The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Man, I love Apfelwein

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2009, 02:37 AM   #5461
wcarter1227
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts

[QUOTE=Followed exactly (or as close as possible). OG was at 1.070 If FG ends up at .998, that should put it at 9.45% ABV.[/QUOTE]

if you didnt get the juice and the corn sugar mixed well enough the concentrated juice with the sugar will have a higher og, or there is the possibility that the juice you bought had a higher sugar content ulitmatley giving it a higher starting og. either way it should be tasty.

the most important thing with apfelwein is that it gets so much better over time. the yeast bite and the alcohol heat goes away and it gets smoother. but at 9.45% ABV you need to be careful how much you drink in one sitting or you will be calling EdWort a Motherfu**er in the morning.

primary:15 minute Cascade Pale Ale
Primary 2: Cream of 3 crops
Primary 3: Sam Adams Holiday Porter Clone
bottled:BM's Blue Balls Belgian Wit
15 Minute Cascade Pale Ale
DryHopped Cream of 3 Crops
http://hopville.com/brewer/wcarter1227

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2009, 01:35 PM   #5462
cantjo
Recipes 

I am new to brewing anything. I started a gallon batch using ED's recipe two weeks ago. I do not have any testing equipment. My airlock has no action and it looks like the yeast has all settled to the bottom of the container. I'm doing this batch in a gallon plastic apple juice container. It is a non clear container and thus I can not see if the Apfelwein is clear. Am I OK to leave it in the container for 2 more weeks before bottling?

Old 09-27-2009, 06:11 PM   #5463
etisdale
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantjo View Post
I am new to brewing anything. I started a gallon batch using ED's recipe two weeks ago. I do not have any testing equipment. My airlock has no action and it looks like the yeast has all settled to the bottom of the container. I'm doing this batch in a gallon plastic apple juice container. It is a non clear container and thus I can not see if the Apfelwein is clear. Am I OK to leave it in the container for 2 more weeks before bottling?
If you happen to have a hydrometer, take a reading to see where your wine is at. Likely, hydrometer or not, you will need to let it sit for a bit to completely clear.

"There are reports of Apfelwein being left in the primary for 12 weeks with no problems."

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/wiki/index.php/Apfelwein

Old 09-27-2009, 06:27 PM   #5464
etisdale
Recipes 

Just got a batch of Apfelwein going myself.

Followed the original recipe except I added crushed Campden tablets (5) in with the dextrose and let the resultant must sit for about 24 hours before pitching rehydrated Montrachet.

I rehydrated the yeast with Go Ferm, and I have made two 1/2 tsp Fermaid K additions--one the morning after pitching and one three days after start of fermentation.

http://i38.tinypic.com/opa691.jpg

http://i34.tinypic.com/mc41ft.jpg

Also got a 1-gallon test batch of "mangowein" going using the same modified procedure. The mango juice was Langer's Mango Nectar containing mango puree. Looks like the puree is starting to settle on the bottom (1/4 to 1/3) of the fermenter with the drop in gravity.

Old 09-27-2009, 06:34 PM   #5465
schweaty
Doe Re Mi Beer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Just threw together my first batch of Apfelwein. I've been wanting to try it for months not but never really got around to it. Thanks Ed!

Old 09-27-2009, 07:45 PM   #5466
cantjo
Recipes 

Thanks. I will let it go for at least 2 more weeks. I did start another gallon batch this weekend in a glass jug. It's bubbling away just fine.

Old 09-28-2009, 01:22 AM   #5467
justbrewit
Zythos Conisseur
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

got mine started last night, just poured it right on top of the yeast cake i had from my mead

2.5 gal cantalope mead
5.5 gal coconut milk mead

Old 09-28-2009, 03:15 AM   #5468
EMPyre
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I'm going to start one of these tomorrow evening, my LBHS is out of stock of the yeast Ed suggests. I picked up a packed of Cotes de Blancs, anybody see any issue pitching this instead? TIA.

Old 09-28-2009, 05:08 AM   #5469
arrowgin
Recipes 

Just started mine yesterday

used a Curvee yeast, and so far i'm having issues with heavy Krausen production. Had to clean airlock out twice already

probably should have went Montrachet, but i was too lazy to go back to the LHBS

Old 09-28-2009, 01:35 PM   #5470
jcobbs
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

So far I've made apfelwein (or cider, whatever) with Montrachet, Champagne, Premier Cuvee, Munton's ale yeast, and Cooper's ale yeast. All have been different, but all good to my tastes. Eventually I'm going to get around to trying a gallon with Fleischmann's bread yeast, just for giggles. Yeah, I know it's been done and written about extensively on here, but I've gotta taste it for myself. It's not like it's gonna cost an arm and leg if I don't like it.

Quick Reply