Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Man, I love Apfelwein

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2008, 07:37 PM   #4321
jonp9576
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

mine was in the carboy for over a month. the sg seemed to finish at 1010. i kegged it. should i wait a while, or just drink it. it tastes greak. its still pretty sweet.

is it possible that my fermentation was to coold. around 65 in my basement?

when i make y next one, i want to make it bigger. if i add another # of dextrose, should i add more yeast?

On Tap:warrior apa
On Tap: crystal light
On Tap:BM's centenial blonde
"Just remember that the real enemy here are those wine drinking pussies."-BierMuncher

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2008, 11:25 PM   #4322
beala
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

So, turns out my scale is broken. It said a 5lbs jar of honey was only 3lbs. It's the same scale I used to weigh the dextrose in my most recent batch of apfelwein... I have a feeling this batch is going to take a while to mellow....

Old 01-02-2009, 06:52 PM   #4323
chase

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewnurse View Post
First , let me say that this is one loooong thread! I think we will see 20 pages soon.
433 pages...

Has anyone actually read every page?

1º #1: RIS
1º #2: -
2º #1: Flanders Red (2009)
2º #2: Lambic (2009)
2º #3: Flanders Red (2010)
2º #4: Lambic (2010)
2º #5: Old Ale

Old 01-02-2009, 07:18 PM   #4324
1EightT
Recipes 

Made 5 gallons of this a few months back (probably 4 -5 months ago). After bottling and conditioning for a month or so I tasted it and it finishes with an unpleasant almost sulfurous taste. I did add some brown sugar to a basically unchanged recipe from the first page. Is this aftertaste something that should mellow and go away or did I perhaps f&@k things up with the brown sugar addition?

Old 01-03-2009, 12:08 AM   #4325
hungrymonkey
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I made it through 270 or so pages.

I do have some questions about from the people who have tried mixing in other juices. If those alterations turned out to taste any good? Specifically the people who used a gallon of cranberry with 4 gallons of apple.

Also, does the apfelwein clear quickly around a month? The batch I did on the 5th of last month is starting to layer, with the clear layers on the top. But I have a feeling I will be leaving it in the carboy for at least another week. Since my fermentation temp dropped to the mid 50's when the big cold snap happened. It was at that temp for about ten days.

Old 01-03-2009, 01:35 AM   #4326
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 461 Times on 367 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Just got back from delayed christmas with the family. Brought four bottles of my apfelwein and it was a HIT!

"Science + beer = good!"
-Adam Savage

Old 01-03-2009, 03:15 AM   #4327
Hegh
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hungrymonkey View Post
Also, does the apfelwein clear quickly around a month? The batch I did on the 5th of last month is starting to layer, with the clear layers on the top. But I have a feeling I will be leaving it in the carboy for at least another week. Since my fermentation temp dropped to the mid 50's when the big cold snap happened. It was at that temp for about ten days.
I'm in the same position (put it together on the 5th, waiting for it to clear). I figure mine's gonna take another week or two, but I'm thinking about cold-crashing it, maybe starting next weekend. Anyone know about how long it takes and whether that would help?

Primary: Summer RyePA
Tertiary: Strawberry Blond
On Tap: NB's Oatmeal Stout, Eagle Mills Hard Cider, Hefeweizen, Black Lager, Warsteiner Dunkel Clone

"Bravery is not a function of fire power." ~J.C. Denton

Old 01-03-2009, 04:08 AM   #4328
hungrymonkey
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hegh View Post
I'm in the same position (put it together on the 5th, waiting for it to clear). I figure mine's gonna take another week or two, but I'm thinking about cold-crashing it, maybe starting next weekend. Anyone know about how long it takes and whether that would help?
I have not taken a gravity yet. I figured I would wait it out until the full 30 days.

My only options for cold crashing, would be to put it outside. But the temps would vary

Old 01-03-2009, 04:52 AM   #4329
AZ_IPA
PKU
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6132 Times on 5342 Posts
Likes Given: 742

patience - it will clear in due time. May take 6 weeks, may take 8, may take 16....

but give it time. You don't want to rush this.

Old 01-05-2009, 12:02 AM   #4330
ArcaneXor
Recipes 

Liked 77 Times on 73 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I have been thinking about re-using my old, dusty Mr. Beer keg to make a 2-gallon batch of Apfelwein. I stuck close to the original recipe last time around, and wasn't too thrilled with the results (I did use a cider instead of juice, though).

I was thinking of using some old Koelsch yeast or maybe some California Ale yeast (or both - what the hell) that have been sitting in the back of the fridge and calling for my attention for a while to achieve somewhat lower attenuation and more esters vs. Montrachet, and maybe use a pound of orange blossom honey instead of dextrose to boost the ABV and get a hint of mead/cyser character going as well.

Does anyone have any experience along these lines?

Kegged: Fat Man Porter w/ 1469, Fat Man Porter w/ 005, Centennial Falcon w/ Conan, Centennial Falcon w/ Denny's, Barrel-aged Fat Man Porter, Belgian Dark Strong, Dark Mild

Quick Reply