each with lavin 1118, montrachet, and bread yeast. SWMBO and I have been thieving drinks for the past week, so I did not have much to bottle this morning.

I have 2 bottles of each lavin 1118 and montrachet. One of each has been carbed with 1/2 tsp sugar and put into regular bottles, and the other of each into 375ml champagne bottles with 1 tsp sugar (to see just how sparkling it'll get).The remainder of each was poured into one container to settle.

The bread yeast was interesting. Even with most of the yeast dropping out, it was still pretty hazy. Anytime the lees were stirred up (as in I poured a glass) the blowoff tube would start bubbling again. It didn't taste too bad, but have a definite pong to get past. I drank as much as I could, and now the bit left is headed for the trash.

The 1118 cleared up faster than the montrachet, and SWMBO liked it better. She prefers to have it with a little sugar, but not bubbly. All 3 tasted similar to what I drank in Frankfurt 20 years ago, and were well within the range of the multiple brands and brewing establishments I remember.

I have been looking for this in the States for many years. Now I have it.

Old 03-20-2012, 01:20 AM   #9463
kapbrew13
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 33 Posts

So I forgot about this in the corner of my fermentation chamber for about 7 months. Finally transfered it to a keg tonight. Tastes like white wine but with apple flavor. I guess I got lucky with the long aging in the primary.

Old 03-20-2012, 04:30 AM   #9464
BeerDoctor5
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 16

I made my 5 gal batch on 2/20 following Edwort's directions 100%. I was hoping to bottle it next week so I took a gravity reading and sampled tonight. The SG was 1.006, which seems a bit high. It tastes great! I'm worried that I shouldn't bottle it next week unless the gravity goes down. Is the 1.006 gravity reading normal after four weeks of fermentation? Temps have been around 67 the entire time.

Bottled-Backbreaker Blonde Ale, HighwAyPA, EdWort's Apfelwein

Old 03-20-2012, 04:45 AM   #9465
smagee
Most impressive "member"
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerDoctor5
I made my 5 gal batch on 2/20 following Edwort's directions 100%. I was hoping to bottle it next week so I took a gravity reading and sampled tonight. The SG was 1.006, which seems a bit high. It tastes great! I'm worried that I shouldn't bottle it next week unless the gravity goes down. Is the 1.006 gravity reading normal after four weeks of fermentation? Temps have been around 67 the entire time.
Just check the gravity again before you bottle. If it's still at .006, you're fine.

Old 03-20-2012, 11:40 AM   #9466
DarkBrood
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by smagee View Post
Just check the gravity again before you bottle. If it's still at .006, you're fine.
Yup - when considering bottling anything, the FG number is less important than the stability of that number. If your gravity hasn't changed in a few days (or better, in a week), then your ferment can be considered complete - if it's still dropping on its own, then continue watching and waiting. Cheers!
WRITER: http://BrewsAndStews.wordpress.com TWITTER @DarkBroodBrews
PHOTOGRAPHER: http://Brian-Gibson.FineArtAmerica.com

Old 03-20-2012, 01:57 PM   #9467
kapbrew13
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
If your not in a hurry. Let it age up to 3 months. What temp you fermenting at?

Old 03-20-2012, 02:18 PM   #9468
BeerDoctor5
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by smagee View Post
I'll do that. Just wondering if anybody else has had this high of a FG reading with EdWort's Apfelwein.

Old 03-20-2012, 02:20 PM   #9469
BeerDoctor5
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapbrew13 View Post
If your not in a hurry. Let it age up to 3 months. What temp you fermenting at?
About 67F. I don't know if I can wait 3 months on this batch I was planning on bottling and then starting another batch right away. That batch should have a better chance of aging 3 months...SHOULD

Old 03-20-2012, 02:29 PM   #9470
kapbrew13
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:

About 67F. I don't know if I can wait 3 months on this batch I was planning on bottling and then starting another batch right away. That batch should have a better chance of aging 3 months...SHOULD
I think people notice more apple flavor as it ages. My aged one takes like white wine with hints of apples. Mixed with sprite, wonderful.

Quick Reply