Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Man, I love Apfelwein

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-25-2009, 08:51 PM   #5121
iammatt
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blank3d View Post
is there a search option on the page somewhere to just search within the 500+page thread?

anywho, i'm going to be making my first apfelwein batch tonite (as if anyone would care) but was just curious if 7.9 gallon plastic ale pail was good for fermenting this in? I have an extra ale pail lying around that i dont really use all the time and i'd figure why not. i notice alot of people on here use either plastic carboy or glass carboy when doing this batch. is it because you want to know when its cleared or it doesnt really matter?
Just let it sit for 8 weeks, then pop that ale pale lid, and it should be cleared, if not, re-lid or rack it to whatever, and let it sit longer. Once that's done, sit back and have a home brew and not fret!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2009, 08:59 PM   #5122
Bradinator
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I have got to say it -- Wow. This is some really tasty stuff. I took a gravity reading last night (Around 3 weeks in the carboy, now reading 0.998) and had a taste test. I cannot believe how well this is turning out.

It still needs more time as it has not cleared yet and I would like to see it hit 0.990 before bottling. I am going to give it at least another 3 weeks so it should be finished just in time for my birthday!

Old 06-25-2009, 10:25 PM   #5123
Stratotankard
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hegh View Post
Wow, do you have an OG on that? It must be like 15-16% ABV!
I didn't get an OG, and I'm starting to wonder if i read the hydrometer right. .920 just seems too low for ale yeast (Notty or not). That said, this is very dry and a little hot, so it may be correct. I can say this has very nice legs when poured in a wine glass and swirled.

I'll give it a few months in the bottle and see if it mellows any.

Terje

---------------------------------------------
Primary: Burned Mead
Secondary: Bourbon Barrel Porter
Bottled: More Bourbon Barrel Porter, New Pekin Common, Flat Tail Old Ale, Bad Monkey Banana Wine, Flanders Red, Pumpkin Ale
Drinking: Too Much
On deck: Something crazy to use up the 3+ pounds of hops sitting in my freezer

Old 06-25-2009, 10:45 PM   #5124
zzees
Recipes 

just made this, but I didn't rehydrate my yeast... am I hosed? I was following the original post to the letter and didn't even think about it until I was done. Also, I have carboy set up in my basement which is ~67'ish degrees, will it be fine?

One more thing, I used a yeast nutrient as well. It's the only thing I did that wasn't in the OP recipe.

In Bottles: All Empty, thanks the mead that's taking forever.
Beers we have known and loved: Amber Ale.

Last edited by zzees; 06-25-2009 at 11:29 PM.

Old 06-25-2009, 11:29 PM   #5125
Stratotankard
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzees View Post
just made this, but I didn't rehydrate my yeast... am I hosed? I was following the original post to the letter and didn't even think about it until I was done. Also, I have carboy set up in my basement which is ~67'ish degrees, will it be fine?

One more thing, I used a yeast nutrient as well. It's the only thing I did that wasn't in the OP recipe.
Should be just fine. I just sprinkled my yeast in the gallon carboy, never rehydrated and mine came out fine. It might take a bit longer to start, but otherwise no issues.

---------------------------------------------
Primary: Burned Mead
Secondary: Bourbon Barrel Porter
Bottled: More Bourbon Barrel Porter, New Pekin Common, Flat Tail Old Ale, Bad Monkey Banana Wine, Flanders Red, Pumpkin Ale
Drinking: Too Much
On deck: Something crazy to use up the 3+ pounds of hops sitting in my freezer

Old 06-25-2009, 11:33 PM   #5126
RogerMcAllen
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Because I like to brag, Apfelwood taps for my soon to be ready Apfelwein:

All I did was cut up the branches, scrap off the bark, drill a hole, and pound in a 3/8" coarse threaded rod union.

Old 06-26-2009, 12:08 AM   #5127
zzees
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratotankard View Post
Should be just fine. I just sprinkled my yeast in the gallon carboy, never rehydrated and mine came out fine. It might take a bit longer to start, but otherwise no issues.

thanks for the quick reply.

I have a nice place for it in my basement, so it can sit in the primary for 3 months undisturbed. So it's NP if it takes a bit longer to get started. Once it gets going I hope the yeast nutrient kicks it into gear.

Old 06-26-2009, 12:42 AM   #5128
zzees
Recipes 

Bah, just realized I forgot to take a OG reading. I fail at making apfelwein.

Old 06-26-2009, 06:42 PM   #5129
Blank3d
Recipes 

ah sh!t. i just bucketed my first batch. followed all directions and sanitized my equipment twice. towards the end of my last quart of pouring apple juice into the bucket i noticed something floating at the bottom of the bucket. got my sanitized spoon and fished it out of there. under close inspection it seemed like it was a fly leg, i could be wrong, thats what it looked like. anywho, now i'm paranoid that my batch will go to waste...

anyone one else on here ever have a "fly" leg or anything else for that matter fall into their batch while making a batch? lol

i should be fine though, right?

Primary:
Secondary:
Kegged: Bellandy's Double IPA
Next Brews:

When I'm not brewing beer: Graphic Design

Old 06-27-2009, 12:57 AM   #5130
Hegh
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blank3d View Post
ah sh!t. i just bucketed my first batch. followed all directions and sanitized my equipment twice. towards the end of my last quart of pouring apple juice into the bucket i noticed something floating at the bottom of the bucket. got my sanitized spoon and fished it out of there. under close inspection it seemed like it was a fly leg, i could be wrong, thats what it looked like. anywho, now i'm paranoid that my batch will go to waste...

anyone one else on here ever have a "fly" leg or anything else for that matter fall into their batch while making a batch? lol

i should be fine though, right?
Should be fine, but if you're really worried, I'm pretty sure the accepted thing to do is to drop 1 campden tablet in for each gallon, mix it around until dissolved, wait a week, and re-pitch your yeast ('cause that would have killed the yeast as well as any bacteria).

Anyone, correct me if I got that wrong, I'm not a wine guy.

Primary: Summer RyePA
Tertiary: Strawberry Blond
On Tap: NB's Oatmeal Stout, Eagle Mills Hard Cider, Hefeweizen, Black Lager, Warsteiner Dunkel Clone

"Bravery is not a function of fire power." ~J.C. Denton

Quick Reply