Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Man, I love Apfelwein

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-23-2006, 05:54 PM   #441
MariaAZ
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

I'm giving this recipe a try in miniature, which about a quart of reconstituted frozen juice, a couple tablespoons of corn syrup and a pinch of champagne yeast in a glass rum bottle fitted with an airlock as a fermenter.

My original thought for doing this teeny tiny batch was to watch fermentation happen using ingredients I have on hand (I have a fermentation bucket.. not much excitement except when the airlock bubbles). After a few days, it tasted like sparkling apple juice with just the tiniest kick, and I will definitely make it again just for this particular stage. However, I'm so excited by how well this little experiment is turning out that I'm going to make a larger batch as soon as I get enough bottles together to bottle it and the beer currently in the fermenter (gosh, I really need to look into kegging.)

I like the idea of using this as grog, but can see the concern about how much alcohol would be burned off if heating a portion to mull the spices.

What about using fresh apple juice for mulling instead of water or apfelwein? I'd think apple juice would complement the wein's flavor without diluting it like water would, as well as add a touch of sweetness.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2006, 07:15 PM   #442
MikeRLynch

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Mulling in applejuice, that's a perfect idea! I knew it was a good idea to ask you guys I'll start on it this afternoon and i'll let you know what the guests think.

A side note, I did this exact recipe with pomegranate/blueberry juice instead of apple, and DAMN its some good stuff. Absolutely needs some aging time though, not a quick brew. I suggest trying every type of juice you can get your hands on and ferment the hell out of it using Eds simple approach.

mike

Follow us on Twitter
Like us on Facebook

Old 12-23-2006, 07:49 PM   #443
EdWort
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 255 Times on 136 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by orfy
9%
Yeah Baby!

Old 12-24-2006, 12:11 AM   #444
Kevin K

Recipes 

Not yet a week in and I already stole a sample. I have the willpower of an infant.

Boy, this stuff is going to freaking rock.

I can see us (me) going through a lot of this.

I simply can't get over how easy it is to make.

Thanks Ed.

Old 12-24-2006, 07:26 AM   #445
brewman !
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
After a few days, it tasted like sparkling apple juice with just the tiniest kick,
Another way to keep some sweetness and apple taste would be to stop it before its done fermenting with a little potassium sorbate. Mine is pretty strong and pretty dry. I should have split the batch into smaller batches and done some experimentation.

FWIW, I threw some bentonite into the fermentor and man did it get clean. It looks great.

Getting back into brewing...

Old 12-25-2006, 02:13 AM   #446
Sir Humpsalot

Recipes 

Liked 81 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Alright. 19 days in now. I just took a gravity reading and siphoned off an immature liter for sampling.

The activity in the airlock was down to one bubble every 40 seconds and the gravity reading was .996 (for a total present total of 8.65% ABV) so I'm guessing this is close to as dry as it's going to get. However, it's still very cloudy, as you'd expect.

My recipe was EdWort's original, with the addition of a half tsp of cinnamon and a teaspoon of vanilla to a 5 gallon batch. I think I can *almost* taste the vanilla and I'm not sure I'd want much more than I added, but the extra flavor is satisfying. Of course, I wonder what the original recipe is like... but I don't have that luxury (of course, that's why it's always smarter to start out with the basics... so you know how your additions alter the flavor).

Overall, the flavor is good. It's not as dry as I was expecting after having read everybody saying "dry dry dry". Yes, it's dry, but it's not like sucking on a bone in the middle of the Sahara. It's maybe a touch dryer than commercial ciders, but nothing too out of the ordinary.

The apple flavor is there, it's tangy like most alcoholic drinks, but it's definitely not going to make you pucker.

I can't wait till it clears and I can bottle and carbonate it.

Last edited by Sir Humpsalot; 12-25-2006 at 12:24 PM.

Old 12-25-2006, 05:25 AM   #447
digdan

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Once a year the local apple ranch has a giant truck that stops at pre determined areas and sells their apple cider by the gallon. Its amazly inexpensive, well balanced for apfelwein/cider, and fresh.

I took the liberty of buying 10 gallons. I pitched a white wine yeast, used campden and transfered every month for three months.

The final gravity, like much of you have exclaimed, was under 1.00 and the product was very tart and dry. I kegged it, carbonated it, and chilled it before I added 2 cans of Langers Apple Concentrate per 5 gallons and it paired perfectly. Just a subtle hint of sweetness to keep the edge off the tart bite. And Langers makes a good apple drink anywho, so I know the flavor would be spot-on.

So, I'm sure someone else has already posted this, but its worth re-iterating... Add apple juice concentrate if your apfelwein is too tart.

Final calculations was 8.4% and it never dropped bright.

Merry Xmas
DigDan

Old 12-26-2006, 03:23 PM   #448
Sir Humpsalot

Recipes 

Sorry, but I've got a little paranoia seeping in.

So once the cider clears itself, there will still be plenty of yeast in suspension to bottle carbonate, correct?

I'm looking at the amount of yeast at the bottom of the liter I siphoned and chilled and I'm wondering, "is there really gonna be enough yeast left to carb?"

I know the answer is Yes. I just need someone to confirm it. Thanks.

Old 12-28-2006, 01:01 AM   #449
Sir Humpsalot

Recipes 

I noticed today that my cider suddenly turned rather dark, just like the pictures from EdWort. And the bubbles are down to one every 2 minutes. I guess that means the fermentation is just about done and the yeast is starting to settle... I was surprised though by the darkening. One day it was rather light colored, the next day it was very noticeably darker.

On a side note, about that liter I siphoned off and chilled...

It actually did get quite a bit drier over the past few days!!! It is now about as dry as I had imagined it would be. Dry. I will keep it as is, carb with various means, and see how I like it. But yeah, it's drying out.

Old 12-28-2006, 02:30 AM   #450
EdWort

Recipes 

Liked 255 Times on 136 Posts
Likes Given: 7

It's actually getting clarifying. The yeast is beginning to flocculate and drop out.

Let it go at least 4 weeks, keg, force carb and enjoy!

Cheers,

EdWort

Haus Pale Ale, Bavarian Hefeweizen, Robust Porter, Oktoberfest Ale, Wounded Knee IPA, Rye IPA, BCB IPA, Kolsch, Apfelwein

Quick Reply