Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway - Last Chance to Enter!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Man, I love Apfelwein

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2009, 05:45 AM   #5901
reality_felix
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Hi i'm newbies on making wine. i would like to make a batch of apple wine, but in my country i can not find any place that can buy champagne yeast. so is that possible that i using yeast that use to make glutinous rice wine to replace champagne yeast?

Thank in advance.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2009, 05:50 AM   #5902
noema
Recipes 

Default 2.5 months later, my consensus

My first brew was made shortly after my 15 minute dive into Ed's finest.

That was a whole grain brew from a LHBS and it was baller, we did a great job for our first beer and first whole grain at that.

Back to Apfelwein.

I tried it after 3 weeks expecting it to be bad. It was really really bad. It tasted like watered down apple juice with way too much vodka.

I decided to bottle a few at 3 weeks while previewing the taste, and then I waited until 2 months in and bottled the rest.

I've just had the last of the first batch of bottling, so these have been conditioning in bottle after 3 weeks in the carboy. This last bottle, 7 weeks later, is the best bottle I've had, easily. It's got a fantastic head, the alcohol is not overpowering, it's got a crisp apple taste but fantastic thick mouthfeel, and I've probably had 10 oz and feel very nice.

I've sampled some of the most recently bottled stuff and it doesn't have the mouthfeel, it's very different, far more akin to a still white wine with apple flavor. I'm definitely not as much of a fan. I really like this bottle and the very subtle bubbling/foaming texture as it slashes in my mouth, very cold-beer like.

I'll be making another batch soon, the first being classic Eds and the latter trying champagne yeast, and an earlyish bottling.

Anyone have recommendations for getting that nice mouthfeel I've been talking about using some 'bubbles' yeast?

Love it, btw, it's awesome. I made Ed's wort at a gift exchange by adding cardamom, cinnamon stick, allspice, and brown sugar, was a huge hit, one guy came up and said "this second glass sure does go down faster than the first".

The win.

Old 12-15-2009, 08:15 AM   #5903
chemman14
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 88

I have a batch of apfel wine that has been fermenting for 31 days. I was hoping to bottle it before Thursday because I am going home for Christmas break and would like to give some of the bottles as gifts. The Sg is about 1.000 but co2 bubbles are still coming out of solution. Is this finished? The temperature has been around 70 for the fermentation.

Old 12-15-2009, 04:35 PM   #5904
ERASMO
Recipes 

Default 1/2 Batch

Maybe I will make a 2-1/2 gal batch in my 3-gal carboy to play it safe.

What do you think??

Old 12-15-2009, 05:36 PM   #5905
98EXL

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts

I just want to let everyone know, I have a 6 gallon batch that I have had sitting in the better bottle for 14 months now...today is bottling day! I'm so excited, oh, and I'm filling her back up again as well

Too bad we don't have a sh*t eating grin smiley

I'm back!!!

Old 12-16-2009, 03:59 AM   #5906
RandalG
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98EXL View Post
I just want to let everyone know, I have a 6 gallon batch that I have had sitting in the better bottle for 14 months now...today is bottling day! I'm so excited, oh, and I'm filling her back up again as well

You know if you bottle more often you can make more than one batch a year. But then again it helps with the temptation of drinking it before it's aged.

Old 12-16-2009, 04:40 AM   #5907
98EXL

Recipes 

who says I didn't have any made since then?

I'm back!!!

Old 12-16-2009, 04:48 AM   #5908
98EXL

Recipes 

Oh, totally forgot!

So 14 month Apfelwein....tastes amazing, I could drink it like it is now without carbination

I'm back!!!

Old 12-16-2009, 11:19 AM   #5909
FlashRedGLS18T
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98EXL View Post

Holy cow, 14 months. Good stuff!

Old 12-16-2009, 08:21 PM   #5910
Tennessee
Recipes 

So, I have a batch that has been in the carboy for 3 months on 12/27/09 but it is still not clear, I used unpasteurized, non-treated juice & everything else according to the recipe. Think it is OK to bottle it?

Quick Reply