Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Man, I love Apfelwein

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2009, 03:48 AM   #5401
BrewToppers
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Apfelwein = funky smell!

Started my Apfelwein on Thursday night. Added the Montrachet yeast to 5 gallons of Hy-Top 100% Apple Juice and 2 lbs. dextrose.

I was beginning to see tiny bubbles later the next morning and just returned tonight (Monday night from 3 days vacation).

I walked into the office which hasn't had good ventilation and the smell was crazy weird, but good, just extremely strong. Like peed diapers and apples.

Should I move this into the garage so my wife doesn't kick me out??

Would love to know if you guys also experience the funky smell of apple juice + montrachet fermentation.

Thanks,
Ben

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2009, 04:04 AM   #5402
marubozo
I can has homebrew?
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5371 Times on 5229 Posts
Likes Given: 222

Yes, funky smell is normal. It's often referred to as "rhino farts." Whether or not you move it to please your wife, that's up to you But it will subside after a few days or a week.

Old 09-08-2009, 04:42 PM   #5403
epimortum
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

also I've found that the rhino farts aren't as rhinoish if the ambient temp is a little lower say 65-68 steady

Im Himmel gibt’s kein Bier, Drum trinken wir es hier.
Add yourself to the Home Brewers Map Here is the associated HBT Forum

Old 09-09-2009, 05:52 PM   #5404
BrewToppers
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Rhino farts are decreasing!

Well things are finally starting to smell better. You're right about the temperature, I've cooled the house down a bit just by leaving the windows open now and then and things are a steady 68 degrees — although it hasn't slowed the fermentation action.

No kreuzen as expected but very bubbly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by epimortum View Post
also I've found that the rhino farts aren't as rhinoish if the ambient temp is a little lower say 65-68 steady

Old 09-09-2009, 06:33 PM   #5405
Recluse
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Default Apfelwein work in progress

Well my Apfelwein has been going for about 11 days now. I think the majority of the fermentation was done in 4-5 days though there is still a little bubbling on the top, but no airlock activity. SG at 9 days was 0.999, but I guess some folks have had it go down to 0.992 by the end. Tasted OK.. a little sour, a little thin, but quite apple-y and I could see how chilled and carbed it might already be drinkable and similar to a Woodpecker cider...so I have high hopes for the finished product. Temp in the basement was around 73-74 for the first week or so but just dropped down to 68-69.

Reason: typos

Old 09-10-2009, 02:54 PM   #5406
Emerald
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Default Yet another question!

Yup- one more question! I did read thru the WHOLE thread! I have a one gallon batch of apfelwein going and am getting ready to fill my 5 gallon carboy with the next batch. I just bought apple juice concentrate(frozen) on sale and was wondering if you have to boil the water before mixing the AJ concentrate in? I have well water which is quite hard but great tasting, but with all the sanitizing that has to be done with the equipment, I just want to make sure that I don't screw it up by adding well water that might not be as sterile as the bottled juice that has been pasteurized. I did use bottled juice for the one gallon batch and it is still perking along nicely.
Thanks Edwort for the great and easy recipe to get my feet wet with!

Old 09-10-2009, 03:04 PM   #5407
Recluse
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

I have used my well water right from the tap for Meads without any sanitation issues, and generally do not boil my Mead musts. I've also used some to bring up an Ale to volume to make up for evaporation losses during boil. As I did it, I realized that I probably should have boiled it first but I guess I got lucky.

I would say boil for peace of mind, or at least wipe your faucet well with sanitizer before filling the jug. Your water is probably fine, but the faucet may be a different story. I guess you could go one step further and take the faucet aerator apart and boil the screen and other parts that might incubate bacteria over time. I actually didn't do any of this..and worried about it. Luckily Meads are easier due to the natural antibacterial nature of Honey as well as the relatively high resulting alcohol content, and my Gruit Ale seems to have turned out ok as well (though it also had a bunch of antibacterial herbs in it).

Reason: Beer to ale

Old 09-10-2009, 03:11 PM   #5408
Emerald
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Default Thanks

Thanks for the quick reply! I have a huge stainless stock pot that will hold the water,and to bring it to a boil so I can get that going after I get the smoker set up(smoking some Canadian bacon today too)- so many things to do and so little time in a day!

Old 09-10-2009, 06:09 PM   #5409
bigandy73
Recipes 

Started my first batch 7 days ago. I used 4.5 gallons of Mott's with 1 lb of brown sugar. I used a dry wine yeast called Premier Cuvee and also added 3 cinnamon sticks and a small amount of whole cloves. OG 1.056.

It bubbled pretty constantly for about 4 days, and now has subsided to a bubble about every half a minute or so. Smelled a little sufurous for the first 3 days, but the smell cleared after that.

I am going for a 5.5% - 6.5% ABV, easy drinking brew that is a little sweet. I think I'm going to carbonate it, maybe with apple juice concentrate or a little honey.

Drinking - LHB Dry Cider
Coming Up - Stout

Old 09-10-2009, 07:02 PM   #5410
Recluse
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Default Cool it down!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerald View Post
Thanks for the quick reply! I have a huge stainless stock pot that will hold the water,and to bring it to a boil so I can get that going after I get the smoker set up(smoking some Canadian bacon today too)- so many things to do and so little time in a day!
Just remember to let it cool to room temp before reconstituting the juice. I don't know if it is a problem with apple juice concentrate, but heating or boiling fruit juice in general tends to set pectin and result in persistent haze. You could add some pectic enzyme to overcome this. I've done this for a Cyser where fresh unfiltered apple juice/cider was used, (though I didn't heat it) and it cleared perfectly. It seems that the Apfelwein and Graff recipes seem to clear just fine without the Pectinase, so maybe it isn't a problem without excess heating.

Quick Reply