Man, I love Apfelwein

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How high can I carb. this stuff safely in grolsch style bottles? I'm making 3 gallons & want to achieve a champagne-like carbonation.

Hi guys,

I made my first batch of Apfelwein to the instructions from Ed Wort. I let it ferment for close to 5 weeks. I carbed and bottled it a week ago. I sampled it after one week in the bottle. It had a really nice flavor but it tasted a little watery. I am wondering if this is normal or if it gets more flavor the longer its in the bottles.

Also, I used Tree Top apple juice from concentrate which I was told was OK - not sure if this matters.

Richard said:
What is the correct way to pronounce "Apfelwein"?

Mein deutsches Aussprache has probably suffered in the intervening years, but I'd say something like "ahp-fehl-vine".

Quick question regarding fermentation and bottling.

Mine has been sitting a tad longer than 5 weeks. It's nice and clear now so I took a reading last night. It appears to be at 1.000 or a tad under-- .999 or so. From the sounds of things, it seems to be done.

I want to carbonate this but i'm unsure on the amount of priming sugar to use. And also with the priming sugar, would I just boil it with water like i would with priming a beer?

Any assistance would be appreciated:tank:

riored4v said:
Quick question regarding fermentation and bottling.

Mine has been sitting a tad longer than 5 weeks. It's nice and clear now so I took a reading last night. It appears to be at 1.000 or a tad under-- .999 or so. From the sounds of things, it seems to be done.

I want to carbonate this but i'm unsure on the amount of priming sugar to use. And also with the priming sugar, would I just boil it with water like i would with priming a beer?

Any assistance would be appreciated:tank:

Hmm, you're probably OK to bottle but this is still a tad high. Is it clear, or did you use natural juice with a bunch of gunk in it? That could explain the higher readings.

Prime and carb exactly like you like your beer. Be warned, though, it takes FOREVER to carbonate. My first two batches took a month @ 68-69.

blacklab said:
Hmm, you're probably OK to bottle but this is still a tad high. Is it clear, or did you use natural juice with a bunch of gunk in it? That could explain the higher readings.

Prime and carb exactly like you like your beer. Be warned, though, it takes FOREVER to carbonate. My first two batches took a month @ 68-69.

Good to know about the carbing. I want to have this ready to bring on a camping trip that is a month away. What's a good amount to use?

I used the EXACT same recipe that was posted up by Ed. It's pretty dang clear in the carboy.. i can see through it perfectly and it was crystal clear in the test tube.

Guinness71 said:
I have to say - as everyone else has already.. I cracked open my first one today - and yes.. You are a God Ed... :mug:

I know, but that's with a lower case g please. Thank you. :D Now waiting for blacklab to chime in.

riored4v said:
Good to know about the carbing. I want to have this ready to bring on a camping trip that is a month away. What's a good amount to use?

I like higher carbonation, so I went with four volumes of CO2 (roughly 8.5 oz of dextrose under the conditions I bottled). However, the stuff I drink from the keg with much lower carbonation still is quite good.

TL

TexLaw said:
I like higher carbonation, so I went with four volumes of CO2 (roughly 8.5 oz of dextrose under the conditions I bottled). However, the stuff I drink from the keg with much lower carbonation still is quite good.

TL

So 4x carbing is safe in bottles without having to worry about making a bottle bomb? If 8.5oz is 4x, does that mean you normally use 2.125oz per batch? That seems to be half of what I've been using.

I'm doing 3 gallons & want some extra carbonation (maybe 2x) and was wondering if that's safe for my grolsch bottles. If you're doing 4x with no issues then I feel safe going 2x.

I'm planning on using 5 oz. for my 3 gallons. Safe? or too much?

Took a sample out from my batch started a bit over a month ago (first try at brewing anything)...I'll post all my notes below.
This will take longer than most it seems as I don't really heat my home more than 65.
I probably should by a brew belt it seems...however, once I complete finishing my basement I should be OK. I'm going to frame out my furnace room with extra space for shelfs where it will be warmer and more temp controlled so that should be a good space for fermenting friends I'm hoping...

Ed Worts Apfelwein
Batch #1
2008-03-04 9:00pm

Approx 5gal 100% Apple Juice
2 lb. dextrose
1 5gm. packet Montrachet Wine yeast

SG: 1.066 taken 2hrs after pitch

3-5 Average temp on carboy 63/64. Small slow co2 18-24 hours from pitch. No airlock activity yet. Little cloudy w/some suspended yeast.
3-6 Average temp 64/66. Constant co2 on sides 48 hours from pitch. Fizzy looking with airlock burping 1 per sec. Slight apple smell obvious.
3-9 Average temp 68. Lighter color and cloudy. Airlock 1 per 2-3 sec.
3-13 Average temp 66/67. Slower co2 on sides w/airlock 1 per 4-5 sec.
3-17 “ “ . Airlock 1 per 9 sec. Light color and still cloudy.
4-9 Average temp 63/64. Small co2 but constant around sides. Airlock 1 per maybe 45-50 sec. Pulled carboy from container…cloudy w/yeast on bottom. Hydrometer reading at 1.006. Compared to source apple juice its still pretty cloudy and paler. Taste seemed a bit tart and maybe even a little hot. Put carboy back in container with a bit of a shake and in 1hr after seal co2 moving and airlock 1 per 38-40 sec.

Shaggy,

After a couple more weeks, it should be down close to 1.000. If your juice was cloudy to begin with, it will not clear. If it was clear, it will begin to clear when the yeast are finished with their meal and start to settle down for a long nap. :D

Soperbrew said:
I'm planning on using 5 oz. for my 3 gallons. Safe? or too much?

I bottle my apfelwein in one liter, swing-top bottles that are fairly thick. I do not know if four volumes of CO2 is safe in a normal beer bottle, just because I haven't done it.

TL

TexLaw said:

TL

Would you consider 4 volumes pretty close to that of a cider? I'm looking to try and get something close carbonation wise that a bottled cider would be since i made this for some girl friends.

*edit* just saw you're not sure about 4 volumes in a beer bottle. Hmm.. that might make me nervous taking this out on a camping trip, getting a shaken up and bouncy around.. maybe I go with something around 3.5 volumes.

Nope, not a cider at all. Ciders typically have low carbonation, if any.

When I first tasted the young apfelwein, straight out of the fermenter, it reminded me of champagne, so that is how I carbonated it. :)

TL

ahhh ok.. then i'll take the carbonation down a bit then.

think maybe 2 volumes would come close to a cider?

thanks for the help Tex.

EdWort said:
Shaggy,

After a couple more weeks, it should be down close to 1.000. If your juice was cloudy to begin with, it will not clear. If it was clear, it will begin to clear when the yeast are finished with their meal and start to settle down for a long nap. :D

Thanks for the comment Ed!
The original juice used wasn't much cloudy and I set a glass of some I had left next to the sample I took to compare last night.
The apfelwein sample looked pale (lot less golden as the original) and more cloudy than the original.
I'm just guessing that since my house temps are low things will move a bit slower.
I have my carboy wrapped in a moving blanket and that sits in a milk crate elevated off the ground to help some with that lol.

:mug:

Oh my God. I took a sample this evening and after measuring the SG of 1.002 (still has a ways to go), i atsted teh sample. Well, holy TART. Whhoo eeeee...

I'm guessing it's the suspended yeast and byproducts the yeast need to chew on for a while, etc and all will be all fine and dandy in a few weeks. But what a shock. Wasn't expecting my mouth to shrivel up like that. Thank God the high alc content help ease the pain. Very very tart crab apples comes to mind..

wow... i finally made a batch.. its good! Its young, but its good. I'm waiting for it to carb now.. It will be done in May and I cant wait to share it with my buddies!!!!

ok seriously... WOW.. I had one beer and a glass of apfelwein.. holy crap on a cracker!!!! I'm buzzin hard... and it usually takes about 15-20 beers over the course of a night to get me sleepy..(havent puked for over a year, and I drink a ton! I'm 21 I'm trying to break records people not be a saint!! hahaha) No seriously.. I'm glad I made this stuff and I'm glad that I am going to start a 5 gallon batch tomorro!!!!!!!!!!!!!

xcrusader said:
I'm glad I made this stuff and I'm glad that I am going to start a 5 gallon batch tomorro!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ok..Seriously...You have already screwed up. As per the instructions on Page 1 of the thread, you are a full month behind and should have started your third batch by now. I believe that Ed prescribes a 2 batch minimum as penance.:D

This is the goal people..

15GallonsApfelwein11days.jpg

What's the hangover factor with Apfelwein? Certain red wines will give me a headache after only a couple of glasses. I can drink copious amounts of Jim Beam without getting a hangover though. Is Apfelwein somewhere in between?

Richard said:
What's the hangover factor with Apfelwein?

Apelwein on a hot summer day can be very deceiving. It's crisp, clean, & refeshing, all making you want more. Then a little buzz will start. Hey, this is pretty good!! Before you know it pint glasses are going down with such ease right before you pass out. :drunk:

It will sneak up on you, then you need to take 3 aspirin and 2 liters of water before going to bed.

It's best served in small glasses with moderation.

What's the hangover factor with Apfelwein? Certain red wines will give me a headache after only a couple of glasses. I can drink copious amounts of Jim Beam without getting a hangover though. Is Apfelwein somewhere in between?

Sounds like you're problem is mental, or allergenic. Alcohol is alcohol, unless it is high molecular weight alcohol. In any case, scientifically, I am almost 10000% positive that Jim is a worse hangover forming agent than red wine (again unless it is an allergenic problem). Just my .02, I'll bet you will be fine with the Apfelwein.

I am starting a batch this weekend! Hurray :mug:

Ugh, I have until the 30th until my four weeks are up and I can crack my first batch.

I even stocked up on some extra empty wine and liquor bottles to help store this stuff.

hey guys, I don't have any dextrose and there isn't any in this town... unless does anyone know if walmart has any? Is there anything I can use as a substitute? I just want to get this baby going!

EDIT: The local health store says it has fructose. Will this work?

Try Sugar in the Raw (Turbinado sugar). In the mean time, put about four 1 lb. bags of corn sugar on your next order from Austin Home Brew.

Always buy it in 1 lb. bags. You don't get any break buying it in bigger bags and it's pre-measured and ready for your next batch.

Thanks Ed!

I just ordered from midwest and when the package came without the dextrose I was furious at them for forgetting to package it. Then I looked at my bill and realized it was the purchaser's fault (me!)

Back