New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Man, I love Apfelwein

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2009, 01:22 PM   #5311
rhltechie
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Hi All,

I know everyone keeps saying(or at least through 30 or so pages I have read of the 500!!) that you will like it, just do all of it. I dont have a carboy that big right now so I wanted to do a half batch or so...and also to make sure i was going to like it. i am really not a "cider" person but my better half isnt a beer lover*gasp*. If I half the recipe do I also half the yeast or just use it all? Also, the dextrose, my LHBS only sells 5lb bags...and its the only place I can find corn sugar. Will plain white sugar work? if so, how should it be used?

TIA,

M

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2009, 01:33 PM   #5312
Hegh
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhltechie View Post
Hi All,

I know everyone keeps saying(or at least through 30 or so pages I have read of the 500!!) that you will like it, just do all of it. I dont have a carboy that big right now so I wanted to do a half batch or so...and also to make sure i was going to like it. i am really not a "cider" person but my better half isnt a beer lover*gasp*. If I half the recipe do I also half the yeast or just use it all? Also, the dextrose, my LHBS only sells 5lb bags...and its the only place I can find corn sugar. Will plain white sugar work? if so, how should it be used?

TIA,

M
Use all of the yeast. Plain white sugar is fine, use an equivalent weight (approximately equivalent to 2 cups, if you don't have a scale handy).

Primary: Summer RyePA
Tertiary: Strawberry Blond
On Tap: NB's Oatmeal Stout, Eagle Mills Hard Cider, Hefeweizen, Black Lager, Warsteiner Dunkel Clone

"Bravery is not a function of fire power." ~J.C. Denton

Old 08-21-2009, 01:39 PM   #5313
rhltechie
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hegh View Post
Use all of the yeast. Plain white sugar is fine, use an equivalent weight (approximately equivalent to 2 cups, if you don't have a scale handy).
Thanks for your reply. One other thing (for now anyways...i'm sure I will be hounding for quite a while in some way or another). My house varies from 65-73, is this an ok temp to fermentation of this?

EDIT: see i already thought of something else! I have looked before for my other half, for 100% apple juice, not from concentrate. The only ones I have found not from concentrate are cloudy. so my question is, can you get 100% apple juice that IS from concentrate?

Last edited by rhltechie; 08-21-2009 at 01:54 PM.

Old 08-21-2009, 02:45 PM   #5314
Saccharomyces
Be good to your yeast...
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 73 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhltechie View Post
Thanks for your reply. One other thing (for now anyways...i'm sure I will be hounding for quite a while in some way or another). My house varies from 65-73, is this an ok temp to fermentation of this?
Yes about the same as mine.

Quote:
The only ones I have found not from concentrate are cloudy. so my question is, can you get 100% apple juice that IS from concentrate?
All the juice I have used is from concentrate juice sold in gallon bottles (eg Motts).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soperbrew
big brother only monitors facebook and untappd

Old 08-21-2009, 02:59 PM   #5315
FireNightFly
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Ive so got to try this!! =)

Old 08-21-2009, 03:27 PM   #5316
rhltechie
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saccharomyces View Post
Yes about the same as mine.

All the juice I have used is from concentrate juice sold in gallon bottles (eg Motts).
great, thanks for the replies!

Old 08-21-2009, 07:12 PM   #5317
Mantis
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

So after sitting here all day at work trying to make my way through the 500+ pages, I decided to try a sample of what I had fermenting. It's been fermenting for 3 weeks and starting to clear now, but still fairly hazey. I didn't care, I wanted to try it!!

Good god. This stuff is incredible! SWMBO's exact words were "What the h*** are you so excited about??"

I can't believe it's only been 3 weeks and it already tastes this good. You mean it gets better?!?!?

Now to start on the second batch because, like it's been said so many times already in this thread, this stuff isn't going to last long.

BTW, anybody had stomach issues after drinking?? I had about 3 good gulps when I tried it and this morning I spent about 30 minutes in the bathroom wishing the toilet had a seatbelt attached to it.

Primary: IPA
Primary: Smoked Porter (My first recipe built by me!)
Secondary: Why?
Bottled: Apfelwein, DeathBrewers Franziskaner Dunkel Clone, Brownie Porter, Patersbier, Nut Brown

Last edited by Mantis; 08-21-2009 at 07:15 PM.

Old 08-21-2009, 07:30 PM   #5318
Saccharomyces
Be good to your yeast...
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 73 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
BTW, anybody had stomach issues after drinking?? I had about 3 good gulps when I tried it and this morning I spent about 30 minutes in the bathroom wishing the toilet had a seatbelt attached to it.
That's the live yeast still suspended in it. Once it drops clear you won't have such problems...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soperbrew
big brother only monitors facebook and untappd

Old 08-21-2009, 07:40 PM   #5319
Mantis
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
That's the live yeast still suspended in it. Once it drops clear you won't have such problems...
Ahhhh, I see now. Lesson learned.

Primary: IPA
Primary: Smoked Porter (My first recipe built by me!)
Secondary: Why?
Bottled: Apfelwein, DeathBrewers Franziskaner Dunkel Clone, Brownie Porter, Patersbier, Nut Brown

Old 08-22-2009, 12:20 AM   #5320
artyusmc
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Use plain white sugar if you don't have corn sugar. Dissolve the sugar in a half gallon of the juice over medium heat, let it cool, and add it to the fermenter. I've done it before and it works fine. Brown sugar wouldn't be very good I think, due to the molasses, though it certainly could work in some beers (winter warmers).
thanks Saccharomyces, just got done making it with table sugar like you advised, og at 1.060 so far so good.

Quick Reply