Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Man, I love Apfelwein

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-22-2009, 10:20 PM   #5111
Hegh
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

If it's still going, let it go. It'll be better for your patience. Don't worry. If you really want, pull a sample for a gravity and taste check.

Primary: Summer RyePA
Tertiary: Strawberry Blond
On Tap: NB's Oatmeal Stout, Eagle Mills Hard Cider, Hefeweizen, Black Lager, Warsteiner Dunkel Clone

"Bravery is not a function of fire power." ~J.C. Denton

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2009, 04:03 AM   #5112
iammatt
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Just started a new batch tonight....

4 Gallons Apple Juice
1 Gallon Black Cherry Juice
1 lbs. Dextrose
3 tsp. Yeast Nutrient

1 11.5g Safale S-04

Starting Gravity of: 1.060

My plan is to ferment it in the low 60's via an ice bath, and let it go. Can't wait to see how it turns out.

Ingredients:
Cherry Apfelwein Ingredients on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Must:
Cherry Apfelwein Must on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Last edited by iammatt; 06-23-2009 at 04:47 AM.

Old 06-23-2009, 01:48 PM   #5113
LovesMeSomeBeer
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hegh View Post
Don't worry. If you really want, pull a sample for a gravity and taste check.
You talked me right into it. Gosh its GOOD! I really enjoy a dry drink and this is probably the driest I've had. Delicious.

Now all I have to worry about is what damage may I have done by introducing room air into the better bottle -- I had to remove the airlock in order for the sample top discharge from the spigot.

Old 06-23-2009, 02:27 PM   #5114
Hegh
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovesMeSomeBeer View Post
You talked me right into it. Gosh its GOOD! I really enjoy a dry drink and this is probably the driest I've had. Delicious.

Now all I have to worry about is what damage may I have done by introducing room air into the better bottle -- I had to remove the airlock in order for the sample top discharge from the spigot.
CO2 is heavier than air, no worries.

On Tap: NB's Oatmeal Stout, Eagle Mills Hard Cider, Hefeweizen, Black Lager, Warsteiner Dunkel Clone

Old 06-24-2009, 12:58 PM   #5115
VTBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Tried to read thru the 512 pages before asking this...

...are most people not carbonating this at all? I was thinking about pulling two tap-a-drafts unprimed and then the remianing 10 or so 22oz bottles with carb drops. I could always force carb the kegs if I like it that way better...

...that sound like a reasonable way to go?

Recipes And Blogs: ClubHomeBrew

Old 06-24-2009, 01:02 PM   #5116
LovesMeSomeBeer
Recipes 

This is my first batch and I had maybe a 10 oz sample last night. I think it's super without being carbonated. I tasted it both room temperature and chilled. Chilled, it's very refreshing. That said, I will bottle sometime in the next 4 weeks and I plan on carbonating a few 16 oz bottles (using carbonation tablets). Most of it, however, I will simply bottle in 1 liter bottles, uncarbonated.

Old 06-25-2009, 05:40 AM   #5117
Stratotankard
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 2 Posts

Ok, I made a 1 gallon batch back in early January hoping to be ready for my wife when she got home from her deployment in late February. Didn't finish fermenting in time and got moved to the back of the closet and forgotten. I bottled last night and am enjoying one of the still bottles (Half had carb tabs added).

Only differences I used 1.5lb of brown sugar (think that's too much for 1 gallon?) and Nottingham thinking I wanted a bit of sweetness. Silly me! Notty is a beast, this stuff dried out to .920! (Is that possible?) It still tastes like apples, but has some hotness still. I was also thinking a bit of tartness (think Granny Smith or crab apples) would go nicely. Any ideas on what to add to get that?

Terje

---------------------------------------------
Primary: Burned Mead
Secondary: Bourbon Barrel Porter
Bottled: More Bourbon Barrel Porter, New Pekin Common, Flat Tail Old Ale, Bad Monkey Banana Wine, Flanders Red, Pumpkin Ale
Drinking: Too Much
On deck: Something crazy to use up the 3+ pounds of hops sitting in my freezer

Old 06-25-2009, 12:30 PM   #5118
Hegh
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratotankard View Post
Ok, I made a 1 gallon batch back in early January hoping to be ready for my wife when she got home from her deployment in late February. Didn't finish fermenting in time and got moved to the back of the closet and forgotten. I bottled last night and am enjoying one of the still bottles (Half had carb tabs added).

Only differences I used 1.5lb of brown sugar (think that's too much for 1 gallon?) and Nottingham thinking I wanted a bit of sweetness. Silly me! Notty is a beast, this stuff dried out to .920! (Is that possible?) It still tastes like apples, but has some hotness still. I was also thinking a bit of tartness (think Granny Smith or crab apples) would go nicely. Any ideas on what to add to get that?

Terje
Wow, do you have an OG on that? It must be like 15-16% ABV!

Old 06-25-2009, 06:49 PM   #5119
Blank3d
Recipes 

is there a search option on the page somewhere to just search within the 500+page thread?

anywho, i'm going to be making my first apfelwein batch tonite (as if anyone would care) but was just curious if 7.9 gallon plastic ale pail was good for fermenting this in? I have an extra ale pail lying around that i dont really use all the time and i'd figure why not. i notice alot of people on here use either plastic carboy or glass carboy when doing this batch. is it because you want to know when its cleared or it doesnt really matter?

Primary:
Secondary:
Kegged: Bellandy's Double IPA
Next Brews:

When I'm not brewing beer: Graphic Design

Old 06-25-2009, 07:00 PM   #5120
OrlandoHomeBrewer
Recipes 

I think it will be fine in the plastic. Most people prefer the carboys since there is no blow off and you can get by with an airlock. It does make it easier to see when it has cleared. I have been leaving my in the carboy for about 60 days and it is nice and clear.

Quick Reply