Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Man, I love Apfelwein

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-23-2009, 11:50 PM   #5441
ODP
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

So I made my second batch this morning....first batch was made with Mott's, and this time with Tree Top.

The first go around, I had no problem w/ foaming...took me just under 15 (w/out sanitation) to make the batch. Great!

This time, there was foam for days! I checked the bottles and got the right juice...used the same amount of sugar- but when it came time to add the last 3 gallons and the yeast, it took FOREVER for the foam to die down!

When I mean to say it took forever, I watched TWO episodes of Sunny in Philadelphia and the foam hadn't budged. I had to go to sleep, so I finished any way. I had to just pull the funnel out, pour slowly, and wipe away the foam that was spilling out of the carboy! Now there's a little foam left after 8 hours...what went wrong? Did I shake too much?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-24-2009, 02:56 AM   #5442
wcarter1227
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODP View Post
Now there's a little foam left after 8 hours...what went wrong? Did I shake too much?
it will be fine, if anything the foam shows you did a good job aerating the juice so the yeasties should have enough oxegyn to go buck wild.

primary:15 minute Cascade Pale Ale
Primary 2: Cream of 3 crops
Primary 3: Sam Adams Holiday Porter Clone
bottled:BM's Blue Balls Belgian Wit
15 Minute Cascade Pale Ale
DryHopped Cream of 3 Crops
http://hopville.com/brewer/wcarter1227

Old 09-24-2009, 04:04 AM   #5443
jhonda00
Recipes 

Help, I've got a question that I'm sure has already been answered somewhere, but I'm too lazy to look!

I know that yeast ferment until there are no more fermentable sugars, but does it take wine yeast longer than ale yeast or about the same time. I'm a wine newb and have only delt with Ale strains. I pitched my Lalvin 1116 (they were out of montrachet) last saturday following Ed Worts recipe to the (T) and it's still fermenting, but seems to be dying down. Seems to be about the same time frame of an ale yeast. Is this typical or should I throw another packet of yeast in there?

I think, therfore I drink.

Old 09-24-2009, 05:26 AM   #5444
ODP
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcarter1227 View Post
it will be fine, if anything the foam shows you did a good job aerating the juice so the yeasties should have enough oxegyn to go buck wild.

So is it possible I didn't shake enough on the first batch since I didn't get this reaction? Would the brand of juice make this big of a difference?

Old 09-24-2009, 11:49 AM   #5445
Recluse
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhonda00 View Post
Help, I've got a question that I'm sure has already been answered somewhere, but I'm too lazy to look!

I know that yeast ferment until there are no more fermentable sugars, but does it take wine yeast longer than ale yeast or about the same time. I'm a wine newb and have only delt with Ale strains. I pitched my Lalvin 1116 (they were out of montrachet) last saturday following Ed Worts recipe to the (T) and it's still fermenting, but seems to be dying down. Seems to be about the same time frame of an ale yeast. Is this typical or should I throw another packet of yeast in there?
You should be fine. Wine yeast or ale yeast, your starting gravity is closer to an ale than a wine, so the time frame will be about the same. Wine yeasts aren't necessarily 'faster' they just generally have greater alcohol tolerances so they can ferment higher OG musts (or worts..or apple juices ) completely where ale yeasts will not. I don't think you need to pitch any more yeast, but the best way to tell is to take a sample gravity and see how far the fermentation has gone.

Old 09-24-2009, 12:30 PM   #5446
masonsjax
Professional Amateur
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 290 Times on 212 Posts
Likes Given: 285

If you're looking at your airlock to determine that its done fementing, it will get confusing. I assembled my last batch at least 6 weeks ago and I saw bubles when I glanced at it the other day. With apfelwein, you need to just assemble it and forget its there for about 6 months.

I aim to misbehave.

Old 09-24-2009, 12:35 PM   #5447
masonsjax
Professional Amateur

Recipes 

Liked 290 Times on 212 Posts
Likes Given: 285

The amount of foam has varied with each batch I've done. I blame the brand of juice because that's the only variable that was different, and I shook the hell out of them all. I also have done the funnel slow pour wipe foam trick, and had an ant invasion because of it. Ants love apple juice.

I aim to misbehave.

Old 09-24-2009, 01:22 PM   #5448
ODP
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Yeah, I've got to go back and double check I wiped it all up! At that point, I had just gotten off the night shift and just wanted to go to sleep lol

I like my women like I like my beer- BIG and DARK!

Old 09-24-2009, 10:20 PM   #5449
quixand
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Just got done making my Apfelwein, per the instructions. Made 6 Gallons, using 2.5 pounds of dextrose. Pitched the Montrechet, and it's sitting quietly in the basement now.

Do I need to worry about light with this brew?
Our days are kinda weird here lately, some days it's 78, and 50 at night, or 65 during the day and 40 ish at night.

Old 09-24-2009, 10:59 PM   #5450
justbrewit
Zythos Conisseur

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

so i'm starting to read this hella long post cause i'm planning on making this, but i just wanted to ask real quick about the yeast i want to use. right now i have a cherry plum mead fermenting and i'm going to rack it off into my secondary, i want to use the yeast cake from this for my wine. its the red star(i know i'm gonna butcher this but here goes) pasteur champagne(that looks right) yeast. i know that it will dry the wine out alot, i'm thinking about adding 5 cans of concentrate along with the 5 gallons of juice and 2 lbs of brown sugar. will i still get a little bit of sweetness? or am i going to have to back sweeten? i'm trying to avoid back sweetening, i'd rather just put enough fermentables in there to make sure its go some sweet left to it. the only wines i drink are sweet wines, port, eiswine, moscato, chaucers traditional mead to name a few. i really can not drink dry wine. i once bought a bottle of merlot and had one sip, it sat in the fridge for the next year until i threw it away.

is the 5 cans going to be enough extra to make sure this is sweet when it finishes or should i add a few more cans? i'm not worried about the alcohol content, i know its going to be really high, i'm just worried about it being sweet.

P.S. i'm in the middle of reading this whole thread, i'm on post number 580 some thing(page 15 of 137 pages) i plan on reading the whole thing, but i wanted to ask this before i made it this weekend

thanks for any help you can give me

2.5 gal cantalope mead
5.5 gal coconut milk mead

Quick Reply