Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Man, I love Apfelwein

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2009, 10:10 PM   #5391
Hegh
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie3 View Post
I would think that if it became as carbonated as champagne it would be an issue with exploding bottles and possibly caps blowing off.

How much priming sugar are you adding when bottling??
It's not that it becomes super-carbonated, but rather that the carbonation is much more up-front because apfelwein doesn't have the body that beer does, when using the same amount of priming sugar.

Primary: Summer RyePA
Tertiary: Strawberry Blond
On Tap: NB's Oatmeal Stout, Eagle Mills Hard Cider, Hefeweizen, Black Lager, Warsteiner Dunkel Clone

"Bravery is not a function of fire power." ~J.C. Denton

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2009, 10:15 PM   #5392
Ernie3
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hegh View Post
It's not that it becomes super-carbonated, but rather that the carbonation is much more up-front because apfelwein doesn't have the body that beer does, when using the same amount of priming sugar.

I see what you mean now.........

Old 09-03-2009, 11:53 PM   #5393
wcarter1227
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hegh View Post
i used 1 liter swing top bottles and coopers priming drops. i bottled mine after 1 month in the carboy. the package said to use 1 drop for a 12 oz and 2 drops for a 22 oz. since 1 liter is about 33 oz i should have used 3 drops but i opted to use 4 drops. so thats why i say mine is supercarbed.

i also didnt degas when i bottled it so there was some leftover co2 when bottling.

primary:15 minute Cascade Pale Ale
Primary 2: Cream of 3 crops
Primary 3: Sam Adams Holiday Porter Clone
bottled:BM's Blue Balls Belgian Wit
15 Minute Cascade Pale Ale
DryHopped Cream of 3 Crops
http://hopville.com/brewer/wcarter1227

Old 09-04-2009, 02:17 AM   #5394
jcobbs
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I started a one-gallon batch about two weeks ago using Cooper's ale yeast, just the ordinary dry stuff in the gold pack. It's dropped almost clear and has just about stopped bubbling, so today I "snuck" a taste. Very nice, a little sweet, still some apple flavor, and no real alcohol hotness. I was surprised and impressed, as I've not had any till now to taste that good so young. I think I'm going to give this a couple more days to clear and then bottle it up, keep an eye on it, and if it carbs up nicely, cold crash it & enjoy. (I use 12 oz PET bottles, so not worried about flying glass & I can tell by the firmness if they're carbing). Everything else I have going is either going to take a while to be ready, or it's reserved for Christmas gifts. This gallon is just for the brewmeister!

Old 09-04-2009, 04:10 AM   #5395
Reno_eNVy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 198 Times on 167 Posts
Likes Given: 68

Opened the first one today! *GLEE*

We decided not to touch it for 14 days after bottling... I love it when I get the chance to use the word "fortnight."

So after a fortnight of aging it is already fracking delicious! Plenty of apple-flavor and it's nice and dry. And it's only going to get better, you say? Damn, we're going to need to make more soon!

Kegged: Cascadian Dark Ale

Bottled: English Barleywine (brewed 9/26/09 -- bottled 5/5/10)

LET'S GO LA!
LA CAMPEONES!
PLAY FOR GLORY, THE GLORY LA!

Old 09-06-2009, 12:10 AM   #5396
Recluse
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quick question. Some folks have used Ale Yeast to leave residual sweetness, and I have seen that the Danstar Windsor yeast is supposed to leave a fairly high gravity. Anybody try Windsor yeast to create a sweeter Apfelwein?

My apfelwein is bubbling away with Montrachet, but there is always the plan for the future.

I did a search of the thread but couldn't come up with any mention of 'WINDSOR'.

I'm probably going to ask this question in the GRAFF thread as well for future reference.

Old 09-06-2009, 12:24 AM   #5397
CATFISHER74
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I have been looking and have not come across it yet how much sugar for 1 gallon?

I wish it were winter so we could freeze it into ice blocks and skate on it and melt it in the spring time and drink it!

Old 09-06-2009, 01:38 AM   #5398
jcobbs
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

The original recipe calls for 2lbs of corn sugar in a 5 gallon batch, so that's about 6.4 oz (by weight) for a gallon. I've made it different ways, and often just use table sugar, even though some folks say they end up with off flavors using table sugar. Personally I've never had a problem. I typically put about 1-1/2 cups table sugar into a gallon and that seems to work out OK for me. Haven't weighed it out but that's probably a higher sugar ratio than EdWort's recipe. But like I say, it's working for me, YMMV.

What I did try, and do NOT recommend, is backsweetening with stevia. Ruined a perfectly good batch of apfelwein. The initial swallow is nice, but the aftertaste is awful, and I have yet to find anything to help it. Fortunately I've about drunk that gallon just trying various things to fix it. I've used stevia as a food sweetener and it's OK, but don't let it anywhere near your apfelwein!

Old 09-06-2009, 06:30 PM   #5399
RandalG
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I've been thinking about something. I used Kirklands from Costco on my first two batches with the 2 lb. priming sugar as recommended by Ed.My OG on both batches was 1.062. I may be wrong but I think some people are getting a higher OG making the abv higher. Do you guys think there may be different amounts of sugar in the different brands of juice and that may have something to do with the different OG's. It may be interesting to do a little experiment comparing brands to OG using the same 2 lbs. of sugar just to see. Just a thought.

Old 09-06-2009, 07:09 PM   #5400
Recluse
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Definitely. If you look at the Nutrition Information sidebar on the juice it will show the Sugar content per 8 oz (or 240 mL). Generally seems to be about 28 g (1 oz) making a gallon of juice equivalent to 1 lb sugar/gallon, or about 46 gravity points.

One juice I used (in a batch of GRAFF) said 24 g/250 mL, but it didn't taste any less sweet than the other brands.

Best thing to do would be to just dump some juice in a tube and measure it with a hydrometer.

BTW, my 3 gal batch of Apfelwein with 0.6 lb Dextrose + 0.6 lb Brown Sugar + 3 gal of 28 g sugar per 8 oz Apple Juice was pretty much 1.062-1.063 as well.

Quick Reply