New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Man, I love Apfelwein

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2009, 03:15 PM   #5361
Recluse
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Heh I do seem to get that impression from this thread that more is always better

I just don't have that many bottles around and SWMBO is already grumbling about the Takeover of the Laundry Room as BrewHaus.

Also I am TORN between the paeans to Apfelwein here and the similar sentiment about Graff over THERE, so I thought I would make a small(er) batch of each and enjoy the taste testing

My usual 1 gallon batch size did seem TOO small, and I thought it was time I used those 5 gallon carboys that have been collecting dust for so long. I've gotten ONE almost clean enough..the other might need some more attention.

Thanks Gussymo, looks like I should be OK even if I kick myself later

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2009, 04:33 PM   #5362
Recluse
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawland View Post
Well, it was time to join the party. I made 2 one gallon batches last night. I wanted to do a side by side between Montrecht and Cotes des Blancs. I kept the rest of the recipe the same as Ed's origianal with the addition of some yeast nutrients (scaled down of course). (
What/how much/what schedule Yeast nutrient did you use? I was thinking of adding some FERMAX to see if extra nutrition cuts down on the sulfur production. Usually staggered additions are recommended for wines/meads, but with lower OG's in Beers and Ciders, it probably might as well go all in at the start.

From reading the thread, I think Rhino Farts may be an important rite of passage in the Apfelwein ritual, so maybe no nutrient .

Speaking of messing around with the recipe, I realized I didn't have enough Dextrose either, but it seems that people have had good success with Brown Sugar, so I will probably do half and half.

EDIT 29-Aug-2009

Joined the Apfelwein brewing club.

2 Gal America's Choice Apple Cider
1 Gal America's Choice Natural Apple Juice
(Hope this isn't TOO Cheap to make decent Apfelwein. After I bought it, Mott's went on sale for $0.99/half gallon. Might have to dump in some better juice along the way.)
0.6 lb Dextrose
0.6 lb Light Brown Sugar
2 tsp FERMAX Yeast Nutrient
1 pkg Red Star Montrachet

OG = 1.063

Last edited by Recluse; 08-30-2009 at 12:13 AM. Reason: Started a batch.

Old 08-30-2009, 03:00 PM   #5363
Ernie3
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Do you think I could let a batch of this stuff ferment in a 74 degree basement?
I am really wanting to make this stuff.

Old 08-30-2009, 03:22 PM   #5364
Recluse
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie3 View Post
Do you think I could let a batch of this stuff ferment in a 74 degree basement?
I am really wanting to make this stuff.
That's about where mine has been, though it is cooling down quickly now that the outside temps are dropping. Somewhere in this huge thread, I think EdWort himself says most of his batches were done around 75 degrees.

Here's the link:

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f25/man-i-love-apfelwein-14860/index15.html#post156786

Last edited by Recluse; 08-30-2009 at 03:24 PM. Reason: Add Link

Old 08-30-2009, 03:38 PM   #5365
Ernie3
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recluse View Post
That's about where mine has been, though it is cooling down quickly now that the outside temps are dropping. Somewhere in this huge thread, I think EdWort himself says most of his batches were done around 75 degrees.

Here's the link:

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f25/man-i-love-apfelwein-14860/index15.html#post156786
cool, thanks. I might see if can score some yeast today and get it going.

Old 08-30-2009, 05:25 PM   #5366
cbw
Recipes 

I've read the entire thread ... even "search this thread" ... do you add k met or anything before bottling? Or is that not a problem because a batch doesn't seem to last very long in anyone's house.

Old 08-30-2009, 07:18 PM   #5367
Ernie3
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

O.K., I got the Montrachet yeast and corn sugar, now I just need the Apple juice and I am in business. I am so excited even if I am a couple years late......
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie3 View Post
cool, thanks. I might see if can score some yeast today and get it going.

Old 08-30-2009, 07:42 PM   #5368
jcobbs
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Also I am TORN between the paeans to Apfelwein here and the similar sentiment about Graff over THERE, so I thought I would make a small(er) batch of each and enjoy the taste testing
Even though a lot of people prefer one over the other, I have to say I like both.
Apfelwein is perfect for those times when you want something just a little lighter and/or drier than Graff. And Graff is perfect for all the rest of the time, pretty much.

Last edited by jcobbs; 08-31-2009 at 02:37 AM. Reason: "drier" not "dryer"--it was bugging me--I don't drink household appliances...well, not large ones anyway...

Old 08-30-2009, 07:59 PM   #5369
Crawland
Recipes 

Quote:
What/how much/what schedule Yeast nutrient did you use?
Ummm...I used the stuff from Northern Brewer called Yeast Nutrient. It calls for a teaspoon per gallon so that is what I put in when I pitched the yeast. I assumed it was that simple. I saw yeast dancing around in about 3 hours and it is bubbling away nicely now.

Old 08-30-2009, 11:34 PM   #5370
Recluse
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawland View Post
Ummm...I used the stuff from Northern Brewer called Yeast Nutrient. It calls for a teaspoon per gallon so that is what I put in when I pitched the yeast. I assumed it was that simple. I saw yeast dancing around in about 3 hours and it is bubbling away nicely now.
I used Fermax. Also stated for use at 1 tsp/gallon. I only used 2 tsp, though. The yeast were mad. They are putting out Rhino Farts at just about 24 h post pitch. Thinking of adding another tsp now..

Quick Reply