Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Man, I love Apfelwein

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2006, 02:56 PM   #351
Fuggles
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimiGibbs
Well, I'm finally at 4 weeks. Followed Ed's recipe to the letter. Can't wait to bottle just having trouble finding the time with everything going on for the holidays.
I run into that problem almost every time I brew - it is all well and good that you have it fermenting, but then you basically have to clear another day to get the bottling done. "No honey I can't go to the birthday party with you and the kids because I have to bottle my hooch". Always goes over real well!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2006, 03:02 PM   #352
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 361 Times on 297 Posts
Likes Given: 95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuggles
I run into that problem almost every time I brew - it is all well and good that you have it fermenting, but then you basically have to clear another day to get the bottling done. "No honey I can't go to the birthday party with you and the kids because I have to bottle my hooch". Always goes over real well!
HA!

My wife is taking Cassie to one of her little friend's second birthday party this Saturday. She tells me about it, and says "Maybe you can do your brewing while we're gone."

EXCELLENT! I LOVE YOU, DEAR!

(she's great about this stuff anyway - she's covering for my nighttime duties tomorrow so I can get the altbier bottled).

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 12-14-2006, 03:19 PM   #353
Fuggles
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bird
HA!

My wife is taking Cassie to one of her little friend's second birthday party this Saturday. She tells me about it, and says "Maybe you can do your brewing while we're gone."

EXCELLENT! I LOVE YOU, DEAR!

(she's great about this stuff anyway - she's covering for my nighttime duties tomorrow so I can get the altbier bottled).
Sounds like you have it pretty good. All in all, I can't complain too much either - my wife is not an enthusiastic supporter of brewing but she will "disappear" to the mall or for wine with the girls on brew day. She was much cooler about it before the two kids. Some of my friend's wives though - wow look out! That is why we typically end up at my house for the brewing.

Old 12-14-2006, 06:26 PM   #354
brewman !
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 16

My wife is pretty good too. First, she likes drinking the stuff. I made a brown ale that she loved and she wants more of that. And I think she'll like the apfelwein too. And then there was the peach champagne... what a lot of fun that was !

I get her to help me bottle. Its something we do together. Yeah, its a menial task, but it gives us "together" time. We can "talk" while we work, or that is what I say. I turn her helping me bottle into I'm being a great husband. You have to know how to work it !

Doing wines is always fun because you have to do a lot of taste testing until you get the sweetness right.

I also do a lot of my work at night when everyone is asleep or busy. I like it when its quiet. Or really early on Sunday mornings.

Now if she ever gives me heck about brewing expenditures, I make a list of my favorite, most expensive micro brews and ask her to pick up a dozen of each. Or I ask her for her credit card so me and guys can go to the local bar or better yet, Hooters. Suddenly, me staying home and being around the house, playing with my beer stuff doesn't seem quite so bad.

Getting back into brewing...

Old 12-16-2006, 01:56 AM   #355
uglygoat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

huge thread! when you bottle it, do you prime like a beer? or just bottle like you would wine?

never argue with an idiot, they'll just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Old 12-16-2006, 10:08 AM   #356
Flyin' Lion

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by t1master
huge thread! when you bottle it, do you prime like a beer? or just bottle like you would wine?
I primed half of my bottles with carb tabs and did not prime the other half at all. The primed bottles are basically over-carbed.

Ed said he bottles without priming which sounds like the best way, you can always mix it with club soda or seven up to add carbonation.

As easy as this stuff is to make, you should try both ways and see which you would like best.

Cheers.

Old 12-16-2006, 01:50 PM   #357
Preliator
Recipes 

I was hoping I could ask a couple of questions. We started our Apfelwine a week ago and I think all is well, Keep in mind this is my first attempt to brew anything at all, figuring this was a great recipe to get my feet wet. With that I'll ask my questions.
1. In the primary, things look great, but I am noticing cycles (I'll call it) where there are mini foam build ups, not like the inital build up of foam that was approx 2 1/2" in height but more like 1/2-3/4 of an inch. It occurs maybe 1 every hour or so. during that time the bubbler increase slightly but not drastically maybe one or two bubbles more per minute... Is this normal?

2. I was curious about some bottles. I have gotten lucky, my local beer distributer needed some wire and such for his house. Being in the construction trade I come across all sorts of stuff and was able to get him everything he needed and more. In exchange he gave me 2 cases of Grolsch Green flippies and 2 cases of these other bottles. they are a 1 pint 9.4 oz. amber cork set bottle. they (the beer dist.) sells these belgium blonde ales. they have a champaigne style cork and wire closure. He also will be holding both of each for me for the future for no charge....he gets approx 2-3 cases per week of each. I wanted to bottle up some of the apfelwine in each of these for us and then some in regular crown cap bottles to give off as tasters to friends. my question would be are all 3 of these bottles good.....I know thhat the flippes are good but the cork set bottles is what i am concerned about. The owner of the LHBS here told me right off to consider champaigne bottles for this project but if i have these what is the differece? any help would be great....
sorry for the noob questions, but i want to make sure all is done correctly.
thanks again
anthony

secondaries- Kolsh & Cranberry/black raspberry melomel
bottled/kegged- Viking Thunder
On-Deck- Barv. Hefe & kiwi pear Sov/Blanc

Old 12-16-2006, 02:09 PM   #358
britishbloke
Recipes 

Well all I can say is #1 it does appear that the fermentation comes in waves.

Im making a batch right now (Not quite like the apfelwein). And it has a sulfur smell every other hour.

Its pretty stinky (im glad I dont have a wife) but the smell comes in waves and the bubbler goes faster every other hour too....

Primary: Welches Grape Juice
Secondary: Pail Ale (American)
Secondary: Chocolate Oatmeal Stout
Bottled: Ghetto Cider (Roundys)

Old 12-16-2006, 03:16 PM   #359
Fuggles
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Well mine has been underway for 8 days. The initial 3" foam head is down to about a 1/2" head. The airlock is belching about every 8-10 seconds. I used 2 lbs. brown sugar and English Ale Yeast so it is a little different than the original (which I will try next). I had absolutely zero sulphur smell at all throughout the 8 days.

Old 12-16-2006, 03:37 PM   #360
chillHayze

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuggles
Well mine has been underway for 8 days. The initial 3" foam head is down to about a 1/2" head. The airlock is belching about every 8-10 seconds. I used 2 lbs. brown sugar and English Ale Yeast so it is a little different than the original (which I will try next). I had absolutely zero sulphur smell at all throughout the 8 days.
I never noticed the sulfur smell (using S-04), either. Musy be a wine yeast thing. I dunno what mine looks like as it is in a bucket, but I pitched around the same time as you. Fuggles.

Quick Reply