Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Man, I love Apfelwein

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2009, 12:41 AM   #5711
brewnome
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

2 days in and my airlock is bubbling up a storm.

Woo! Now to just have patience for.. weeks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2009, 03:25 AM   #5712
ReeseAllen
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Well, I'm joining the apfelwein club tonight. 5 gallons of treetop cider purchased, unfortunately it was about $5/gallon at my grocery store. So my total bill's closer to $35 for 5 gallons, but that works out to around 66 cents per bottle, a damn good deal regardless.

I've decided to use my bottling bucket as the mixing chamber. I'm going to dump in the sugar, then dump all the apple cider on top of it. Then I'll stir with a sanitized stir-stick. I'll then dump my Montrachet yeast into the empty carboy and rack the "wort" on top of it.

And then the game of extreme patience begins.

edit: Despite the simplicity of this process, I still managed to spill about 6 ounces of cider all over the floor.

Last edited by ReeseAllen; 11-07-2009 at 03:46 AM.

Old 11-07-2009, 01:44 PM   #5713
aparoche
Recipes 

I started my first 5 gallon batch of Apfelwein last week on Friday, October 30th. Following EdWort's advice, I just bought a second 6 gallon Better Bottle and will be starting my second 5 gallon batch of Apfelwein tomorrow. I am following EdWort's recipe almost exactly. The only difference is that my cheap Nature's Nectar Apple Juice from ALDI has Absorbic Acid (Vitamin C) in it. Hopefully, my 10 gallons of Apfelwein will turn out tasty in a couple months. I'm looking for something that my wife and her girlfriends will like and that I will enjoy even though I am primarily a beer drinker. They love sweet wines like Moscato so I I guess I may have to sweeten it?

Old 11-07-2009, 02:41 PM   #5714
nikko
Recipes 

Default bakers yeast

hi guys, am i in trouble? i pitched EC1116 wine yeast yesterday but no bubbles and yeast floating i think it's dead also could be because it was about 1-2 years in my fridge. Anyway i panic'd and had no yeast on hand so i put in a little bit of bakers yeast and it took off right away what will my final product taste like im going to back sweetin with 3.5 litres of apple juice and kegging it?

second question totally off topic but let's say you back sweetin with apple juice that contains sorbate would the sorbate in the apple juice you add stop fermentation from restarting and would it be safe to bottle?

thanks guys

Old 11-07-2009, 03:58 PM   #5715
HalfPint
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReeseAllen View Post
Well, I'm joining the apfelwein club tonight. 5 gallons of treetop cider purchased, unfortunately it was about $5/gallon at my grocery store. So my total bill's closer to $35 for 5 gallons, but that works out to around 66 cents per bottle, a damn good deal regardless.

I've decided to use my bottling bucket as the mixing chamber. I'm going to dump in the sugar, then dump all the apple cider on top of it. Then I'll stir with a sanitized stir-stick. I'll then dump my Montrachet yeast into the empty carboy and rack the "wort" on top of it.

And then the game of extreme patience begins.

edit: Despite the simplicity of this process, I still managed to spill about 6 ounces of cider all over the floor.
Yeah, it costs about $5 at my grocery store too. DONT BUY IT FROM THE GROCERY STORE!! Go to walmart or something. Walmart sells TreeTop 100% Apple Cider for like $3.

Old 11-07-2009, 09:57 PM   #5716
KeithinSB
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikko View Post
hi guys, am i in trouble? i pitched EC1116 wine yeast yesterday but no bubbles and yeast floating i think it's dead also could be because it was about 1-2 years in my fridge. Anyway i panic'd and had no yeast on hand so i put in a little bit of bakers yeast and it took off right away what will my final product taste like im going to back sweetin with 3.5 litres of apple juice and kegging it?

thanks guys
It'll be alright.
Notes from batch 3, the fleischmann's yeast batch said:
Tastes a little bready but drinkable.

you cant polish a turd, but you can roll it in glitter.

Old 11-08-2009, 12:11 AM   #5717
Recluse
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Bottled my Apfelwein today! 3 gal batch started on 29-August-2009. Bottled 1/2 gallon still and primed the rest with 3 oz Dextrose boiled in a pint of water.

SG= 1.063 FG=0.998 for ~ 8.5% ABV

The Hydrometer sample tasted really good! If it only gets BETTER from here, I am an Apfelwein convert. Hoping it carbonates up nicely too and I will have my Woodpecker Cider clone with double the alcoholic goodness.

Old 11-08-2009, 01:07 AM   #5718
3 Dog Brew
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Made my first batch of Apfelwein tonight. Same recipe as EdWort's excpet I added the same yeast nutrients I add to mead. Can't wait to try it.
(5 Gallon batch in the fermentation chiller at 63F)

Thanks for the recipe EdWort!
I plan on calling you a MoFo later

3 Dog Brewery - "Sit, Stay. Good Beer!"
www.3dogbrew.com
3 Dog Blog 3DogBrew/Blogspot.com
Follow 3 Dog Brewery on Facebook

I am a Homebrewer on YouTube --- Motorized Mill Station --- Brew Tools III Free Download

Last edited by 3 Dog Brew; 11-08-2009 at 01:09 AM. Reason: added particulars

Old 11-08-2009, 03:16 AM   #5719
Pivot
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I have had my 5 gallon batch going for about 6 weeks now.

Is there any advtange to keeping it in the carboy now, Or will aging it longer in the bottle instead be just as good? I just kinda need my carboy but if the carboy would be better then aging then the bottle Ill just leave it alone. any thoughts?

Primary
Dark Belgian, Hobgoblin Clone

Kegged
Dark Ale

Bottled
Fruit Braggot, EdWort's Apfelwein, Coffee American Stout

Old 11-08-2009, 01:00 PM   #5720
aparoche
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pivot676 View Post
I have had my 5 gallon batch going for about 6 weeks now.

Is there any advtange to keeping it in the carboy now, Or will aging it longer in the bottle instead be just as good? I just kinda need my carboy but if the carboy would be better then aging then the bottle Ill just leave it alone. any thoughts?
I was wondering the same thing...

Quick Reply