Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Man, I love Apfelwein

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2009, 05:51 PM   #5261
wcarter1227
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts

when i first bottled my batch of apfelwein not many people enjoyed it, being a lot dryer than traditional cider, however i saved a few bottles of woodchuck cider and bottled apfelwein in that. after 2 months a buddy was over and saw the "woodchuck" in the fridge and said it was the best "woodchuck" he had ever had. When i told him it was apfelwein, he asked me to make him a 5 gallon batch, he even paid for all the ingredients. So it looks like ill be making a 10 gallon batch of apfelwein soon, 5 for me and 5 for him.

primary:15 minute Cascade Pale Ale
Primary 2: Cream of 3 crops
Primary 3: Sam Adams Holiday Porter Clone
bottled:BM's Blue Balls Belgian Wit
15 Minute Cascade Pale Ale
DryHopped Cream of 3 Crops
http://hopville.com/brewer/wcarter1227

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2009, 12:17 AM   #5262
Hegh
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radecky View Post
My 1st 5 gallons I ended up drinking in 3 weeks after I bottled it. boy o boy it was good The 2nd 5 gallons I have purposefully left in the primary to keep me out of it. It has been sitting for about 4 months after the became completely clear. My question is does the bulk aging add the character that it would otherwise gain in the bottle?

B-
As far as I know, it adds the same character, but faster... Or maybe better character... I've not done a side-by-side test, but bulk-aging is generally considered the right way to go.

Primary: Summer RyePA
Tertiary: Strawberry Blond
On Tap: NB's Oatmeal Stout, Eagle Mills Hard Cider, Hefeweizen, Black Lager, Warsteiner Dunkel Clone

"Bravery is not a function of fire power." ~J.C. Denton

Old 08-01-2009, 06:11 AM   #5263
Athos710
Recipes 

I finally made it to the end of this thread . My Mr Beer batch true to Ed Wort's recipe is 3.5 weeks in and will be bottled at the 5 week mark. My 3 gallon batch with 1 gallon cranberry juice cocktail is fermenting along nicely. I think I'll leave this in for 6 or 8 weeks then brew up the batch I already have the juice for with blueberry juice cocktail. The plan is to keep that 3 gallon better bottle always fermenting some version or another of Apfelwein.

I plan on carbing half of my first batch with apple juice and leaving the other half still. And by still, I mean I will be bottling it in beer bottles, but not degassing or killing off the yeasts. It'll probably end up with a slight carb if I can let it age as long as I would like. For those that care, I worked it out to 1 oz of juice for every 16 oz of Apfelwein should carb at the same rate as 1oz/gal of corn sugar. From this thread over here.

Old 08-01-2009, 04:33 PM   #5264
wcarter1227
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts

i didnt kill the yeast nor did i degass my still apfelwein. it has a slight carb to it and is very dangerous. goes down really smooth although i prefer my supercarbed apfelwein.

primary:15 minute Cascade Pale Ale
Primary 2: Cream of 3 crops
Primary 3: Sam Adams Holiday Porter Clone
bottled:BM's Blue Balls Belgian Wit
15 Minute Cascade Pale Ale
DryHopped Cream of 3 Crops
http://hopville.com/brewer/wcarter1227

Old 08-02-2009, 02:25 AM   #5265
Notnice
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

+1mill on carbed apfel. i just tried some uncarbed and it not my cup of tea.

and on a side note for anyone that thinks its hoochy, i let some age for 2 weeks on some oak and it was nice to drink as soon as carbed. the oak really mutes the alcohol taste.

Priming: CBB 1.1, apfelwein
Chillin:1st Mead, ApfelMango-Cyzer, aleApfelwein,blackchapfelwein,blackfelwein,
Blucyzer, Cyzer.
Bottled: Apfelwein 2, Crazy Beech Bitter
Trench Town Brown, Mouf of the Souf Stout, New Mouf of the Souf, Oaked Apfel, Slow-wit
Next Up:Cream ale, Scott red, 888RIS or cocoOatmealRIS, Apfelwein and more Apfelwein

"Always do sober what you said you would do drunk. That will teach you to keep you're mouth shut."-E. Hemingway

Old 08-02-2009, 07:59 AM   #5266
portlandbeergeek
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notnice View Post
+1mill on carbed apfel. i just tried some uncarbed and it not my cup of tea.

and on a side note for anyone that thinks its hoochy, i let some age for 2 weeks on some oak and it was nice to drink as soon as carbed. the oak really mutes the alcohol taste.
That sounds delicious. How much and what type of oak did you use? Was it the last two weeks of the primary or did you rack it onto the chips after it fermented out?

I drink I have a thinking problem!!!

Old 08-02-2009, 03:11 PM   #5267
marubozo
I can has homebrew?
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5366 Times on 5225 Posts
Likes Given: 222

I'm not going to read every single post, but did have a quick question. What's the consensus on when to bottle? I just realized that I completely forgot about my apfelwein and I started it back on like June 15 so it's just been sitting there for about 7 weeks now. So should it go to bottles now to age for another few months or let it bulk age longer?

Old 08-02-2009, 03:56 PM   #5268
Hegh
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by marubozo View Post
I'm not going to read every single post, but did have a quick question. What's the consensus on when to bottle? I just realized that I completely forgot about my apfelwein and I started it back on like June 15 so it's just been sitting there for about 7 weeks now. So should it go to bottles now to age for another few months or let it bulk age longer?
Between 1 and 8 months after pitching, I think

Primary: Summer RyePA
Tertiary: Strawberry Blond
On Tap: NB's Oatmeal Stout, Eagle Mills Hard Cider, Hefeweizen, Black Lager, Warsteiner Dunkel Clone

"Bravery is not a function of fire power." ~J.C. Denton

Old 08-03-2009, 07:06 PM   #5269
Drew_101
Recipes 

I let mine set for 12 weeks in primary then I bottled half still and half carbed. For the carbed I let set for 3 weeks min. I did try one at 1 1/2 weeks and it was good. I used Notty yeast.

Primary 1- Mex. Cerv
Primary 2- Grape Mead
Primary 3- Air
Primary 4- JAOM (1gal)
Primary 5- Not so ancient orange mead (1 gal)
Primary 6- Not so ancient orange mead (1 gal)
Bottled- To many to list

Old 08-03-2009, 07:15 PM   #5270
elbajista
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew_101 View Post
I let mine set for 12 weeks in primary then I bottled half still and half carbed. For the carbed I let set for 3 weeks min. I did try one at 1 1/2 weeks and it was good. I used Notty yeast.
How did you like the still version?

Quick Reply