Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Man, I love Apfelwein

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2007, 08:22 AM   #561
Kadmium
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

made the whole 5 gallons lol.... soooo yeah. It does say however it deactivates within hours of bottling the juice to leave it preservative free (big preservative free sign on the front) which is why I bought it, but when I inspected closer to see what types of ingredients it used, I noticed it... really pissed me off!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2007, 08:25 AM   #562
Orfy
For the love of beer!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Well you stand a chance then. What temp did you pitch at, what temp is it at now.

Old 01-12-2007, 08:26 AM   #563
Kadmium
Recipes 

sorry for double post guys, but I just found this little bit of info out on the web,

The use of the product as a cold stabilization agent features a number of important advantages over alternative techniques including:

* Activity against a wide range of problematic microorganisms; * status as a "processing aid" not a chemical preservative by the FDA, so that listing on the ingredient statement is not required; * undergoes rapid hydrolysis to naturally present levels of methanol and carbon dioxide; * no affect on final beverage quality (taste, bouquet, or color).

Chemically, the product is dimethyl dicarbonate or dimethyl pyrocarbonate.

hopefully this means its all A O.K. but only time can tell eh? Will let you know how the yeast are reacting tomorow!

EDIT : pitched at around 23 Celcius, its around there still

Old 01-12-2007, 10:16 AM   #564
Schlenkerla

Recipes 

Liked 87 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kadmium
Will let you know how the yeast are reacting tomorow!

EDIT : pitched at around 23 Celcius, its around there still

Mine took almost 3 days before I noticed activity. My advice is to be patient and give it a chance.

BS Nano-Brewery

Primary: SNPA Clone, Apfelwein
2ndary: Empty
Drinking: Dead Ringer IPA, Ma Duece (50 caliber) - Malt Liquor, Cranberry Wheat
Next: Cali-Common, American Amber, Smoked to Helles

|Myeast 50327|Easy Hop Oast|Smoked Homebrew|

Old 01-12-2007, 01:53 PM   #565
seyahmit
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I finally reached the end of the thread. I picked up some juice last night. I am going to try a 1 gallon batch to make sure my wife likes it. I have been wanting to make something for her (she hates beer) and thought I would give this a try. I might do some 1 gallon experiment batches to get it to where she will like it. She hates dry wine, but loves the sweet stuff. So I may experiment with different ways to sweeten before I make a 5 gallon batch that only I will drink.

My first batch will be Ed's recipe scaled down to 1 gallon.

Old 01-12-2007, 02:08 PM   #566
britishbloke
Recipes 

Default So ill take the bait....

I think I tried the smackpack once on an organic cider and it turned out dry but very good.

I bought some dirt cheap cider this time (Preservative free)............

Can someone tell me if I should buy the WYeast cider smack pack?

Or just go with Notingham Dry Yeast?

Primary: Welches Grape Juice
Secondary: Pail Ale (American)
Secondary: Chocolate Oatmeal Stout
Bottled: Ghetto Cider (Roundys)

Old 01-12-2007, 10:06 PM   #567
Kadmium
Recipes 

O.K, well I dont know if this is a healthy sign or not, so I thought I would ask! never seen fermentation through glass before, only had it in a plastic beer brewer! so here I go:

My apfelwein is wierd, I had that dilema of the stuff I found in the apple juice (read up) but I figured that would be fine... now, when I woke up this morning, the juice is not cloudy, infact its the same colour as when I poured all the juice and sugar in yesterday... secondly there is a ring of yeast floating on the top of the juice, looks like a krausen kind of I think? but its just a ring of yeast... there is a little bit of pressure built up in the airlock, and I saw it bubble just once.... wondering if thats just due to evap/temp change? does this mean my yeasts are dead?

SECONDLY! if, and I mean IF my wein works, I plan on bottle carbing it. What I am wondering is, if I let it clear up nicely in the primary, and let all that trub settle at the bottom, if I then bottle it, will the yeast not be all down the bottom, hence no yeast getting in the bottles for carbing it? or is there still microscopic yeast floating around in the clear clear apfelwein goodness, just waiting to get bottled? thanks!

Old 01-12-2007, 10:26 PM   #568
johnsma22

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 26 Posts

When I started mine about 10 days ago I didn't see any activity at all for the first 36 hours. The juice and sugar were as clear as when I mixed them, just like you. After 36 hours was a whole different story! I woke up and it was very cloudy and the activity and bubbles rising to the surface were incredible! One bubble every second or so for about the next 5-6 days. Just give it some more time and you'll be fine.

Get ready for a few days of egg farts coming from the airlock. It's just some sulfide compounds produced by the yeast and will dissipate. At day 10 the bubble rate is down to one every 30 seconds. The batch is starting to clear and I'm looking forward to trying it in a few more weeks.

Once it has completely cleared there will still be plenty of yeast left in suspension to provide for priming and bottle carbonation.

John

Old 01-12-2007, 10:28 PM   #569
Kadmium
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsma22
When I stated mine about 10 days ago I didn't see any activity at all for the first 36 hours. The juice and sugar were as clear as when I mixed them, just like you. After 36 hours was a whole different story! I woke up and it was very cloudy and the activity and bubbles rising to the surface were incredible! One bubble every second or so for about the next 5-6 days. Just give it some more time and you'll be fine.

Get ready for a few days of egg farts coming from the airlock. It's just some sulfide compounds produced by the yeast and will dissipate. At day 10 the bubble rate is down to one every 30 seconds. The batch is starting to clear and I'm looking forward to trying it in a few more weeks.

John

Thank god, I planned on giving it another 3 days to show me what its got before re-starting the whole process lol... lets just pray this works!

Old 01-12-2007, 10:38 PM   #570
ill.literate
Recipes 

Bottling ours this weekend... man I can't wait to try it!

Up next:

Quick Reply