Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Man, I love Apfelwein

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-28-2009, 06:10 PM   #4871
78kombi
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

ok PU! this stuff stinks when fermenting!!!! must be the red star montrachet. wife made me move it out into the storage room....

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-28-2009, 06:39 PM   #4872
MikeBlick
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hegh View Post
I am not experienced with adding spices to anything, but my guess would be that you should add them at bottling time, since most spices have alcohol-soluble flavors that wouldn't come out otherwise; they'd probably sink to the bottom and get thrown out. Maybe someone else will know better, though.
I added 1 big cinnamon stick, 2 cloves, and 2 cardamon pods to my last batch in secondary and it sat on the spices for 2 months. When I bottled it had an overwhelming smell of cardamon and a slight spiced taste. 4 months later, I can't taste or smell the spices at all. That said, it still tastes great.

Old 04-28-2009, 07:41 PM   #4873
Beau815
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78kombi View Post
ok PU! this stuff stinks when fermenting!!!! must be the red star montrachet. wife made me move it out into the storage room....

stinks for a day or so... straight up farts... but when all is said and done you got yourself some great appy wine, or apple feeny if you will. Any which way you call it youre gonna wanna have some on hand for the hot summer days.

Old 04-28-2009, 11:40 PM   #4874
Nugu
Recipes 

At 43 days in primary I took my first sample. 0.999-1.000 FG and I chilled my hydro in a beer bottle to sample.

Chilled down and everything I tried the Apfelwein and the best I can describe it is almost soured apple flavored. Is this the normal taste? I found it to be almost undrinkable.

Old 04-29-2009, 12:29 AM   #4875
Brule
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugu View Post
At 43 days in primary I took my first sample. 0.999-1.000 FG and I chilled my hydro in a beer bottle to sample.

Chilled down and everything I tried the Apfelwein and the best I can describe it is almost soured apple flavored. Is this the normal taste? I found it to be almost undrinkable.
The one batch I have made was very dry and only has a slight apple taste. If it's something strong enough to make it near "undrinkable" it's surprising.

The man who lets a leader prescribe his course is a wreck being towed to the scrap heap. - Ayn Rand

Drinking: Apfelwein, Irish Red Ale, Octane IPA
Fermenting: Apfelwein(version2)
Planned: ESB, Mead

Old 04-29-2009, 12:45 AM   #4876
Nugu
Recipes 

It's more just sour than apple. I don't really drink anything other than beer so I can't describe it much better.

Old 04-29-2009, 02:31 AM   #4877
MFDave
Recipes 

I know usually the best way is to spice it before drinking but I kinda wanted to make it spiced enough in the bottle. Going by what Mike said, I'm thinking maybe I should like double or triple my spice bill in the secondary. What do you guys think?

Primary: Pomegranate Apfelwein, Brandon O's Graff (w/ some slight alterations)
Bottle Conditioning: Die Apple! Apfelwein, Pear Soda (w/ vanilla & cinnamon), Mango Soda, Orange-Cream Soda, Ginger Ale
Awesoming: Die Apple! Apfelwein
Up Next: Cherry Vanilla Cider

Old 04-29-2009, 10:05 PM   #4878
yaleforks
Recipes 

Ok another question. THis is my first time fermenting anything. I followed Edworts recipe to the letter even using the 5 gallon better bottles. Placed in the fermenter on 4/03/09. Activity in the airlock was vigorous for the 1st 10 days then it pretty much stopped. Today 4/29 i took a sample with a thief and it still tastes alot like apple. Still hasnt cleared that much. I do have clumps of bubbles on the surface but no airlock activity. No dryness detected and not really any alcohol. It smells almost like bear maybe a little yeastier. Is it possible the fermentation stuck? I expected the alcohol to be more upfront. I did experience some pretty cold temps at the beginning of fermentation 50-52F. If it did stick could i add another package of dry yeast?

Old 04-29-2009, 10:15 PM   #4879
CATFISHER74
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaleforks View Post
It smells almost like bear maybe a little yeastier.
My first concern would be it smells like a bear have you ever been up close to one they don't smell to good.

I wish it were winter so we could freeze it into ice blocks and skate on it and melt it in the spring time and drink it!

Old 04-29-2009, 10:39 PM   #4880
Beau815
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Im guessing you dont have a hydrometer to tell if its done. I can see how one might think it smells like a beer, youre smelling the alcohol. If its cloudy leave it for another week or two, and yes it smells and even tastes pretty yeasty at this time. I taste yeast pretty bad in finished apfelwein anyway.

Quick Reply