Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Man, I love Apfelwein

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2010, 11:28 PM   #6361
DaveAllen
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Just bottling mine today.

Started 11-15-09, Upscaled to six gallons, using 3 lbs. of dark brown sugar. K1V-1116 yeast. Primary for approximately one month, then secondary since.

It's crystal clear, medium-dark amber. Nearly dry, with just a touch of sweetness that compliments the smallest hint of apple-tartness. I bottled it still. I think it would be fine sparkling, and it will go well with any number of dishes. It's exceptionally drinkable.

Thanks, Edwort!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2010, 11:30 PM   #6362
DaveAllen
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthBeer View Post
I've read up to post 550 this afternoon. Seeing that there is over 600 pages to this thread I was wondering, while I continue reading.. Has there has been a concensus on the reduction of sulphur smell? I'm in a an apt complex. So as much as I don't want to deal with the smell for a couple days. I'm sure the neighbors would appreciate it even less.
Any good yeast nutrient per package instructions should eliminate rhino-farts.

Old 03-28-2010, 11:40 PM   #6363
lady_brewer
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I too read about 600 posts of this thread today... on the weekend I bought a new carboy in the interests of having somewhere to keep apelwein while it fermented. Have to pick up the juice and the yeast this week... as well I am in need of a bulk barn trip for the dextrose.

There was a link about the sulfur smell, with all the science (but I don't know where it is). I plan to use some yeast nutrient since I have it lying around anyway, Only my lager gets to make stinky smells, and that is only because it is in a closed room by itself. Everything else must smell nice. The idea is that the yeast nutrient keeps the yeast from getting too stressed, which is what causes the smell (correct me if I am wrong)

Old 03-29-2010, 03:39 AM   #6364
MrPeaches
Recipes 

Well put my 5 gallons into a secondary to age and put some leftovers into my growler.
Gravity was .999 and flavor is a dry with light apple taste and aroma reminds me a bit of a chardonnay.

Planning:
Primary: Edwort's Apfelwein
Secondary: Edwort's Apfelwein, Irish Red
Kegged:
Bottled:

Old 03-30-2010, 12:55 AM   #6365
TVarmy
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I asked this in its own thread but I guess it might be more apt to be seen here:

Quote:
The SG of my apfelwein has been 1.008 for about two weeks. I made it with two pounds light brown sugar, so I know part of the sugar is molasses, and hence unfermentable. Is it more likely that it has a stuck fermentation, or that it is done? It's been five weeks since I started.

I used Pasteur Champagne yeast, but I have some Montrachet yeast packets coming in the mail, so I could repitch it if needed. I used yeast nutrient per the directions on the package (1 tsp per gallon). The flavor of the hydrometer samples is dry and wine-y, with a bit of alcohol warmth. I'm sure the apple flavor comes back a few months later. There was a sulfury component a few weeks ago, but that's gone now.

There is no airlock activity, and I only see a few tiny bubbles climbing up the side of the bottle with my flashlight, much less than what could be seen durring the active fermentation.

I know it's safe to let it sit for months in the carboy, but I'd like to bottle soon, if only to free up the carboy. Should I repitch, wait, or just bottle?

Zorillo Brewery: Jinxing the hops since 2010.
Primary: Edwort's Robust Porter, Hard Lemonade
Secondary: Air
Bottled: Apfelwein, Wheat Stout, Edwort's Haus Pale Ale
Thinking about: more Citrus Hefeweizen, Strawberry Blonde, Apple Graff, Lambics

Old 03-30-2010, 01:08 AM   #6366
DavidHawman
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Got a batch bubbling now. 5 gallons of juice with 2lbs brown sugar and Nottingham ale to see if I can get a little residual sweetness for the GF. Its bubbling quite steadily and there is no krausen at all. Will primary for a month, bottle a few still and then add cinnamon and nutmeg to create a bit of a fall cider flavor.

The GF is already starting to take an interest in this whole home brewing thing.

Old 03-30-2010, 02:06 AM   #6367
Hegh
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVarmy View Post
I asked this in its own thread but I guess it might be more apt to be seen here:
If the gravity isn't moving, it's done. If bottling still, you should give it a really good stir with something like a bottling brush to knock most of the CO2 out of solution. You don't have to, though, but you'll be more likely to lose a cork or two (but the result is pleasantly sparkling, like a riesling).

Primary: Summer RyePA
Tertiary: Strawberry Blond
On Tap: NB's Oatmeal Stout, Eagle Mills Hard Cider, Hefeweizen, Black Lager, Warsteiner Dunkel Clone

"Bravery is not a function of fire power." ~J.C. Denton

Old 03-30-2010, 10:51 AM   #6368
Ace_Club
Legendary Influential Brewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1542 Times on 1465 Posts
Likes Given: 52728

I've got 5 gallons bubbling away right now. Just checked on it and only the slightest hint of sulfur from the airlock. Mainly it's just an apple-y aroma. Can't wait to try this in 2 to 4 months! Should be hitting perfection during summer!

"If guns don't kill people, why do we give people guns when they go to war? Why not just send the people?" - Ozzy Osbourne

Sent from my iPhone 6.

Canon T2i | EF-S 18-55mm | EF 28mm 1.8 | EF 50mm 1.8 | EF-S 55-250mm

3 whipped dog straights, Gillette Ball End Tech, 1959 Gillette Fat Boy

Secondary: Strawberry Melomel

Old 03-30-2010, 12:31 PM   #6369
Lodovico
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 9

So I know it's been discussed before but I only want your opinion if you've actually tried it.

Has anyone added a Brett strain to a batch that was almost finished fermenting out with the Montrachet yeast?

I know that the Brett might not have enough to eat through (even though it eats like a monster) but I might give it a try. I also think it would be hard to get the "funk" in this but I'm really curious about trying it.

Has anyone here actually done this to see what the results are? I was thinking of moving the Apfelwein over to a secondary (It's been in Primary for 2 months) and adding the Brett B. I would still need to make a starter for the Brett, right? Since it's a slow one to get going?

What do you think?

On Draft: Mild
On Draft: IPA
On Draft: Belgian Pale Ale
In Bottle: Brett Porter
In Bottle: Flanders Red
In Bottle: Oud Bruin
Fermentor: Biere De Garde
Fermentor: Belgian Amber Ale

Old 03-30-2010, 08:03 PM   #6370
glenn514
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 144 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Default I'll Be The Guinea Pig!

Here's what I'm gonna do: I'm gonna bottle my batch of apfelwein in the next few days...just as soon as a new hydrometer arrives to check the final specific gravity! And I DO plan to bottle-carbonate it. But I'm gonna put it back into the 3-quart #1 PETE bottles the apple juice came in! I've heard horror stories which, I believe, to be apocryphal. The juice bottles are heavier plastic than soda bottles, so they shouldn't explode. The ONLY difference is that the juice bottles have a seam where the two halves of the bottle were heat-joined together. I firmly believe the bottles will, in fact, hold together just fine! However...

I HAVE planned ahead: I purchased a large plastic storage tub with a lid. Once the bottles are filled, and the lids are twisted on good and tight, I'll put them all in the tub and close the lid! If we do get explosions, at least the clean-up will be relatively easy!

I'll keep ya'll posted on what happens!

glenn514

Quick Reply