Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Man, I love Apfelwein

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2009, 05:25 PM   #4621
StoutFan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Home Depot carries Culligan water bottles that are #1. They are only $6 too, nice price.

Gambrinous - to be full of beer

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2009, 05:29 PM   #4622
gingerdawg
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoutFan View Post
Home Depot carries Culligan water bottles that are #1. They are only $6 too, nice price.
You gotta watch the cullingan bottles, some are #1 and some are #7. I don't know if they are in the process of a changeover, or if they just have mixed inventory. I have noted that their "purified" water always seems to be in #1 bottles and their Spring water is most often #7 with the occaisional #1 mixed in. HD sells the Spring water, but there is a Culligan warehouse just down the road from me that sells several water types (distilled, spring purified and RO) in 3 gallon and 5 gallon.

Old 03-05-2009, 05:51 PM   #4623
llazy_llama
Recipes 

Liked 68 Times on 27 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by babalu87 View Post
Has anyone asked Ed why the Montrachet yeast?
Was that the one sitting in the fridge?
Because it comes the closest to the Apfelwein he had in Frankfurt.

Old 03-05-2009, 07:36 PM   #4624
kaiser423
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerdawg View Post
You gotta watch the cullingan bottles, some are #1 and some are #7. I don't know if they are in the process of a changeover, or if they just have mixed inventory. I have noted that their "purified" water always seems to be in #1 bottles and their Spring water is most often #7 with the occaisional #1 mixed in. HD sells the Spring water, but there is a Culligan warehouse just down the road from me that sells several water types (distilled, spring purified and RO) in 3 gallon and 5 gallon.
Every bottle at my home depot was a #7, otherwise I would've picked them up. I imagine that everyone's shifting towards #1's, but it happens faster in some places than others.

Old 03-05-2009, 07:46 PM   #4625
Denny's Evil Concoctions
Grande Megalomaniac
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 42 Posts

#7 water bottles are polycarbonate and can be used. I used them for many many many many (shall I go on) years. There's just as much Biph-a in a can of coke, if that's your worry.

Get a used water bottle, the Biph-a should have leached out of those used ones a long time ago.

I may not be an expert, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express........ 6 months ago.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/denn...9/#post1766281

http://groups.homebrewtalk.com/Tapro...ook_Repository

Old 03-05-2009, 08:43 PM   #4626
spitfire
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I just want to pick one of the cheaper water bottles so I can use my 2 BB as my secondary for beer and the cheap one for my ciders and apfelwein's

Old 03-06-2009, 03:12 AM   #4627
Notnice
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

damn after reading the first page and then the last 200 pages I'm going to hop right into this. I am ordering a 5 gal BB and the yeast right now.. I guess it helps to be drinking woodchuck now also

Priming: CBB 1.1, apfelwein
Chillin:1st Mead, ApfelMango-Cyzer, aleApfelwein,blackchapfelwein,blackfelwein,
Blucyzer, Cyzer.
Bottled: Apfelwein 2, Crazy Beech Bitter
Trench Town Brown, Mouf of the Souf Stout, New Mouf of the Souf, Oaked Apfel, Slow-wit
Next Up:Cream ale, Scott red, 888RIS or cocoOatmealRIS, Apfelwein and more Apfelwein

"Always do sober what you said you would do drunk. That will teach you to keep you're mouth shut."-E. Hemingway

Old 03-06-2009, 03:16 AM   #4628
kaiser423
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Back to the Apfelwine at hand.....I wasn't really looking to carbonate it. I'm already having enough problems finding bottles for my beer at this point (and I really don't feel like bottling three 5 gallon batches the same day).

But I would like a little, uh, effervescence. Ed mentioned splashing it with 7up or something like that when you serve it. What do you guys think about me just racking into some growlers (cracking the seal every week to let off whatever pressure might build up), and then when serving it up just have some 7up they can splash it with, or mix it up and put it in a container with a spout at a party?

I haven't really seen anyone talk about how it is combined with 7up, or something else and was curious as to how it compares.

Old 03-06-2009, 10:45 PM   #4629
spitfire
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I am ready to make some of this tonight. I had an order for my starter kit and it came in today. I thought I had ordered 2 pounds of corn sugar but guess I didn't. I know I can use brown sugar instead but can you buy corn sugar at the grocery store? Is it called something else at the store?

If I use brown sugar, should I still use 2 pounds? I plan to use light brown sugar. Also, do I mix the brown sugar the same way as the corn sugar or do I have to boil the brown sugar in juice first?

Old 03-06-2009, 11:47 PM   #4630
KerryD
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Yep, you use it the same way.

If you have a health food store near by you might find corn sugar there.

I did batches with both and i can't tell the difference.

Primary I: Barley Wine Divine #6 attempt
Primary II: Saint Arnold's Elissa Clone
3 Gal BB: Ed Wort's Apfelwein
Next up: .....
Bottled: Wing and a Prayer IPA, AHS Blue Moon, Centennial Blond, Yoopers Dogfish 60 Clone, Texas Wheat, SN Celebration Ale clone, Ed's Haus Pale Ale, 6 variations of Apfelwein

Quick Reply