New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Man, I love Apfelwein

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2012, 04:54 AM   #9201
smagee
Most impressive "member"
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpybumpy View Post
Are we racking at 3 months to avoid autolysis? I'm lazy and would like to put off bottling until it's drinkable (read: incredible)
I've had a batch on yeast for around 4 months now due to laziness. My last one sat on the cake for around 5. I wouldn't go longer than 6, but that's mostly an arbitrary line, in my book. For what it's worth, all my batches have been tasty at around 4-5 months, and none lasted long enough for me to say whether a year is better .

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2012, 02:52 PM   #9202
Sarisa
Recipes 

Ok, Saw bubbles in the airlock today and decided to get the rest of the juice and sugar and mix them in.

Oddly I think there's something wrong, it's already starting to smell like I'd assume the men's room in babylon 5 would smell like. Then again the temp in the fermentation room is stable 75F

Old 02-13-2012, 02:59 PM   #9203
rhamilton
Recipes 

Liked 63 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarisa View Post
Ok, Saw bubbles in the airlock today and decided to get the rest of the juice and sugar and mix them in.

Oddly I think there's something wrong, it's already starting to smell like I'd assume the men's room in babylon 5 would smell like. Then again the temp in the fermentation room is stable 75F
It's stinky. Mine is on day #6 @ 63 degrees and still smelling like rhino farts.
Kegged: County Jail Pale Ale, AHS Anniv IPA, AHS Brooklyn Brown, Raspberry Wheat, Blood Orange Hefe, Ranger IPA clone (x2), Newcastle clone, AHS Irish Red, Centennial Blonde
Bottled: Session Series Belgian Saison, Apocalypso, Pecan Porter, DFH 90 Minute Clone, Apfelwein (x2), Wytchmaker Rye IPA Clone, Vienna/Simcoe SMaSH, Munich/Cascade SMaSH

Old 02-13-2012, 03:04 PM   #9204
CreamyGoodness
Grows On You Like Yeast

Recipes 

Liked 1501 Times on 1073 Posts
Likes Given: 2285

Someone here suggested I stir mine with a copper rod to reduce the sulphur (it was at 3 months in the fermenter and never stopped smelling). So, challenge accepted, I got some copper wire, put three strands into a drill and hit the trigger a couple times. Voila! a braided copper rod (which I keep out of SWMBO's reach so that she cant hit me with it). I really think the stirring helped dispel a lot of the rhino farts, and its currently clearing again in the fridge...

You are more likely to have a threesome with members of the Japanese women's curling team whilst spinning a plate on your head than you are likely to screw up a batch of JAOM.

YES, WE HAVE TRIED OTHER YEASTS! USE BREAD YEAST FOR JAOM!

Old 02-13-2012, 03:36 PM   #9205
Ironred88
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Thanks Smagee, i'll give them a swirl and see what happens.

Im pretty excited to try this stuff out!

Old 02-13-2012, 03:45 PM   #9206
jgerard
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Just kegged some up after just under 3 weeks in primary made from frozen concentrate, brown sugar, nutrient, and premier cuvee. OG was 1.081, FG was .996. Going to force carb it today to probably around 2.5 volumes.

I reccomend trying this yeast. I haven't tried the Montrachet yet (I will on my next batch after I reuse this cuvee once) but thr turnaround with this stuff is fast and it tastes amazing. If the Montrachet is worth that much of a wait then the true recipe must be insanely good.

Old 02-13-2012, 03:58 PM   #9207
musicawal
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I brewed this on 1/17 and was planning on kegging a little after a month. I changed it up a little bit with 4gals organic apple juice, 1/2gal organic apple cider, brown sugar, and a pack of US-05. Just wondering though as it seems now everyone leaves this in the fermenter for months where as the original recipe and poster good ol EdWort says he ferments for "at least" a month but kegged often at a month or a little more. I guess my question is is this really not that drinkable after a month?

Old 02-13-2012, 04:50 PM   #9208
kc9eci
Recipes 

Just sampled mine at the 4 week mark Sunday...yum. Going to let it sit in the fermenter for another week though and then transfer to a 5 gallon keg.

Old 02-13-2012, 06:22 PM   #9209
smagee
Most impressive "member"

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicawal View Post
I brewed this on 1/17 and was planning on kegging a little after a month. I changed it up a little bit with 4gals organic apple juice, 1/2gal organic apple cider, brown sugar, and a pack of US-05. Just wondering though as it seems now everyone leaves this in the fermenter for months where as the original recipe and poster good ol EdWort says he ferments for "at least" a month but kegged often at a month or a little more. I guess my question is is this really not that drinkable after a month?
I think the point to take away isn't that it's undrinkable after a month (in my experience, it is) so much as it's significantly better after much longer. After a month, some of the flavors really haven't developed and you can get a pretty strong alcohol burn that tends to hide the apple flavor. These aspects mellow out after time. So yes, you can drink it early, and it'll probably be tasty, but it's still worth waiting if you can.

Old 02-13-2012, 11:05 PM   #9210
aacampora
Recipes 

Ok it has been 35 days since pitching my reading is just under 1.000. I racked off the yeast cake it tastes good but dry. I was thinking of splitting up and adding maple syrup to 2 gallons of the stuff then taking 1 gallon and adding a ginger extract. Now on the maple should I add it in secondary or as a primer for the conditioning? Same question on the ginger extract do I add to secondary or just before bottling?

Quick Reply