Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Man, I love Apfelwein

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2009, 04:00 PM   #5871
fuzzyham
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recluse View Post
BTW.. here is a quick math check:

1 lb = 16 oz
1 oz = 28.35 g (use 28 or 30 for calculation, it won't matter)

1lb = 454 g

Recipe calls for 2 lb sugars in 5 gal. (32 oz, 908 g)

1 gallon is 1/5 or 2/10 (0.2) of the recipe.

0.2 * 2 lb = 0.4 lb/gal
0.2 * 32 = 6.4 oz/gal
0.2 * 908 = 182 g/gal
That's what I eventually came up with on paper. My real issue is that without a scale, I had to try to physically divide an 850 gram batch of sugar knowing that 6oz by weight wouldn't equal 6oz dry measure. Not one of my better moments as a grown-up.

Thanks for the recommendation on the scale. I'll make sure Santa gets the hint!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2009, 04:12 PM   #5872
Recluse
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Yeah, I finally broke down and bought a scale when I was starting to make some Gruit ales. Figured I wanted to measure the herbs a little more closely than guesstimation.

[off topic]
We have some cookbooks from Ireland and the UK that have measurements in weight vs. volume units too, and got tired of always looking up conversions from dry weight to volume for all sorts of ingredients. Just this weeken SWMBO made some gingerbread cookies from one of the cookbooks. I implored her to use the scale, but she refused. They came out OK, but the double batch was somewhat less than a SINGLE batch because she interpreted the weights (helpfully translated from g to oz) as volumes, and 4 oz of flour by weight is actually more like 8 oz (1 cup) by volume.
[/off topic]
Started a 4.5 gal batch of Apfelwein yesterday and used my scale to measure out my sugars, since I didn't have specific 1 lb bags of either the Dextrose or the Brown Sugar I used 50:50 with the Dextrose.

A little too cold in the basement, though. 57 deg F and 15 hours after pitching, still no activity. Might have to get some heat tape or something to wake up the Yeasties.

EDIT: Whether it was just TIME or the fact that I moved my carboy closer to the boiler in the basement, I had a nice foam at the top and airlock activity this morning. Go Yeast Go! I was worried that I also erred in shaking up the yeast with some apple juice rather than sprinking it through the funnel as I did in my last batch. I have always rehydrated my yeasts in water according to directions (except for Apfelwein and JAO) and was afraid I had bruised and battered the poor guys with the Shaken not Stirred treatment. I think all is proceeding normally now.

Reason: Update on fermentation

Old 12-08-2009, 03:22 AM   #5873
AlTheGud1sRtaken
Recipes 

i got currious after several successful batches and started playing around with more than yeast. i just did the exact recipe (but using cosco applejuice, and adjusted for 3 gallons) then added about a half shotglass worth of pumpkin spice, and there is a cake on the top of the carboy. should i be concerned that it's contaminated? should i shake it up so the cake gets mixed back in? should i wait another month and see if the situation has changed?

it's fermenting, and it did kick off a little slower than it has in the past but it's rolling steadily now. i'm concerned because i've never had this cake on the top from montrachet yeast before, it looks like floating krausen, but it's thick, thick enough to worry me.

the batch was started on 11/22/09, today is 12/07/09. if the batch is bad i'd really like to get a fresh one in there. this is my main concern.

Old 12-08-2009, 03:44 AM   #5874
Mountainbeers
Recipes 

So I just got into my first batch this weekend for my birthday and let's just say I will have this on tap at all times!

On Deck: Apfelwein
Fermenting: Oatmeal Stout
Conditioning:
Drinking:

Old 12-08-2009, 07:57 AM   #5875
khiddy
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlTheGud1sRtaken View Post
i got currious after several successful batches and started playing around with more than yeast. i just did the exact recipe (but using cosco applejuice, and adjusted for 3 gallons) then added about a half shotglass worth of pumpkin spice, and there is a cake on the top of the carboy. should i be concerned that it's contaminated? should i shake it up so the cake gets mixed back in? should i wait another month and see if the situation has changed?

it's fermenting, and it did kick off a little slower than it has in the past but it's rolling steadily now. i'm concerned because i've never had this cake on the top from montrachet yeast before, it looks like floating krausen, but it's thick, thick enough to worry me.

the batch was started on 11/22/09, today is 12/07/09. if the batch is bad i'd really like to get a fresh one in there. this is my main concern.
It's fine. Many of the individual spices in pumpkin spice are naturally buoyant (floaters), and what you're seeing is them sticking to the krausen ring. I have a holiday ale in my primary that has some pumpkin pie spice in it, and the krausen is deep brown and striated in a way I don't normally see with krausen. It's nothing to worry about.

What you might want to be actually concerned about is the quantity of spice you threw in there. Normally, 1 to 2 tsp is enough for a full 5 gallon batch, and yet you used half of a shotglass, which is ~5 teaspoons' worth, in just 3 gallons? That is going to be one SPICY, totally out of balance cider! You might want to consider getting 2 more gallons of apple juice in there ASAP, lest you have a dumper on your hands.
Bottled: Ye Olde Tyme Holiday Ale (9/26/10); Dick Beer (2/15/12); Candy's Dad's Homebrew (2/27/12)
Apfelweins: Crapfelwein (4/4/12); Apfelweinlager 34/70 (2/26/12)
Kit Wines: Fisher-Price My First Amarone (4/1/12); Rosso Magnifico (4/17/12)
On Deck: Albertus Magnus DIPA

Old 12-08-2009, 12:12 PM   #5876
AlTheGud1sRtaken
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by khiddy View Post
It's fine. Many of the individual spices in pumpkin spice are naturally buoyant (floaters), and what you're seeing is them sticking to the krausen ring. I have a holiday ale in my primary that has some pumpkin pie spice in it, and the krausen is deep brown and striated in a way I don't normally see with krausen. It's nothing to worry about.

What you might want to be actually concerned about is the quantity of spice you threw in there. Normally, 1 to 2 tsp is enough for a full 5 gallon batch, and yet you used half of a shotglass, which is ~5 teaspoons' worth, in just 3 gallons? That is going to be one SPICY, totally out of balance cider! You might want to consider getting 2 more gallons of apple juice in there ASAP, lest you have a dumper on your hands.
that's what i had read too, but this is less spice that i had just used in a pumpkin ale (that started at 7 gallons), which i felt needed at least twice as much spice. i'd consider adding more juice, but the space in my brewing box for 5 and 7 gallon buckets it being used by beer, so this is in a 3 gallon better bottle. hopefully my spice is just not as potent i guess. i'll give you all an update in about a month and a half (nervous face)

Old 12-09-2009, 12:36 AM   #5877
WIP
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Anyone know of a way to give this more of a wine mouthfeel? I would like it to feel more like a wine than water.

Marc Moberg
Assistant Winemaker/Cellar Manager
Inwood Estates Vineyards and Winery
1350 Manufacturing St. #209
Dallas, TX 75207

Old 12-09-2009, 03:03 AM   #5878
AlTheGud1sRtaken
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIP View Post
Anyone know of a way to give this more of a wine mouthfeel? I would like it to feel more like a wine than water.
use better juice. if you can find applejuice that has more flavor in the beginning then it finishes out with more flavor

Old 12-09-2009, 03:34 AM   #5879
philrose
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIP View Post
do you mean less dry or more dextrin-y or something I haven't thought of...please expand...
Planning- Witbier

@philthebrewer

Old 12-09-2009, 03:44 AM   #5880
KeithinSB
Recipes 

let it sit longer.
Its allot better after 7 or 8 months.

you cant polish a turd, but you can roll it in glitter.

Quick Reply