Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Man, I love Apfelwein

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2007, 04:16 AM   #681
Sir Humpsalot
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBrewer
If I back sweeten this I'm going to use apple juice. Not a ton of it just enough to take the dryness off and to add apple flavor.
try carbing with molasses and/or table sugar. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2007, 01:59 PM   #682
EdWort
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 278 Times on 142 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preliator
Ed,

my question is should this be an add and taste......a bit at a time or would you have a particular amount to use per gallon? we werent very accurate as we shook a bit out of the pkg. at a time and sampled.
secondly would i still use the same 3/4 cup of dextrose to carb in the bottle? or should i decrease that slightly.....
I don't sweeten mine. We go throught our gallons just the way they are. SWMBO does want it carbonated though.

I mades some of my hot applewine grog on Sunday and it was great while outside in the cold at a neighborhood Chili Cookoff.

3/4 cup of Dextros should work out just fine for carbing a 5 gallon batch.

Old 01-23-2007, 05:48 PM   #683
ill.literate
Recipes 

Ok, so we finally got around to bottling ours, and naturally we sampled it.

It's dry. I mean, REALLY dry.

I guess what I'm trying to find out from you guys is just how dry yours is? There's very little sweetness to ours (maybe I was expecting too much). That's not to say it tastes bad, because it doesn't. I've not tried it chilled yet (maybe tonight) but it's very clean tasting, along the lines of a bright white wine or even a champagne with a hint of apple to it.

Is that what it's supposed to be like?

My g/f didn't really like it much, and I'm going to experiment with sweetening it, etc. It did, however, get a little better after I'd had a couple three or four sips.

Just looking for some input... our recipe was Ed Wort's, with a slight modification of using 1.5 pounds of dextrose and .5 pounds of brown sugar and we used Wyeast's Champagne yeast, which is what I suspect most of all for making it so dry.

thanks!

Up next:

Old 01-23-2007, 06:07 PM   #684
Schlenkerla

Recipes 

Liked 96 Times on 74 Posts

Default Carbonating

Toot,

Thanks for the reply. It sounds like you need at least 1/8 of a cup of dextrose per gallon. So at least 5/8 for 5 gallons. 3/4 cup should be enough, 1 cup will be super bubbley.

The head retention should be low unless there is dextrinous stuff in the wine. Wheather that comes from pulp or skin I guess users of fresh juice are more likely to have head retention. No champagne I have drank keeps a head, however some ciders do but its nothing compared to beer.

OK thanks a bunch!!

BS Nano-Brewery

|Myeast 50327|Easy Hop Oast|Smoked Homebrew|

Old 01-23-2007, 06:57 PM   #685
MidRex
Recipes 

Anyone else use Lalvin K1-V1116 or any other wine yeast that hasn't had it clear yet? Mine has been in since 12/5/06 and is still not clear.

Old 01-23-2007, 07:11 PM   #686
Schlenkerla

Recipes 

Liked 96 Times on 74 Posts

Default Not Clear...

If you had fresh cider, did you boil? If you did it can do something to the pectins.

I read that fresh cider should never be boiled otherwise it will stay cloudy. I guess you are supposed to use camden tablets instead.

I would try emailing the mfg'r of the yeast. See if they have any suggestions.

BS Nano-Brewery

|Myeast 50327|Easy Hop Oast|Smoked Homebrew|

Old 01-23-2007, 07:14 PM   #687
MidRex
Recipes 

No cider here. I used 5 gallons of the Tree Top juice and 2lbs dextrose.

Old 01-23-2007, 08:21 PM   #688
Markusface
Recipes 

I'm really sorry if this has been asked before, but 60 plus pages of thread is a lot to rifle through I am planning to make a couple of 1 gallon batches using different yeasts - a wine, a champagne and an ale yeast, just to see the difference and see what I prefer, but using ale yeast, won't I just end up with cider? How different will it be to cider?

Secondary: IPA
Bottled: Cheesefood's Caramel Cream Ale Almost gone :( t'were delicious!
Mysteriously Disappeared: Some Random Dark Ale - Cooper's Bavarian Lager - Mexican Cerveza - Black Sheep Export Bitter - Edwort's Apfelwein

Old 01-23-2007, 08:48 PM   #689
Rodanrodanadana

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markusface
I am planning to make a couple of 1 gallon batches using different yeasts - a wine, a champagne and an ale yeast, just to see the difference and see what I prefer, but using ale yeast, won't I just end up with cider? How different will it be to cider?
This sounds interesting. You will be able to tell us at the end. I would like to know which one ends up with the most residual apple flavour.

Good luck.

Primary:
Secondary: Wheat Ale
Bottled: Oatmeal Stout

Old 01-23-2007, 09:30 PM   #690
Torchiest

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ill.literate
Ok, so we finally got around to bottling ours, and naturally we sampled it.

It's dry. I mean, REALLY dry.
Is that what it's supposed to be like?

My g/f didn't really like it much, and I'm going to experiment with sweetening it, etc. It did, however, get a little better after I'd had a couple three or four sips.

Just looking for some input... our recipe was Ed Wort's, with a slight modification of using 1.5 pounds of dextrose and .5 pounds of brown sugar and we used Wyeast's Champagne yeast, which is what I suspect most of all for making it so dry.

thanks!
Yeah, it's gotta be the yeast strain. Did you take SG readings and calculate your ABV? I would guess it's above 10%, which takes out just about all the remaining sugars. I'm planning on making this in the next month or so, and I'm going to follow EdWort's recipe exactly the first time. Then I'll tweak it on subsequent occasions.
#48 Black Helicopter Porter #49 Pikemen Porter
Up Next:
#50 Imperious IPA
#51 Razz Buried

Quick Reply