Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Man, I love Apfelwein
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2009, 12:41 AM   #5711
brewnome
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 4
Default

2 days in and my airlock is bubbling up a storm.

Woo! Now to just have patience for.. weeks.

__________________
brewnome is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2009, 03:25 AM   #5712
ReeseAllen
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Seattle
Posts: 415
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Well, I'm joining the apfelwein club tonight. 5 gallons of treetop cider purchased, unfortunately it was about $5/gallon at my grocery store. So my total bill's closer to $35 for 5 gallons, but that works out to around 66 cents per bottle, a damn good deal regardless.

I've decided to use my bottling bucket as the mixing chamber. I'm going to dump in the sugar, then dump all the apple cider on top of it. Then I'll stir with a sanitized stir-stick. I'll then dump my Montrachet yeast into the empty carboy and rack the "wort" on top of it.

And then the game of extreme patience begins.

edit: Despite the simplicity of this process, I still managed to spill about 6 ounces of cider all over the floor.

__________________

Last edited by ReeseAllen; 11-07-2009 at 03:46 AM.
ReeseAllen is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2009, 01:44 PM   #5713
aparoche
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Chicago
Posts: 20
Likes Given: 1

Default

I started my first 5 gallon batch of Apfelwein last week on Friday, October 30th. Following EdWort's advice, I just bought a second 6 gallon Better Bottle and will be starting my second 5 gallon batch of Apfelwein tomorrow. I am following EdWort's recipe almost exactly. The only difference is that my cheap Nature's Nectar Apple Juice from ALDI has Absorbic Acid (Vitamin C) in it. Hopefully, my 10 gallons of Apfelwein will turn out tasty in a couple months. I'm looking for something that my wife and her girlfriends will like and that I will enjoy even though I am primarily a beer drinker. They love sweet wines like Moscato so I I guess I may have to sweeten it?

__________________
aparoche is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2009, 02:41 PM   #5714
nikko
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Canada
Posts: 37
Default bakers yeast

hi guys, am i in trouble? i pitched EC1116 wine yeast yesterday but no bubbles and yeast floating i think it's dead also could be because it was about 1-2 years in my fridge. Anyway i panic'd and had no yeast on hand so i put in a little bit of bakers yeast and it took off right away what will my final product taste like im going to back sweetin with 3.5 litres of apple juice and kegging it?

second question totally off topic but let's say you back sweetin with apple juice that contains sorbate would the sorbate in the apple juice you add stop fermentation from restarting and would it be safe to bottle?

thanks guys

__________________
nikko is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2009, 03:58 PM   #5715
HalfPint
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Houston
Posts: 1,823
Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReeseAllen View Post
Well, I'm joining the apfelwein club tonight. 5 gallons of treetop cider purchased, unfortunately it was about $5/gallon at my grocery store. So my total bill's closer to $35 for 5 gallons, but that works out to around 66 cents per bottle, a damn good deal regardless.

I've decided to use my bottling bucket as the mixing chamber. I'm going to dump in the sugar, then dump all the apple cider on top of it. Then I'll stir with a sanitized stir-stick. I'll then dump my Montrachet yeast into the empty carboy and rack the "wort" on top of it.

And then the game of extreme patience begins.

edit: Despite the simplicity of this process, I still managed to spill about 6 ounces of cider all over the floor.
Yeah, it costs about $5 at my grocery store too. DONT BUY IT FROM THE GROCERY STORE!! Go to walmart or something. Walmart sells TreeTop 100% Apple Cider for like $3.
__________________
HalfPint is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2009, 09:57 PM   #5716
KeithinSB
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Goleta
Posts: 26
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikko View Post
hi guys, am i in trouble? i pitched EC1116 wine yeast yesterday but no bubbles and yeast floating i think it's dead also could be because it was about 1-2 years in my fridge. Anyway i panic'd and had no yeast on hand so i put in a little bit of bakers yeast and it took off right away what will my final product taste like im going to back sweetin with 3.5 litres of apple juice and kegging it?

thanks guys
It'll be alright.
Notes from batch 3, the fleischmann's yeast batch said:
Tastes a little bready but drinkable.
__________________

you cant polish a turd, but you can roll it in glitter.

KeithinSB is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2009, 12:11 AM   #5717
Recluse
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: NJ USA
Posts: 293
Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default

Bottled my Apfelwein today! 3 gal batch started on 29-August-2009. Bottled 1/2 gallon still and primed the rest with 3 oz Dextrose boiled in a pint of water.

SG= 1.063 FG=0.998 for ~ 8.5% ABV

The Hydrometer sample tasted really good! If it only gets BETTER from here, I am an Apfelwein convert. Hoping it carbonates up nicely too and I will have my Woodpecker Cider clone with double the alcoholic goodness.

__________________
Recluse is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2009, 01:07 AM   #5718
3 Dog Brew
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
3 Dog Brew's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 281
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

Made my first batch of Apfelwein tonight. Same recipe as EdWort's excpet I added the same yeast nutrients I add to mead. Can't wait to try it.
(5 Gallon batch in the fermentation chiller at 63F)

Thanks for the recipe EdWort!
I plan on calling you a MoFo later

__________________

3 Dog Brewery - "Sit, Stay. Good Beer!"
www.3dogbrew.com
3 Dog Blog 3DogBrew/Blogspot.com
Follow 3 Dog Brewery on Facebook

I am a Homebrewer on YouTube --- Motorized Mill Station --- Brew Tools III Free Download


Last edited by 3 Dog Brew; 11-08-2009 at 01:09 AM. Reason: added particulars
3 Dog Brew is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2009, 03:16 AM   #5719
Pivot
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Fredericton New Brunswick
Posts: 510
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default

I have had my 5 gallon batch going for about 6 weeks now.

Is there any advtange to keeping it in the carboy now, Or will aging it longer in the bottle instead be just as good? I just kinda need my carboy but if the carboy would be better then aging then the bottle Ill just leave it alone. any thoughts?

__________________
On Deck...
Kolsch

Primary
Dark Belgian, Hobgoblin Clone

Kegged
Dark Ale

Bottled
Fruit Braggot, EdWort's Apfelwein, Coffee American Stout
Pivot is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2009, 01:00 PM   #5720
aparoche
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Chicago
Posts: 20
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pivot676 View Post
I have had my 5 gallon batch going for about 6 weeks now.

Is there any advtange to keeping it in the carboy now, Or will aging it longer in the bottle instead be just as good? I just kinda need my carboy but if the carboy would be better then aging then the bottle Ill just leave it alone. any thoughts?
I was wondering the same thing...
__________________
aparoche is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Love The (Edwort's) Apfelwein solidghost Home Brewing Photo Forum 34 03-01-2013 01:56 PM
newbie to forum, love making wine etc. Apfelwein? Liah Cider Forum 11 12-31-2009 06:33 AM
My first EdWorts Apfelwein (Love is in the air) Hoggy General Beer Discussion 15 04-16-2009 03:55 AM
Oh MAN, I love my Apfelwein PeteOz77 Wine Making Forum 4 07-18-2008 10:36 PM
GOD I LOVE Apfelwein FSR402 Wine Making Forum 2 02-22-2008 12:47 PM