Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Man, I love Apfelwein

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2010, 10:00 PM   #6371
Hegh
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenn514 View Post
Here's what I'm gonna do: I'm gonna bottle my batch of apfelwein in the next few days...just as soon as a new hydrometer arrives to check the final specific gravity! And I DO plan to bottle-carbonate it. But I'm gonna put it back into the 3-quart #1 PETE bottles the apple juice came in! I've heard horror stories which, I believe, to be apocryphal. The juice bottles are heavier plastic than soda bottles, so they shouldn't explode. The ONLY difference is that the juice bottles have a seam where the two halves of the bottle were heat-joined together. I firmly believe the bottles will, in fact, hold together just fine! However...

I HAVE planned ahead: I purchased a large plastic storage tub with a lid. Once the bottles are filled, and the lids are twisted on good and tight, I'll put them all in the tub and close the lid! If we do get explosions, at least the clean-up will be relatively easy!

I'll keep ya'll posted on what happens!

glenn514
Are you going to do that with one bottle? Or are you risking all of your apfelwein?

Primary: Summer RyePA
Tertiary: Strawberry Blond
On Tap: NB's Oatmeal Stout, Eagle Mills Hard Cider, Hefeweizen, Black Lager, Warsteiner Dunkel Clone

"Bravery is not a function of fire power." ~J.C. Denton

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2010, 10:16 PM   #6372
Johnny_Crunch
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Those tree top bottles are brittle and crack easily in the freezer when the ice expands in them. I wouldn't trust them.

J Crunch

Old 03-30-2010, 11:43 PM   #6373
HalfPint
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Here's what I'm gonna do: I'm gonna bottle my batch of apfelwein in the next few days...just as soon as a new hydrometer arrives to check the final specific gravity! And I DO plan to bottle-carbonate it. But I'm gonna put it back into the 3-quart #1 PETE bottles the apple juice came in! I've heard horror stories which, I believe, to be apocryphal. The juice bottles are heavier plastic than soda bottles, so they shouldn't explode. The ONLY difference is that the juice bottles have a seam where the two halves of the bottle were heat-joined together. I firmly believe the bottles will, in fact, hold together just fine! However...

I HAVE planned ahead: I purchased a large plastic storage tub with a lid. Once the bottles are filled, and the lids are twisted on good and tight, I'll put them all in the tub and close the lid! If we do get explosions, at least the clean-up will be relatively easy!

I'll keep ya'll posted on what happens!

glenn514

I'm sure someone will chime in on me here because I'm not too sure, but I think that it's not necessarily the thickness of the bottle, but rather the design of the bottle. Is the thickness of a wine bottle much different than a beer bottle or a champagne bottle? I don't think by much, but yet they can't handle the pressure. I'd just buy some Dr. Pepper 2 or 3 liters and use those.

Just my .02,
J

Old 03-31-2010, 12:14 PM   #6374
glenn514
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 142 Times on 102 Posts
Likes Given: 36

I sincerely thank you all for your responses to my plan. I have yet, however, seen one single post from someone who has already tried what I am planning. Either no one has tried bottle-carbonation in juice bottles before, or they just don't want to admit that they did!

The apple juice bottles, as I mentioned, are of the very same plastic as soda bottles. The juice bottles are a bit thicker, but do have a heat-sealed seam in them, which soda bottles lack. Some have claimed that the seam is a weak spot, but my contention is that, if soda bottles can deal with the pressure of carbonation, why can't juice bottles?

Once again, I do appreciate the comments. I'll keep y'all posted with the results...after the new hydrometer arrives! And am I risking ALL my apfelwein? Yes, I am...it's only 5 gallons, and cost me under $20.00 to make. I figure it's worth it to answer the question.

glenn514

Old 03-31-2010, 01:38 PM   #6375
Displaced MassHole
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Save yourself the trouble and put a spigot on that big tub you're going to put the juice bottles in. At least then you can just open the tap and fill a glass to drown out the sorrow of a lost batch of apflewein.

Old 03-31-2010, 03:14 PM   #6376
Hegh
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Displaced MassHole View Post
Save yourself the trouble and put a spigot on that big tub you're going to put the juice bottles in. At least then you can just open the tap and fill a glass to drown out the sorrow of a lost batch of apflewein.
On a related but more serious note, perhaps you should sanitize the tub and the outsides of the bottles, so that you can re-bottle in the event of a catastrophe. $20 isn't much for a batch, but 2 months of lost time might be...

On Tap: NB's Oatmeal Stout, Eagle Mills Hard Cider, Hefeweizen, Black Lager, Warsteiner Dunkel Clone

Old 03-31-2010, 03:31 PM   #6377
somecallmetex
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
I sincerely thank you all for your responses to my plan. I have yet, however, seen one single post from someone who has already tried what I am planning. Either no one has tried bottle-carbonation in juice bottles before, or they just don't want to admit that they did!

The apple juice bottles, as I mentioned, are of the very same plastic as soda bottles. The juice bottles are a bit thicker, but do have a heat-sealed seam in them, which soda bottles lack. Some have claimed that the seam is a weak spot, but my contention is that, if soda bottles can deal with the pressure of carbonation, why can't juice bottles?

Once again, I do appreciate the comments. I'll keep y'all posted with the results...after the new hydrometer arrives! And am I risking ALL my apfelwein? Yes, I am...it's only 5 gallons, and cost me under $20.00 to make. I figure it's worth it to answer the question.

glenn514
You probably won't find anyone who has tried because it is risking too much apfelwein. I just want to point out that thicker plastic won't necessarily make it less likely to explode. The less the plastic is able to expand, the more pressure is placed on the inside of the bottle and the seam. These bottles aren't made to withstand the pressure of carbonation, so you are taking a gamble if you do this.

I wouldn't suggest risking too much of your apfelwein until you have tested carbonating this way. Also, if it works, I wouldn't recommend reusing the bottle a second time, as the seam will be weaker the next time (but you will probably have fresh bottles anyway from your new juice). Let us know how it goes.

Primary- On hiatus until full wort setup complete

Secondary - EdWort's Apfelwein (Jun '11), (Feb '12), (Feb '12),

Agin/Drinking-EdWort's Apfelwein EC-1118) (Jan '11), Chocolate Raspberry Port (Fall '10), Blackberry Port (Fall '11)

Old 03-31-2010, 08:03 PM   #6378
glenn514
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 142 Times on 102 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by somecallmetex View Post
I wouldn't suggest risking too much of your apfelwein until you have tested carbonating this way. Also, if it works, I wouldn't recommend reusing the bottle a second time, as the seam will be weaker the next time (but you will probably have fresh bottles anyway from your new juice). Let us know how it goes.
I hear ya about using the bottles a second time, but you are so right that I'll have another set of them, regardless! And I do plan on risking the entire 5 gallons. No, I don't WANT to waste it, but I figure it's worth the price of another batch to prove this cockamamie theory true or false! So hang in there, and wait until my new hydrometer arrives, and then I will bottle.

glenn514

Old 03-31-2010, 08:36 PM   #6379
BLTF
Recipes 

Hi everyone! Quick ? Is it ok to use flip tops for apfelwein? Ive got 2 cases of 1 liter bots. Ive got 2 6gal batches going and want to put one of these in fliptops. I guess what i need to know is can i age in these bottles for an extended period,or does it have to be drank fairly soon?

Old 03-31-2010, 11:40 PM   #6380
Hegh
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLTF View Post
Hi everyone! Quick ? Is it ok to use flip tops for apfelwein? Ive got 2 cases of 1 liter bots. Ive got 2 6gal batches going and want to put one of these in fliptops. I guess what i need to know is can i age in these bottles for an extended period,or does it have to be drank fairly soon?
If they're good for beer, they're good for apfelwein. Aging in them should be fine too.

Quick Reply