Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Man, I love Apfelwein

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2012, 04:55 PM   #9111
Jukas
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 21

I sampled my first batch after confirmed it had fermented out. It tasted sour and very hot but it's only a month old. I stuck it in the back of the closet and will try and forget about it for at least another 2 months and try again.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2012, 05:53 PM   #9112
nukinfuts29
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukas View Post
I sampled my first batch after confirmed it had fermented out. It tasted sour and very hot but it's only a month old. I stuck it in the back of the closet and will try and forget about it for at least another 2 months and try again.
Temperature has everything to do with it. You will notice that when it's cold some more of the apple characteristics will come out, and it won't seem nearly as hot if at all.

My Recipes: Drunken Emu Hard Cider, Drunken Emu Mississippi River Water
The Jack Keller Collection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt_Kirks View Post
Patience, my Padawon. The yeast can sense your tension.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Maybe you want to educate yourself instead of just having a bunch of pre-conceived notions based on ignorance.

Old 02-04-2012, 01:34 AM   #9113
LMGK
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Hello,

This is my first post and I would like to know if it would be possible to ferment approximately 50 gallons of apfelwine inside of a 55 gallon food grade #2 ex sauge casing blue drum. It has no scratches and has been thoroughly cleaned and now containers sanitizer. Star San mix approx 15 gallons. Myself and a few friends have been throwing the idea around and I am just wondering if such a volume would significantly affect the fermentation process. Also the barrel would be left in an uninsulated garage. Any comments or suggestions would be helful. Overall the reciepe would be followed on a scaled up version. Maybe do a starter. Would like to get this going once spring hits new York area. Additionally I would like to leave it for about 4 months in the primary barrel. If anyone knows or has done large batches I would like any tips or concerns. Thanks

Old 02-04-2012, 12:17 PM   #9114
SwampassJ
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 53

How many viable yeast cells are supposed to be in the dry montrachet packages? It might be easier to just pitch 10-20 packs at 60-80 cents a piece.

BLAH BLAH BLAH

Old 02-04-2012, 12:48 PM   #9115
nukinfuts29
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMGK
Hello,

This is my first post and I would like to know if it would be possible to ferment approximately 50 gallons of apfelwine inside of a 55 gallon food grade #2 ex sauge casing blue drum. It has no scratches and has been thoroughly cleaned and now containers sanitizer. Star San mix approx 15 gallons. Myself and a few friends have been throwing the idea around and I am just wondering if such a volume would significantly affect the fermentation process. Also the barrel would be left in an uninsulated garage. Any comments or suggestions would be helful. Overall the reciepe would be followed on a scaled up version. Maybe do a starter. Would like to get this going once spring hits new York area. Additionally I would like to leave it for about 4 months in the primary barrel. If anyone knows or has done large batches I would like any tips or concerns. Thanks
No reason you cant use it. Your going to need to keep the temp between 65 and 75. No starter needed, pitch 10 packets of yeast. No less than that, and no more really needed.

I have made 15.5 gallon batches in one of my large tanks, and i have made 30+ gallons of other things in my 50 gallon drums. Simply scale up.

Quote:
Quote:
Maybe you want to educate yourself instead of just having a bunch of pre-conceived notions based on ignorance.

Old 02-04-2012, 01:58 PM   #9116
LMGK
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Sounds good, now do you think the internal fermentation going on inside will swing the temperature significantly hotter like beer fermentation. If we kick this project off probably be when temps are avg in the 50s low 60s. Could I count of the fermentation process to make internal fermentation hover aroun mid 60s. Probably keep the garage heated for a few days until ferment starts if that's not the case.

Old 02-04-2012, 06:16 PM   #9117
brew2enjoy
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 31 Posts

Default FG seems high

I transfered my apfelwein to my glass 5 gallon carboy today to let it age for a month or two. (I needed my 6 gallon better bottle for another beer). It has been in the primary for a month. Airlock activity stopped a week ago and it has started to clear up. My concern is that my gravity reading is 1.010. Any idea why it seems to have finished so high? It tastes great so I am not too worried if it's finished just curious.

Old 02-04-2012, 07:55 PM   #9118
wookiemofo
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Speaking of ferment temps, can someone tell me how crucial controlling the temps of this are? I have a fridge i use to ferment in at a constant 60-70 degrees (pending on the beer), but I don't have room in it for a 5 gallon & a 6.5 gallon carboy. So I was planning on just stashing this away in the corner of the basement where temps will range from low to mid 60's... it just wont be a controlled constant.

Will I be ok?

Old 02-04-2012, 08:05 PM   #9119
wookiemofo
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I should note that I am using Wyeast 3068

Old 02-04-2012, 08:42 PM   #9120
nukinfuts29
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMGK View Post
Sounds good, now do you think the internal fermentation going on inside will swing the temperature significantly hotter like beer fermentation. If we kick this project off probably be when temps are avg in the 50s low 60s. Could I count of the fermentation process to make internal fermentation hover aroun mid 60s. Probably keep the garage heated for a few days until ferment starts if that's not the case.
No way it's going to generate 10 degrees. Maybe 1-2 but not 10. You really don't want to be below 65F even more so with such a large batch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wookiemofo View Post
Speaking of ferment temps, can someone tell me how crucial controlling the temps of this are? I have a fridge i use to ferment in at a constant 60-70 degrees (pending on the beer), but I don't have room in it for a 5 gallon & a 6.5 gallon carboy. So I was planning on just stashing this away in the corner of the basement where temps will range from low to mid 60's... it just wont be a controlled constant.

Will I be ok?
Temps are important as the yeast requires them to be. I don't know about your yeast, read the package and stay in the suggested temp range.

Quote:
Quote:

Quick Reply