Man, I love Apfelwein

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
solidghost said:
Hmmm....so PET is not as good as HDPE, LDPE and PP?

for many applications, yes. However, look at the gas permeability parts of the chart, and you'll see why better bottles are made of PET. Also, I think BB users should take note of the scratchability of PET. No harsh scrubbing, please:)

Generally, yes. I have added it late once before. Its just risker. The mfg'r says it needs nutrients as does this website. You could take a wait & see approach too. I'm guessing you'll need it but it might take some time to figure it out for sure. It should go from clear to cloudy rather quickly. Then look for bubbles, millions of tiny bubbles rising. Use a flashlight to look through the fermentor. After 4-5 days and no activity, I would say its stalled. Then I'd get some.

Sorry to keep re-hashing but I forgot to add the yeast nutrient for my Cote de Blanc and it's been four days and my Apfelwein is it's still bubbling away in my spare Mr. Beer (though the layer of bubbles that's on top seems thinner than it was a day or so ago) Is that a sign of stalling?

My nutrients should be arriving tomorrow but I wanted to ask if it's still bubbling should I add the nutrients anyway or only if it stalls completely?

When I add them do I swish the keg around a bit or just pitch it in and try not to disturb it too much?

As far as the risk of infecting the batch while adding the nutrients late, would it help to make a sanitizing solution with the the One Step Sanitizer and wipe everything down before I open the lid and add the nutrients?

Last question: Do I use the entire packet of nutrients or just a portion of it? (There's entire packet of Cote de Blanc in there now)

As far as the risk of infecting the batch while adding the nutrients late, would it help to make a sanitizing solution with the the One Step Sanitizer and wipe everything down before I open the lid and add the nutrients?

I woudnt worry about that.

As for adding nutrient- I dont believe the MR.Beer would require an entire thing of nutrients.

OK...so I started the batch last night around 9pm CST per original instructions...
Woohoo!!!!
I think my SG was 1.066 if I read it correct...sound about right?
Did it matter that I read it 2 hours after my pitch (I forgot to do it before lol)?
Checked this morning before I left for work and no action yet....I'll wait it out as its a bit cool. The thermometer stuck to my carboy was at 63F this morning.
I took pix of the process....if theres interest, I'll post em.

I finally noticed action this morning (3/05) in mine. made and pitched 3/03. Could have been going last night for all I know. about every 9-10 seconds this morning though. Temps are a little low. 64. Usually 66-68 down there but it's been warm so the furnace hasn't been running.

Thwizzit said:
Sorry to keep re-hashing but I forgot to add the yeast nutrient for my Cote de Blanc and it's been four days and my Apfelwein is it's still bubbling away in my spare Mr. Beer (though the layer of bubbles that's on top seems thinner than it was a day or so ago) Is that a sign of stalling?

The first few days/hours are usually a lot more vigorous than the rest of fermentation. Seems to me like everything's fine.

Thwizzit said:
Last question: Do I use the entire packet of nutrients or just a portion of it? (There's entire packet of Cote de Blanc in there now)

I've never used yeast nutrient for beer or apfelwein and I've had fine results. I imagine that late addition of yeast nutrient is like the discussion on dry-hopping. If you can add it late, the consensus (for dry-hopping) seems to be that if you're pretty clean (hands-materials etc.) it's not that big of a risk. (I'd just dump the whole thing in there ;) )

Seems to me like everything's fine.

seems to be that if you're pretty clean (hands-materials etc.) it's not that big of a risk. (I'd just dump the whole thing in there

Thanks, it seems to be fine and doesn't smell bad (smells like apples) So, it doesn't appear that the risk is so great if I do it quickly so I may do it so the yeast performs as well as it can.

I woudnt worry about that.

As for adding nutrient- I dont believe the MR.Beer would require an entire thing of nutrients.

Thanks, as i said above it doesn't seem like it will be that risky so I may do it. I suppose using all the nutrient couldn't hurt since I did use the entire packet of yeast , though some of it may be gone since it's been fermenting for a few days now. Maybe I'll go wil 1/2 to 3/4 of the packet.

Should I just pitch it or swish the keg around a bit?

Not sure on the specific nutrients you bought, but just follow the instructions. And it is also early enough in the fermentation that some gentle stirring would be acceptable, so perhaps prepare according to instructions then carefully stir it into the brew.

Thwizzit said:

My nutrients should be arriving tomorrow but I wanted to ask if it's still bubbling should I add the nutrients anyway or only if it stalls completely?

When I add them do I swish the keg around a bit or just pitch it in and try not to disturb it too much?

Yes - Wipe the keg down w/ a little sanitzer. Add the nutrients and cover quickly, then give the keg a gentle swirl or two.

As for the amount of Nutrient usually 1/2 tsp/gal. The nutrient pack should tell you how much to use. I normally use a yeast nutrient but yeast energizer works well too. (Don't be alarmed if its labeled energizer) Energizer is usually the same thing with added yeast hulls. (Don't ask me why - I couldn't tell what difference it makes in the end results.)

Also in this case unlike yeast.... TOO MUCH YEAST NUTRIENT CAN BE BAD!!. I wouldn't worry about being exact. Just don't be sloppy about how much you add. If you over do it, then it will have an ammonia smell for awhile.

Using a whole Cote de Blanc is OK, its better to overpitch yeast. I'd always use a whole pack 2gal or 5 gal.

It sounds like its going OK so far. I'd add it even if its OK now. Like I said before, the Yeast MFG'r states its required.

Schlenkerla said:
Using a whole Cote de Blanc is OK, its better to overpitch yeast.

Whaa? Is this some wine-only thing? I could be completely incorrect, but I thought it was less of an issue if you underpitched.

Crazytwoknobs said:
Whaa? Is this some wine-only thing? I could be completely incorrect, but I thought it was less of an issue if you underpitched.

You got it bassakwards!!! :D You want an ample supply of yeast. You want the yeast to be in the "Super-Duper Majority" when they get in the must or wort. This way they can out compete wild yeast, spores, molds and etc for the fermentable sugars. This goes along way to improve flavors and keep off-flavors at bay.

Crazytwoknobs said:
Nope. When in Doubt...Beer, wine...Apfelwein...anything. It's ALWAYS better to have too much than too little. If you over pitch...worst case is you'll end up with a big 'ol mess at the bottom of the fermentor. If you under pitch, you will end up with stressed yeast cells, which will make some NASTY FUNKY tastes in your batch.

Right yeah, but overpitching can cause issues too, right?

Like, I put a whole packet of Lalvin in a 1gal batch. That's probably overpitching, right?

Crazytwoknobs said:
Right yeah, but overpitching can cause issues too, right?

Like, I put a whole packet of Lalvin in a 1gal batch. That's probably overpitching, right?

Right - Even two packs is not overpitching by much. (w/ 5gal )

http://www.mrmalty.com/pitching.php

http://www.mrmalty.com/calc/calc.html

At 1.065OG - 17grams of yeast results in 300 billion cells

so
- 5gms packages : 3.4 packs
- 11gms packages: 1.5 packs

To over pitch you'd have to be really wastefull. (If 2 gal about half the yeast listed)

Woohoo, never thought I'd be this happy to smell something so gross! Checked on her this morning and about 3 bubbles a second and a delightful smell of Rhino Fart. Gonna try half a paper towel roll with dryer sheets rubber banded around the top to slip over the air lock. An ole trick we used college to hide the smell of um..."the Hops family Black Sheep"

IrregularPulse said:
Woohoo, never thought I'd be this happy to smell something so gross! Checked on her this morning and about 3 bubbles a second and a delightful smell of Rhino Fart. Gonna try half a paper towel roll with dryer sheets rubber banded around the top to slip over the air lock. An ole trick we used college to hide the smell of um..."the Hops family Black Sheep"

:)

((((Black Sheep of Hops))))

Post how your dryer sheet contraption works.
I'll be out of town next Mon-Thurs so maybe if it starts to Rhino then, I won't even be about to notice lol!

Last night at about 18-24 hours after pitch, I started to see small occasional bubbles and yeast starting to rise up.
This morning it was a bit more active and cloudy...but only occasional bubbles in the airlock w/no hard smell.
I'm thinking by the time I get home late tonight there will be more action...however, my temps are averaging 63/64 on my carboy thermometer this morning so I guess this will be a slower ride. I did wrap it up in some blankets and propped up off the floor.

Your fermentation sounds identical to mine. Temps and all.
I usually have constant 66 down there but since it was warm the last couple days the heater didn't kick on (my carboys and pail are in the Furnace room, hence my name) so it is around 63-64 right now. I'll be sure and let you know how it works with the dry sheet tube. I am anxious to get home tonight and smell it. Hopefully SWMBO doesn't go downstairs to do laundry or something or I'm likely to come home to 5 gallons of Apfelwein poured in the yard with an Ale Pail in the trash! haha

Ha!
I actually have my carboy set up in my computer/office room with the door shut.
I run my thermostat at 65 most of the time and only go a bit higher for a few hours a day really. My basement is way too cold I'd imagine because of my temp setting as well as it being unfinished.
However, I am starting to finish the basement over the next few months, including building a bar and now I'll incorporate a brew area too. So, I think after insulating and dropping the ceiling, plus adding a duct or two more for heat...I should be close to ok. If not, I can buy a little heater or such for the area.

I'm anxious to get home myself and see whats up. I won't get home until late so I'll have a good 12+ hour lapse or so since last glimpse this morning where action picked up from last night.
I guess I'm pretty excited lol.
Taking notes and everything since I'm very new to this hobby.

:mug:

I see that you guys use cinnamon sticks. My local stores don't sell them in stick forms, only powdered cinnamon, should be alright? The ingredients says just cinnamon and sugar.

IrregularPulse said:
Gonna try half a paper towel roll with dryer sheets rubber banded around the top to slip over the air lock. An ole trick we used college to hide the smell of um..."the Hops family Black Sheep"

The trusty SNARF:ban:

So while in a local wine wonder market, I found some authentic German apple wine yesterday. Possmann's Frankfort Apfelwein.

I did a side by side comparison with my homemade EdWort style brew, and boy was I surprised with the similarities, but the differences are what really make it A #1 in my book. They turned out to be very similar in mouth feel and initial taste, color was also similar. My homemade has a yeasty flavor not present in the store bought stuff. (go figure)

The authentic imported stuff was much drier than mine, and a lighter flavoron the finish; almost like a weak lemonade. It came in a 1L (+1.8 oz) bottle and it clocked in at 5.5% abv according to the label.

My homemade version had a few things going for it that I feel made it superior for my tastes. Mine was noticeably sweeter, if only in the nose, and had a much more pronounced apple flavor.

Had I tried authentic apple wine of this caliber prior to making EdWort's, I may not have bothered. Fortunately, EdWort's rules the day.

God bless EdWort, and viva l'apfelwein!

I've had a 6 gallon batch of apfelwein fermenting for 3 weeks or so, and it hit .996 SG after about 9 days. (I'm using Lalvin DV10 which apparently ferments ridiculously fast) I happen to have some bentonite and sparkelloid sitting around and was wondering if I could put that to any use. I haven't seen any bubbles out of my airlock in the last week and a half. Am I better off just waiting another couple of weeks and bottling or dumping some of that in there. I plan on bottle carbing this batch.

Well I didn't have any paper towels rolls and the wife had just changed the TP roll and pitched it. I cut the bottom out of a small pastic dixie cup and used that. This helped a little, but the room still smells.

Interesting comparison/notes, Bro. N.S. Jack Ruby! TFS.

IrregularPulse said:
Well I didn't have any paper towels rolls and the wife had just changed the TP roll and pitched it. I cut the bottom out of a small pastic dixie cup and used that. This helped a little, but the room still smells.

Thanks for the update.
I got home at about 11:30pm last night and theres much more apple smell than previous. Cloudy looking with many "fizzy" bubbles streaming up the sides...airlock bubbles about 1 per sec. Temp on my carboy went up about a degree as well.
How many days did it take from start to your rhino appeared?
Tonight will be 3 days in for me...

solidghost said:
I see that you guys use cinnamon sticks. My local stores don't sell them in stick forms, only powdered cinnamon, should be alright? The ingredients says just cinnamon and sugar.

I'm guessing it's fine, I don't know for sure though. I haven't used any spices yet.

OK...just got home and I think there might be baby rhinos about....hope their parents aren't coming soon lol!
Surely not smelling in here as yummy apple like as it was last night anyway.
So, I took a TP roll, stuffed in one dryer sheet, and slid the roll just over the cap of my 3piece airlock. Fit just right and is not impeding airflow so we'll see how this works. Off to a party in a bit and when I get home, maybe I'll notice a difference.

Oh, just to let you all know, no rhinos were found in my tiny aprtment, using Nottingham yeast. Nary a one!

Wine tastes good, though! Next time I can get some more Simply Apple, I'm doing another batch. No, it never cleared, but I'm not even worrying about that. I priced a 1.75L bottle of Simply Apple, at Fry's Food today, $3.99 a bottle!!

steve

So, are Rhino Farts inevitable? I've had the Apfelwein fermenting for a week now and I only smell apples. Did I do something wrong?

Thwizzit said:
So, are Rhino Farts inevitable? I've had the Apfelwein fermenting for a week now and I only smell apples. Did I do something wrong?

What's Up Thwizzit?

No, I never get Rhino Farts when I use Yeast Nutrients w/ Cotes or Monty.

I read somewhere that its desirable to use Sodium Metabisulphite when using Potassium Sorbate to stablize cider prior to bottling.....????....

What methods and chemicals is everyone else using to stabilize Edworts Apfelwein before bottling...???

-cheers!

Schlenkerla said:
What's Up Thwizzit?

No, I never get Rhino Farts when I use Yeast Nutrients w/ Cotes or Monty.

Ok cool. I just added the nutrient today and the bubbles never seemed to stall so I'm confident that in a month I should be ready to bottle.

Thanks again :)

I finally got to try my 2 1/2 gallon batch of apfelwein last night. It has been in the primary a few days under 5 weeks. I tasted the sample I used to check the final gravity and was pleasantly surprised. It tastes like a dry white wine with a hint of green apple. My wife tried it and thought it was pretty good too. I can't decide if I should keg it or bottle it. I can't wait to try it carbed after a little more aging.

I decided to just keg what I had. I hit it with gas and shook it a few minutes and then took a sample, holy cow this stuff is good. I'm sure it will be much better as it ages and gets carbed properly. I'm going to start a 5 gallon batch soon.

I just ran across this recipe last night, my GF has celiacs, so she can't drink beer.

So I just made her a Sorghum based beer, It's been bottled for about a week, but she couldnt wait to try it, so last night she poped one open... Man it was so cloudy, should have used Irish Moss in it... It was also so tart, nasty. It's gonna have to age a while.

My point is, I'm going to make this for her today. Hopefully she will not try to drink it as I rack it out of the fermenter in a month. She is a huge wine drinker, so dryness is not a problem, but she really likes sweeter ciders, how much lactose are you guys adding, and are you adding in the fermenter or right before kegging?

I have never had rhino farts, even brewing two 5 gallon buckets at a time.

I have used Narbonne (from the Languedoc region; Cathars, Templars, etc.) variety yeast from the beginning (Lalvin 71b-1122) but have otherwise used EdWort's recipe.

In other news, tonight I am sampling the second of two authentic German apfelweins available at my local wonder market. This one is Possmann's Heisser, a Frankfurter Apfelgluhwein. It is a spiced cider variety.

My brew in no way compares to this as mine is neither sweetened or spiced. On it's own however, I am enjoying it quite thoroughly, a refreshing change of pace, and perfect for our blustery winter day.

Probably even better served warm; just what I imagine for a mulled cider.

The cat doesn't seem to like it, probably too sweet; she prefers Scotch.

Holy effing cow. I just tasted my hydrometer sample of the Apfelwein. Original recipe (using Mott's). The hydrometer reading was 1.020 (down from 1.046) after about 3 weeks, maybe 2 and a half weeks. It tasted delicious. It's amazing how clear and yellow it looked compared to how orange the liquid in the fermenter still looked. I'm sold, buying the juice for my second batch tomorrow.

Back