The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Man, I love Apfelwein

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-24-2009, 01:57 PM   #5821
Emerald
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kish53a View Post
*n00b warning*
I tried 4.5gl tree top/2 lbs brown sugar/cote des blancs mix, got it all in a 5 gl bucket and let it sit....Until my 11 mo pulled the airlock out and waved it all over the place. I wound up re sanitizing the lid, stopper and airlock and it seems that everything is rolling along....I am curious about a few things tho...

Since my kid pulled the airlock and I did all the cleaning, does anyone think that I might have contaminated my mix? (and if so, how can I tell)

AND

It seems that my hole drilling skills for my stopper are less than ideal, and I seem to have developed a small leak... I have several more lids that I can wash/sanitize and put a new hole into for the airlock, but I'm hesitant to do so because I don't want to open the bucket back up and risk contamination...but if I leave it there, I'm looking at the same problem cos of the leak.

Any advice?
I too had a bit of trouble with my drilling skills and the hole for the stopper was a bit oval instead of round. I stuck the rubber stopper in(pre-drilled for the airlock) and then I just plugged in my hot glue gun and put a nice dollop of hot glue round the side where the leak was, wet my finger and smoothed it down(watch out, for some reason, hot glue was HOT!)and it worked fine-- I don't think I would have used it if the fermenting wine was gonna touch it, but since it was way above the wine, it worked fine. Hope this helps some.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2009, 03:02 PM   #5822
Niederhofer
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

OK, so I made my first 5 gal batch a week or so ago, and it should be at 5 weeks just in time for Christmas. I also made another batch to age. When aging for extended periods of time, do you leave it in the fermenter, or do you rack to bottles after fermentation and age in the bottle? I've been looking through the thread, but have not seen the answer yet...

Old 11-24-2009, 03:09 PM   #5823
KillerKellers
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niederhofer View Post
OK, so I made my first 5 gal batch a week or so ago, and it should be at 5 weeks just in time for Christmas. I also made another batch to age. When aging for extended periods of time, do you leave it in the fermenter, or do you rack to bottles after fermentation and age in the bottle? I've been looking through the thread, but have not seen the answer yet...
What do you mean by extended? I have a batch still in the fermenter right now that has been in there for 5 months... and since I am busy, it probably won't see bottle/keg for at least another month.

Primary: 10g English Mild, 10g Robust Porter, 10g Skeeter Pee
Keg: Black Cherry Apfelwein, 10g AHS Low Carb Ale, 10g Centennial Blonde, Haus Pale Ale, Ginger Ale

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnevoodoo View Post
I find that a pint of my own semen makes the best starters.

Old 11-24-2009, 03:38 PM   #5824
Niederhofer
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Well, I had a sanke sitting around, so I made a big batch (15 gal) and stuck an airlock/stopper in the top. I was planning to let it sit for 6 months or so, but I wasn't sure if it would be better to bottle before to get it off the yeast.

Old 11-24-2009, 04:12 PM   #5825
khiddy
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I would actually rack it out of the primary (and its yeast cake trub) into a secondary rather than let it sit too much longer than about 2 months. I left my first batch in the primary for 6 full months without racking it off of the trub, and it almost turned to vinegar due to autolysis of the yeast. I backsweetened it with a fresh gallon of apple juice and two cans of apple concentrate, but it's still very, very tart - too tart for my wife to drink.

I'd STRONGLY recommend taking it off of the primary yeast cake if you're looking at long-term aging. Bottle it or put it in a different glass carboy.

Bottled: Ye Olde Tyme Holiday Ale (9/26/10); Dick Beer (2/15/12); Candy's Dad's Homebrew (2/27/12)
Apfelweins: Crapfelwein (4/4/12); Apfelweinlager 34/70 (2/26/12)
Kit Wines: Fisher-Price My First Amarone (4/1/12); Rosso Magnifico (4/17/12)
On Deck: Albertus Magnus DIPA

Old 11-24-2009, 06:07 PM   #5826
rwagner23
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

My first batch has been in a primary for three months today. Think I'll bottle this weekend and start a third batch. Second batch is close behind and should be ready for bottling the next week or so.

Keg Aging:
Bottles:Barleywine, Oatmeal Stout, Irish Red, Clone's Amber Ale

Old 11-24-2009, 10:26 PM   #5827
northernlad
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I put made my first batch the beginning of October and bottled about a month later leaving 3 gallons to batch age. I drank about 16oz last night and was pleased with it, my wife even liked it so I know just about everyone else will too.
But, I curse you Edwort.

Old 11-25-2009, 01:33 AM   #5828
Effington
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

I put a quart of passionfruit juice in mine... I'm curious to see if that will even have any effect on the taste. Sounds like cinnamon can have too much of an effect.

I've got some dried berries; cranberries, cherries and blueberries. I'm thinking about tossing some in there...

Last edited by Effington; 11-25-2009 at 01:35 AM.

Old 11-25-2009, 02:39 AM   #5829
Guinness
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niederhofer View Post
Both will work. From what I've read here, you can bulk age for a couple of months with no issues. Beyond that, my guess would be that it's best to bottle it.

I have a question about bottling. I see early in the thread that Ed Wort bottled it in Grolsch bottles. If I bottle it 'still' in Grolsch or some other glass bottles and let it age for a while (a year if I can!) should I be concerned about purging them at bottling time? With beer you don't have to worry, because the CO2 from bottle conditioning displaces the air/oxygen, but if it's going to be still should I have concerns?

Primary -- empty :(
Secondary -- Apple cider
In Keg -- Wheat Ale
Bottled -- Bennington Wedding Ale
On Deck -- Rogenbier

Old 11-25-2009, 03:52 AM   #5830
northernlad
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinness View Post
Both will work. From what I've read here, you can bulk age for a couple of months with no issues. Beyond that, my guess would be that it's best to bottle it.

I have a question about bottling. I see early in the thread that Ed Wort bottled it in Grolsch bottles. If I bottle it 'still' in Grolsch or some other glass bottles and let it age for a while (a year if I can!) should I be concerned about purging them at bottling time? With beer you don't have to worry, because the CO2 from bottle conditioning displaces the air/oxygen, but if it's going to be still should I have concerns?
I bottled some in bail top water bottles after a month or so of fermenting and there was still enough residual yeast feast that they are mildly carbonated when I pop the top. It quickly dissipates and becomes still.

Quick Reply