Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Man, I love Apfelwein

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2007, 10:14 PM   #661
Schlenkerla
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default Thank God

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdWort
Nope. No hops in it.

I think hoppy cider would be gross. My caramel apple is 50% hopped wheat extract and cider and its aweful. The tastes really clash. Think of an apple schnopps and a beer chaser.... however after swallowing it a second time.

Made it for SWMBO. Bad decision!!!! I'm thinking this will be a homer.

BS Nano-Brewery

Primary: SNPA Clone, Apfelwein
2ndary: Empty
Drinking: Dead Ringer IPA, Ma Duece (50 caliber) - Malt Liquor, Cranberry Wheat
Next: Cali-Common, American Amber, Smoked to Helles

|Myeast 50327|Easy Hop Oast|Smoked Homebrew|

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2007, 10:48 PM   #662
EdWort
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 260 Times on 137 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlenkerla
I think hoppy cider would be gross. My caramel apple is 50% hopped wheat extract and cider and its aweful. The tastes really clash. Think of an apple schnopps and a beer chaser.... however after swallowing it a second time. Made it for SWMBO. Bad decision!!!! I'm thinking this will be a homer.
Man, after that stuff, Apfelwein is surely going to be a panty remover. Just ask Biermann!

Old 01-21-2007, 02:23 AM   #663
RichBrewer

Recipes 

Liked 83 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 67

OK. Now I'm in.
I was walking down the isle at Safeway and saw apple juice on sale. I'm thinking I've got 3 empty fermenters so next thing I know there is 5 gallons of must in my fermenter that will be Apfelwein soon!

Only things I did different was to use regular granulated sugar and I pitched 2 packages of Montrachet.
I'm thinking about stabilizing, clarification and back sweetening when it is done fermenting.

Cheers,
Rich

Old 01-21-2007, 02:40 AM   #664
EdWort

Recipes 

Liked 260 Times on 137 Posts

how did the cane sugar dissolve? Did it take long? A pound of corn sugar dissolves in about 10 shake in a half gallon of apple juice. 1 packed of yeast always worked for me.

Old 01-21-2007, 02:53 AM   #665
RichBrewer

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdWort
how did the cane sugar dissolve? Did it take long? A pound of corn sugar dissolves in about 10 shake in a half gallon of apple juice. 1 packed of yeast always worked for me.
I actually had 10 half gallon jugs. I drained about 3 of them half way and split the sugar between them. I shook them up good for about 20 seconds and the sugar was dissolved. I checked in the carboy after all 5 gallons was added and it looked like it all dissolved. I shook the carboy quite a bit as well to oxygenate the must and to be sure the sugars were mixed.
I used 2 packs of yeast because they are cheep.

Cheers,
Rich

Old 01-21-2007, 04:20 AM   #666
Jester
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I made this earlier tonight... couldnt pass it up since there's so many posts on this thread... hopefully it'll be good... also gave me a chance to use all the old priming sugar bags I had sitting around, since I keg... my LHBS didnt have that exact yeast, so I had to go with a different type.. similar yeast, just different brand, I think...

Jester

Old 01-22-2007, 03:04 AM   #667
Schlenkerla

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 62 Posts

Default Chu, Chu, Chu, Chugin' Away....

My batch is on day 14 and its still blowing out CO2 full blast!!!!

I use a "S" Style Air lock. It doesn't have bubbles passing thru like normal. The 2nd half of the lock is completely suspended by back pressure. Bubbles are only coming out at the very top.

Its like a steady stream of CO2. Normal is having an air bubble push through the small part of the lock at the bottom where you can count bubbles per minute. At the bottom its like a constant bubble is there.

Its awesome to watch... Call me crazy, SWMBO hasn't caugh me sniffing the air lock yet.

BS Nano-Brewery

Primary: SNPA Clone, Apfelwein
2ndary: Empty
Drinking: Dead Ringer IPA, Ma Duece (50 caliber) - Malt Liquor, Cranberry Wheat
Next: Cali-Common, American Amber, Smoked to Helles

|Myeast 50327|Easy Hop Oast|Smoked Homebrew|

Old 01-22-2007, 03:06 AM   #668
Orpheus

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlenkerla
My batch is on day 14 and its still blowing out CO2 full blast!!!!

I use a "S" Style Air lock. It doesn't have bubbles passing thru like normal. The 2nd half of the lock is completely suspended by back pressure. Bubbles are only coming out at the very top.

Its like a steady stream of CO2. Normal is having an air bubble push through the small part of the lock at the bottom where you can count bubbles per minute. At the bottom its like a constant bubble is there.

Its awesome to watch... Call me crazy, SWMBO hasn't caugh me sniffing the air lock yet.
I pitched my yeast in mine Friday night and it's just getting going good now. It's neat to see after being so used to beer fermentations. There's not much going on in the carboy itself, but there's definitely gas bubbles rising up and blowing out.

Old 01-22-2007, 03:09 AM   #669
RichBrewer

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orpheus
I pitched my yeast in mine Friday night and it's just getting going good now. It's neat to see after being so used to beer fermentations. There's not much going on in the carboy itself, but there's definitely gas bubbles rising up and blowing out.
Same here. Lot's of CO2 but no foam on the surface at all. Air lock smells like apple so far.

Cheers,
Rich

Old 01-22-2007, 03:12 AM   #670
Sir Humpsalot

Recipes 

Liked 81 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 22

After a week and a half of bottle conditioning, I can say this...

Flavor-wise, the brown sugar is preferable to the honey. The brown sugar has a bit more sweetness that stands out, whereas in the honey-carbed version the honey flavors intermix with the apple flavors and it just comes out, well, a little bit weird, sort of two-dimensional. FWIW, I used wildflower honey... I think it was 1/3 of a cup to 2 gals of apfelwein. And 1/4 cup of brownsugar to 2 gals of apfelwein (and left 1 gallon uncarbed).

The guy above who wanted caramel apple? He would've been much happier using some brown sugar (or maybe molasses?) in place of corn sugar.

As for the quality of carbonation, it's too early to compare the two. But comparing carbed to uncarbed, I must say I prefer the carbonation. I think the carbonation gives it a little bit more airiness which is what most people expect in a drink like this. It's less heavy.. and therefore, should be more quaffable on a hot summer day. I think what I'm saying is that the carbonation contributes to a lighter mouthfeel.

I think I will try an ale-yeast next time. Though I must confess I like the dry-ness as a quality of the drink, I'm wondering if a little more residual sweetness could result in more recognizably-apple flavors.

Per brewman!'s suggestion, I also picked up some yeast nutrient for next time. I want to see whether, as he suggests, that will help keep the sulfur stench at bay. And, who knows? It might even speed up fermentation a bit.

Quick Reply