The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Man, I love Apfelwein

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2012, 10:13 PM   #9311
gungnir77
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Ok. I went straight the hell home from work and made this exactly to specifications. 3 very long damn months to go.......

image-3221219967.jpg  
Old 02-28-2012, 10:38 PM   #9312
DarkBrood
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuinnessGuy74 View Post
New homebrewer here. I just mixed up a batch using the original recipe to the T. I think my hydrometer might be off. Can anyone tell me what your starting gravity was for the original unmodified recipe? I measured at 54 and that seems a bit low to me...
That might be a tiny bit low, but a lot depends upon the juice that you're starting with - every brand will be different. Most people seem to be starting in the 1.050-1.070 range, so you should be fine. If you're concerned about it not being strong enough, just add some more dextrose or honey.
FERMENTING: Black Imp
SOUR PROGRAM: Misterioux Ayahel, Ommedubbel, Pucker Knight, Lambicus Minimus

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2012, 10:44 PM   #9313
DarkBrood
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMGK View Post
Can you substitute cane sugar in place of corn sugar? I am all out of corn. Will it affect taste? I tried reading through threads but couldn't find a similar question post. Thanks
Cane sugar (i.e. normal table sugar) has a long-standing reputation for creating winey and cidery aromas and flavors when used in excess in beers and wines - an effect that increases with aging (which is why it's generally more "acceptable" in beer than in wine). However, these reputations largely come from the early homebrewers of the '60s and '70s who were largely extract brewers supplementing with waaaay too much of it (like my father, whose standby beer recipe was a can of Coopers extract with an equal weight of table sugar...and not much else).

That said, 2# in 5+ gallons shouldn't be too much of an issue.

P.S. For those who are concerned about cane sugar usage and are considering using brown sugar - be sure to check your labels...many brown sugars are simply table sugar with a bit of molasses or caramelization, rather than the unrefined brown sugars that you want (which will probably carry different labels as turbinado, raw, etc.)

Old 02-28-2012, 10:52 PM   #9314
DarkBrood
Recipes 

"Brewed" (i.e. mixed up) a first Apfelwine batch on January 19 with 5 gallons of Wally-World juice, 2# dextrose, and Lalvin 71B-1122 with an O.G. around 1.065 (I was in a hurry and distracted in poor light, so the reading was iffy). Pulled a sample yesterday for testing....(almost 7 weeks)....O.G. is around 0.095, taste is slightly tart, distinctly apple-y, and quite yummy already (now I see why so many people have a hard time letting this age long enough!)...and SWMBO agreed!

I'll be mixing in 1# of lactose (of course, dissolved in boiled water and cooled) to backsweeten some. After another week or two, another taste-test will determine whether to prime with dextrose or juice concentrate. SWMBO has decreed that half shall be bottled still and half carbonated. (My mind is awhirl with ideas of added some of the frozen blueberries from last summers' farm work, various spices, other juices (that crapfelwine sounds good!), etc...)

Old 02-28-2012, 10:52 PM   #9315
DarkBrood
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gungnir77 View Post
Ok. I went straight the hell home from work and made this exactly to specifications. 3 very long damn months to go.......
'sup to you.....'tis yummy after about 1....
gungnir77 Likes This 
Old 02-28-2012, 11:37 PM   #9316
america
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkBrood

'sup to you.....'tis yummy after about 1....
Its way too harsh after just a month. 6 is much much better.

I did just make a batch with champagne yeast and it doesn't taste so bad after a month, but ill let it go at least 1-2 more before bottling.

Old 02-28-2012, 11:43 PM   #9317
tommybjr
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Has anyone used cinnamon? If so, how much and how did it turn out?

Thanks

Old 02-29-2012, 12:16 AM   #9318
GuinnessGuy74
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkBrood View Post
That might be a tiny bit low, but a lot depends upon the juice that you're starting with - every brand will be different. Most people seem to be starting in the 1.050-1.070 range, so you should be fine. If you're concerned about it not being strong enough, just add some more dextrose or honey.
Ok. I checked my hydrometer in distilled water. A smidge low, maybe a point (.999). I then checked some of the leftover juice. 1.050. Now corn sugar should add about 46 points per gallon, so I should have been expecting 1.065-70 (about 18 points over the juice).

Now I MUST have read my hydrometer wrong (More like 65 instead of 50) right??

Thanks for the help!
Jim

Old 02-29-2012, 02:12 AM   #9319
PoBoy
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Have six gallons thirty days in the Better Bottle, clearing nicely with only an occasional bubble now - if that. Looking forward to tasting in a couple weeks. Read a couple thousand posts in this thread, learned a lot from that - then found a nearby LHBS and bought the Bottle, airlock, tubing and Montrachet (the bare necessities) and Tree Top juice from Wally. Used cane sugar.

Just a frugal guy lookin' for an affordable source for my daily USDA-recommended ETOH requirements. Really plan on liking this stuff because I'm a real cheapskate and that bottle alone was almost thirty bucks! Will take more than one batch to make the investment pay off.

yeast...man's best friend

kc9eci Likes This 
Old 02-29-2012, 03:19 AM   #9320
DarkBrood
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanthefreak View Post
Im new to winemaking, just joined this forum yesterday. After its ready for bottling, what do you bottle it in, how do you carbonate it. And i seen you keg it, how do you do that?
Ya bottle it in...dum, da da dum! ...BOTTLES! Err...what kind...umm...how 'bout WINE bottles? (Sorry, but ask a dumb question.....)

More helpfully about the carbonation, then... you can bottle this "still" and it'll end up drinking like a fruit wine. That's simple...just siphon it into bottles, cork 'em and store for a while. To carbonate, boil a little water for 5 minutes, add some dextrose (i.e. corn sugar), let for a touch more, cool it down, and add to the fermenter. Bottle immediately (before the yeast starts working on it). Adding a little will give a little carbonation. Adding about 3/4c (the "standard" for a 5-gallon batch of beer) will give you carbonation similar to a beer. Adding more will give you champagne-like carbonation. Add too much and your bottles will eventually explode (i.e. NOT good).

And honestly, if you're that new to it all, just forget about kegging for now. You'll need a keg (which can be hard to find legally in some places and are rarely cheap), plus an assortment of other goodies to load it up....then more toys to dispense. Not to mention that it is...shall we say "problematic" to chill your drinks if they're in a keg and you only have one fridge.

Quick Reply