Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Man, I love Apfelwein

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2009, 02:57 AM   #4821
ArcaneXor
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Interesting solution - no reason it shouldn't work, though I would rinse and sanitize the condom before applying to the bottle.

I have some fruit punch fermenting right now in its original container. I used a #8 stopper (7.5 would probably work better) to fit an airlock onto the opening. If you have those airlock sizes lying around, I'd give that a try as well.

Secondary: Orange Blossom Mead, Flanders Red I
Kegged: Fat Man Porter w/ 1469, Fat Man Porter w/ 005, Centennial Falcon w/ Conan, Centennial Falcon w/ Denny's, Barrel-aged Fat Man Porter, Belgian Dark Strong
Bottled: Flanders Red I

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2009, 03:04 AM   #4822
Merz
Recipes 

Think it would be possible to carbonate in this container also? Add some sugar and put the cap on? Maybe this is asking too much.

Old 04-17-2009, 03:08 AM   #4823
portlandbeergeek
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

make sure the condom hasn't yet been used.

Aside from any possible deposits from a used condom....I'd be concerned with lubricants being introduced to the fermenting Apfelwein. That, and the latex smell.

I'd strongly suggest an airlock instead of the rubber.

I drink I have a thinking problem!!!

Old 04-17-2009, 03:20 AM   #4824
knarfks
Recipes 

If you serve the aplwein directly out of the jug you will have a ton of sediment. Drill a hole in the cap and shove an airlock in if you want to go ghetto. Condoms are not for brewing purposes.

Primary: nothing :(
Secondary: Dry Mead
Bottled: Oatmeal Stout, apfelwein, craplwein, Orange Blossom Mead, Two heart clone
Kegged: Apfelwein...wedding cleared out 3 kegs

Old 04-17-2009, 03:24 AM   #4825
Merz
Recipes 

I used a condom because i assume they are sterile. I just moved into a new house and dont have any sanitizer or airlocks with me. I will see how it works. If i do it again, i will get an airlock. If it doesnt work, im out about $4.

If there is too much sediment, I will just bottle it.

The condom wasnt the idea i was excited about. I thought it would be nice to make apfelwein without needing a carboy, funnel, etc..

Last edited by Merz; 04-17-2009 at 04:16 AM.

Old 04-17-2009, 07:21 AM   #4826
Denny's Evil Concoctions
Grande Megalomaniac
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 42 Posts

That totally looks like some wierd urban redneck sex toy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merz View Post
I had an idea. I dont know if anyone has tried this, and i didnt want to search all 100 pages to find out.

Anyone use the applejuice jug as the fermenter?

Add the corn sugar and yeast to the jug. Poke a pinhole in a condom or balloon and put over the top.

I figure when its done, i will pull the condom off and put the cap back on quickly. Now you have 1 gallon of uncarbonate apfelwein in a convenient and discreet travel container.

Any reason why this isnt going to work? Its bubbling nicely right now.

I may not be an expert, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express........ 6 months ago.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/denn...9/#post1766281

http://groups.homebrewtalk.com/Tapro...ook_Repository

Old 04-17-2009, 12:11 PM   #4827
Hegh
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merz View Post
Think it would be possible to carbonate in this container also? Add some sugar and put the cap on? Maybe this is asking too much.
I'd be surprised if the container was able to hold carbonation. It certainly wasn't meant to, and I'd bet those seams along the edges would burst.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knarfks View Post
If you serve the aplwein directly out of the jug you will have a ton of sediment. ...
Yes, but you could probably stick it in the fridge for 4-6 days after it's done fermenting to cake the yeast on the bottom. Then pour off the apfelwein into a sanitized bowl or something, quickly rinse and re-sanitize the container, and pour it back in. Voila, no sediment!

Primary: Summer RyePA
Tertiary: Strawberry Blond
On Tap: NB's Oatmeal Stout, Eagle Mills Hard Cider, Hefeweizen, Black Lager, Warsteiner Dunkel Clone

"Bravery is not a function of fire power." ~J.C. Denton

Old 04-17-2009, 12:37 PM   #4828
CATFISHER74
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

The condom will let out less Co then a airlock probably causing carbonation.

I wish it were winter so we could freeze it into ice blocks and skate on it and melt it in the spring time and drink it!

Old 04-17-2009, 01:34 PM   #4829
TheBandit
Recipes 

Wow what a thread!!! I'm up to the 3000th post and forgetting some of the stuff I read. I got all the ingredients together and started my first batches. I made a 2.5 gallon batch with 1 lb of corn sugar, a 1 gallon batch with 5.63 oz of cane sugar and another 1 gallon batch with straight juice. I used Montrachet with all. The OG of the Natures Own Apple juice is 1.042 and both the cane and corn sugar batches bumped the OG to 1.055. Do these gravities sound right?
By the way 8 hours later all batches have a ring of small bubbles on the surface.

Old 04-18-2009, 12:02 AM   #4830
Beerzoid
Recipes 

I made a 2 gallon batch of Apfelwein about 2 months ago and just had my first glass. It's better than I thought it would be. After hearing that it tastes similar to a white wine (I hate wine with a passion) I was pleasantly surprised. It tastes similar to apple juice mixed with champagne but without the dry/bitter aftertaste. I'm going to let the rest of it age for another month or so and see if it changes. I should mention I also used some lactose at bottling time because I was afraid it wouldn't be sweet enough.

Quick Reply