*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Man, I love Apfelwein

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2006, 02:42 AM   #461
EdWort
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 264 Times on 138 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri_Rage
Kegged mine tonight! It finished at 9.3% ABV, and it's quite dry in flavor...but TASTY!

It has enough apply goodness, though, that I finally made something that SWMBO likes! I was going to back-sweeten with lactose, but she likes it as is! Awesome.
Congrats! It's an aquired taste that takes about 3 glasses. Once that happens, desires to sweeten it fades.

I'll have to try that Sam's club juice!

Happy New Year!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2006, 10:03 PM   #462
prey
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

just started two 5 gallon batches with Lalvin EC-1118. Used 2.5 lbs of corn sugar for each, let's hope it turns out well.

Old 12-30-2006, 10:23 PM   #463
dibby33

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Started mine last night finally. Checked it this morning and getting one bubble every two minutes - might be a little too cold in my cellar just now.

Primary
s : Ginger Beer, Wheat Beer
Secondary :
Empty
Bottled
: all drunk
Drinking : A Lot.
Next Up : Wheat Beer with grainy things

Old 12-31-2006, 01:47 AM   #464
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 609 Times on 376 Posts
Likes Given: 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdWort
Congrats! It's an aquired taste that takes about 3 glasses. Once that happens, desires to sweeten it fades.

I'll have to try that Sam's club juice!

Happy New Year!
If this is an acquired taste, then I acquired that taste with the first hydrometer sample at 3 weeks! I didn't want to sweeten it, but I thought that might help make it a bit more palatable for SWMBO. Turns out she likes it as is.

Having a pint as we speak - wow is this good!

Speaking of the New Year - this might become my drink of choice for the midnight toast! Happy New Year!

Old 12-31-2006, 03:45 AM   #465
ahsndpro
Recipes 

Has anyone tried to make a small batch? I was wondering if I were to make a smaller batch if I would reduce the amount of yeast or if I would still dump the entire packet in?

Old 12-31-2006, 06:09 AM   #466
RichBrewer

Recipes 

Liked 84 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahsndpro
Has anyone tried to make a small batch? I was wondering if I were to make a smaller batch if I would reduce the amount of yeast or if I would still dump the entire packet in?
I'm thinking about doing a 1 gallon batch and I will pour a whole packet of yeast into it.
What would happen if I put some frozen concentrate into the juice instead of the sugar? Maybe get it to 1.080 or 1.090 and use a wine or champagne yeast?

Cheers,
Rich

Old 12-31-2006, 07:48 PM   #467
EdWort

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBrewer
I'm thinking about doing a 1 gallon batch and I will pour a whole packet of yeast into it.
What would happen if I put some frozen concentrate into the juice instead of the sugar? Maybe get it to 1.080 or 1.090 and use a wine or champagne yeast?
If I were to do a one gallon batch, I'd buy a gallon of the juice I wanted, open it and pour off about 8 oz, then add 1/2 cup of dextrose, put the cap back on and shake it well to dissolve the sugar.

I would then sprinkle about a 1/2 a packet of Montrachet Wine yeast in there and put a rubber stopper in the mouth of the bottle with an airlock.

Then wait 4 weeks. As long as you use Montrachet, there won't be any blow off.

Cheers,

EdWort

Haus Pale Ale, Bavarian Hefeweizen, Robust Porter, Oktoberfest Ale, Wounded Knee IPA, Rye IPA, BCB IPA, Kolsch, Apfelwein

Old 01-02-2007, 01:11 AM   #468
giant016
Recipes 

Alright, you guys were getting pretty excited about this stuff, so I decided to try a small batch (1gal) on the 21st. I've got a few questions:

1) I used an Ale yeast I had. Is the 4 week fermantation (long fermentation) because you used wine yeast or will my ale yeast take just as long? I didn't do a gravity reading so I'm kind of lost. Is it done fermenting when the bubbles stop coming from the carboy (the bubbles actually rising in the carboy, not the airlock...this stuff is bubbling like crazy)

2) After I "brewed" it I decided I that I wanted to add some cinnamin. I was thinking of adding some before I bottled, but will this fermant as well? I'm going to taste it before I bottle to decide if I'll prime, but if I do I don't want the cinnamin creating any bottle bombs.

Old 01-02-2007, 02:56 AM   #469
EdWort

Recipes 

1. Apple juice takes that long to ferment and for the yeast to begin to fall. Bubbles will continue for a long time from what I have seen. The airlock will bubble every now and then when enough pressure builds.

2. I don't think cinnamon is fermentable, but if you add it, I would let it age at least 4 weeks before tasting.

In any event, I use Montrachet wine yeast and I try to keep this as simple and easy as possible. If you make it my way, withhold judgment till after 3 chilled glasses. Most folks find that it is a tasty beverage after that.

Cheers,

EdWort

Haus Pale Ale, Bavarian Hefeweizen, Robust Porter, Oktoberfest Ale, Wounded Knee IPA, Rye IPA, BCB IPA, Kolsch, Apfelwein

Old 01-02-2007, 03:33 PM   #470
Desert_Sky

Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 2

starting to clear up!

Ill probably keg it this weekend

Quick Reply