Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Man, I love Apfelwein

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-29-2012, 04:56 AM   #9321
smagee
Most impressive "member"
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

The bottling question wasn't really all that dumb; carbonating in wine bottles could be an awful idea, as they typically aren't designed to handle the pressure (hence why champagne comes in champagne bottles--and with champagne corks, at that).

You'd be much better served bottling in regular beer bottles (either 12 or 22oz) with a standard beer cap. I'm not sure whether wine bottles would kerplode or not, but I do know I wouldn't want to take the chance.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-29-2012, 10:41 AM   #9322
tennesseean_87
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 84 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 105

At the least, I think the corks would blow from the pressure if you use wine bottles.

Strange things are afoot in my fermenter. When I bottled my cranpfel, something happened with my siphon. Maybe there's was an air leak or it was getting clogged with trub or something. Either way, I stirred up some yeast when I was trying to restart the syphon (to no avail). Since it was late, I threw it on the porch in the cold and figured I'd bottle later after the yeast dropped. They didn't. I finally stuck it in a normal fridge at a house I'm sitting for this week, thinking constant temps that low would surely clear it. It's been in there a few day, and only the top 1"-2" is clear, then a clear line dividing the cloudiness below. I walk in this morning to find--the airlock bubbling fast! It had been sitting for 2+ months, and weighed in at 1.008ish. I see no other reason for offgassing, etc. since it's at a stable temp and has been sitting there for a few days. I guess yeast do what yeast want to do.

Old 02-29-2012, 11:30 AM   #9323
BobJ
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Swing top bottles are also good for carbonation.....

Old 02-29-2012, 01:33 PM   #9324
DarkBrood
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennesseean_87 View Post
At the least, I think the corks would blow from the pressure if you use wine bottles.

Strange things are afoot in my fermenter. When I bottled my cranpfel, something happened with my siphon. Maybe there's was an air leak or it was getting clogged with trub or something. Either way, I stirred up some yeast when I was trying to restart the syphon (to no avail). Since it was late, I threw it on the porch in the cold and figured I'd bottle later after the yeast dropped. They didn't. I finally stuck it in a normal fridge at a house I'm sitting for this week, thinking constant temps that low would surely clear it. It's been in there a few day, and only the top 1"-2" is clear, then a clear line dividing the cloudiness below. I walk in this morning to find--the airlock bubbling fast! It had been sitting for 2+ months, and weighed in at 1.008ish. I see no other reason for offgassing, etc. since it's at a stable temp and has been sitting there for a few days. I guess yeast do what yeast want to do.
Hmmmm....I'd take a careful smell (and perhaps a taste). A "stable" fermentation that restarts itself "spontaneously" is usually a sign of a wild yeast or bacterial infection of some kind. Keep an eye for any pellicle or deposit forming on your carboy near the liquid line - things that look unusual usually are. An infection doesn't mean that your batch is ruined, though....you may need a longer fermentation cycle, might want to consider transferring to a secondary fermenter, and will likely have some unexpected aromas and flavors. After all, beer brewers regularly infect our beers with such things on purpose!
FERMENTING: Black Imp
SOUR PROGRAM: Misterioux Ayahel, Ommedubbel, Pucker Knight, Lambicus Minimus

Old 02-29-2012, 03:56 PM   #9325
kc9eci
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkBrood View Post
And honestly, if you're that new to it all, just forget about kegging for now. You'll need a keg (which can be hard to find legally in some places and are rarely cheap)

Huh? What? How about any number of vendors via the internet like oh I don't know, kegconnection.com or http://kegcowboy.com/ or http://www.monsterbrew.com or...well you get the idea.

Police, Firefighters and EMS are the most collectively dysfunctional group of people in existence and only we understand each other.

Old 02-29-2012, 05:33 PM   #9326
tennesseean_87
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 84 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 105

Maybe I was being a bit hasty this morning. I think it might have been the temperature fluctuation in the fridge as it cycled on and off, because i looked later and it wasn't bubbling until I stood there with the door open for a minute. The next time I looked, the airlock pressure was reversed. I am still such a n00b.

#8 Corks in Belgian Bottles Hold Carbonation
Increasing Pipeline Diversity
On Deck: Hefeweizen yeast experiment with 3068, T-58, and 3711
Youtube Channel on Homebrewing
Youtube Channel on Pipe Smoking

Old 02-29-2012, 06:20 PM   #9327
smagee
Most impressive "member"
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

I'd bet the bubbling was more from some degassing from the movement. Even if you manage to infect a batch of this, what sugar is the wild yeast going to eat? Sure, there's a little present, but the risk is rather slim, in my book.

You might try some gelatin to clarify, if you really want to clean it up.

Old 03-01-2012, 01:53 AM   #9328
LMGK
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Well this **** will get you going. Do not take a beer drinkers approach.

Old 03-01-2012, 04:44 AM   #9329
jholen
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

Bottled with 3/4 cup brown sugar.

Didn't have enough left for the last bottle, so I'm drinking that as we speak! Loving this stuff.

Old 03-02-2012, 03:20 AM   #9330
t3e871
Recipes 

I have all ingredients ready to go except I only have Lalvin D47 and Lalvin 71B 1122 wine yeast available. I have lots of ale yeast too. I'm leaning toward the 71B-1122 because it tolerates temps up to 86F and this batch will be sitting in my extra room closet all summer. I doubt it will get over 78F, but the D47 high temp range is listed at 68F. Any advice from the yeast/apfelwein experts?

Quick Reply