Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Man, I love Apfelwein

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2010, 04:06 PM   #6321
Mikethepoolguy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 15 Posts

Thanks for the responses. I have decided to bottle after I get over this cold I have. Rhinofarts good, Rhinovirus bad.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2010, 07:55 PM   #6322
glenn514
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 142 Times on 102 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Welp, I finally made it to the current "end" of this thread! It has taken me about ten days, on and off, but the information put forth is tremendous!

My apfelwein has been chugging away now for two weeks. There is little airlock activity, but there are still numerous tiny bubbles rising to the surface inside the Better Bottle. The "must" seems to be clearing a bit, but I am in no rush. I will not bottle it until it is crystal-clear.

Since I have seen NO posts from folk who HAVE bottle-carbonated apfelwein in #1 PETE NON-soda bottles, I will be the test case! I plan on putting the filled jugs into a large plastic tub, in the event that they do, in fact, explode. We will certainly report on the success or failure of the attempt.

glenn514

Old 03-16-2010, 10:14 PM   #6323
Krrazy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recluse View Post
Er... Priming sugar IS Dextrose. The added Dextrose isn't going to make it sweeter, but it MIGHT give you bottle bombs!! Or did you mean lactose??
Yes I did mistype. Thank you for catching that....lactose was my sweetening sugar.

Old 03-19-2010, 03:15 PM   #6324
motobrewer
I'm no atheist scientist, but...
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 221 Times on 193 Posts
Likes Given: 374

finally getting around to making some.

can i ferment red star at 57F?

you guys just primary for 3+ months?

Old 03-19-2010, 04:35 PM   #6325
Recluse
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Yep. My most recent batch fermented between about 53 and 59 for 2+ months.

Old 03-19-2010, 06:04 PM   #6326
MaliciousMushrm
Recipes 

Ok, I made a 1 gallon test batch a few weeks ago. I used Mott's natural pastuerized apple juice (i think it is closer to cider) it was cloudy when I started (before yeast or sugar addition). I have read that this will clear out after a LONG period of time. Since this is a test batch to see if I will like it, I was curious as to what the negatives of drinking this stuff while cloudy could be. Before you completely jump down my throat, , I was planning on waiting a full four weeks in primary, then bottling. I was gonna carb some and have some still. I will probably sweeten some of each with splenda and a hint of cinnamon. Anyway, anyone had issues with cloudy wine? Will it affect the taste?

Old 03-19-2010, 06:57 PM   #6327
motobrewer
I'm no atheist scientist, but...
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 221 Times on 193 Posts
Likes Given: 374

cool. i'll be making some this weekend.

i'm not a big hard cider fan, but it seems so easy and cheap. and i have a 5-gal free. lol.

Old 03-19-2010, 07:29 PM   #6328
jim_reaper1066
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaliciousMushrm View Post
Ok, I made a 1 gallon test batch a few weeks ago. I used Mott's natural pastuerized apple juice (i think it is closer to cider) it was cloudy when I started (before yeast or sugar addition). I have read that this will clear out after a LONG period of time. Since this is a test batch to see if I will like it, I was curious as to what the negatives of drinking this stuff while cloudy could be. Before you completely jump down my throat, , I was planning on waiting a full four weeks in primary, then bottling. I was gonna carb some and have some still. I will probably sweeten some of each with splenda and a hint of cinnamon. Anyway, anyone had issues with cloudy wine? Will it affect the taste?
I did a 5 gallon batch with natural unpasturized cider from the local market, with EC 1118. After 4 weeks in the primary it cleared beautifully, but the sides and bottom were covered in inches of sediment that was easily disturbed. Since I'm in no hurry I racked to a secondary to let it clear more. As long as fermentation is complete the clarity issue is only aesthetic, as the cloudyness of natural cider is due to apple bits left in suspension.

Old 03-19-2010, 10:57 PM   #6329
ibbones
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I have two batches right now. One I started on January 23rd and the other on February 03rd. I am going to let them both set in the carboy for another month and then I'll bottle. Maybe carb up some bit most will be the "no-bubble" kind.

"BONES"

Gun control is being able to hit your target.

Old 03-21-2010, 06:25 PM   #6330
DrKarma
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Once upon a time when I was a student, I used to make something similar to Ed's Apfelwein. But then I used normal bread yeast. Which also gave that kind of egg fart smell that has been described in the thread.

Decided about a month ago to take a trip on memory lane and make a new batch. I used Safbrew T-58 instead, no egg fart smells in the house (which was good as SWMBO is pregnant and kind of sensitive to smells right now).

Today I decided to keg it and sample it....remember that taste. Tastes even better now when you are not that desperate to drink it to get ready for the night club.

Ended up at 9.7 % ABV so it's pretty lethal.

Quick Reply