Last days to enter the BrewHardware Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Man, I love Apfelwein

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2006, 10:58 PM   #331
Preliator
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

okay it thought i was only one i didnt see it in any of the posts about the ring....this is what it looked like when i got home
anthony

secondaries- Kolsh & Cranberry/black raspberry melomel
bottled/kegged- Viking Thunder
On-Deck- Barv. Hefe & kiwi pear Sov/Blanc

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2006, 04:52 AM   #332
tron
Recipes 

I was directed to this thread by my inquest on how to start making hard cider. My main concern is whether or the cider I can get from from my local farmer shop will work to make hard cider. I know that it is not hard cider and it is unpasturized. Does this make a difference in making hard cider?

Old 12-12-2006, 05:10 AM   #333
brewman !
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 17

OK, I'm curious.

What exactly is cider ? How does it differ from juice ?

Did the farmer happen to sulfite it strongly to preserve it ? (If so, it might not ferment...) What sort of gravity does it have ?

As far as pasteurization goes, you could boil it and cool it like wort prior to pitching it.

The Anderson book has directions for making wine from cider.
http://www.amazon.com/Winemaking-Rec...e=UTF8&s=books

Old 12-12-2006, 05:19 PM   #334
EdWort
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 287 Times on 145 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuggles
Is it possible that (for those of us using ale yeast) four weeks in the primary is too long? I may bottle after 3 weeks after hearing all of these no carb stories. Although I may order kegging equipment so it might not matter.
I kegged a 6 week batch and it was the 6 gallon Better Bottle pictured at the beginning of this thread. I put the extra gallon into a sanitized Apple Juice Bottle. It's still fermenting cause the bottle is swelling from the pressure buildup of CO2, so 4 weeks is still fine IMHO.

Old 12-12-2006, 05:35 PM   #335
EdWort
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 287 Times on 145 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petey
Does anyone who's cracked one open yet have any indicators of what the final product tastes like....As in a commercially available alternative i.e. Hornsby's?
It tastes just like this stuff.

But's it's hard to find outside of Central Germany.

Scrumpy Jack's comes close but my recipe is a bit more dry and higher in abv.

Old 12-12-2006, 11:30 PM   #336
ill.literate
Recipes 

Well... having wasted part of my afternoon reading this thread, and talking to SWMBO (and getting an enthusiastic MAKE IT!) we'll be taking the Apfelwein plunge soon.

Hmmm... since we're bottling this weekend (our first brew, a bock) and we'll have sterilizing solution and the corboy will be empty ...

Up next:

Old 12-13-2006, 02:07 PM   #337
oznozz
Recipes 

Default my cider project

A friend of mine solicited my advice and equipment after she found a few gallons of delicious, unpreserved apple cider.

I haven't had time to read the whole forum, so hopefully I'm not repeating too much...

Here's what we did :
4 gallons of cider had been sitting around for a few weeks and despite pasturization, appeared to have begun spontaneously fermenting. We kept the 3 gallons that smelled, tasted and looked good and threw out another 3 gallons.

Since the stuff was obviously fermenting, and one had failed already, we did a 15 minute boil to sanitize it and then force cooled it with an immersion chiller to about 65 deg F and poured it (aerated) onto about a half gallon yeast cake of Nottingham Ale Yeast that had been resting for 2 days after an all grain squash ale. I also added a dry packet of Munton's Ale Yeast to be really sure.

It started bubbling the airlock after only a few hours, albeit slowly.

=== Summary So Far ===

3 gallons Buckland Farm market pasturized apple cider (VA, USA)
Nottingham ale yeast cake + packet of Munton's Ale

After about a week, it had quit bubbling, and since I hate sanitizing bottles, I decided to go grab another 3 gallons of cider and make it a 6 gallon batch to make bottling really worth it.

I ended up with the following after buying out every grocery store I tried :

1 gallon 365 Galverstein Apple Cider (Whole Foods)
.5 gallon Murphy's Apple Juice (really a cider, from Roanoke VA)
1.5 gallons pasturized cider from Carter's mountain orchard (VA)

Cider prices here are at least $6/gallon for some reason.

I boiled the above ciders with

2 lbs of honey
1 lb brown sugar
.5 lb white sugar

force cooled it to about 65 F and poured it on the first 3 gallons.

Much to my surprise, bubbles began to rapidly rise from the airlock within about 5 minutes and about 2 hours later it had blown the airlock off, so I installed a blowoff tube. It bubbled through the blowoff tube for about 5 days at between 55 F and 65 F (my attic room is cold!).

The whole batch has been in the fermenter for about 10 days now and it still bubbles occasionally. I kind of wonder if I've killed most of the yeast with alchohol. I plan to prime the bottles whenever I bottle it, so I'll report back about what happens. The batch smells great, so I have high hopes.

Apparently, honey and sugar aren't uncommon in use. Also, hard cider used to be an all-American fermented beverage. From what I've read it's incredibly important to properly blend apple varieties in the cider or else the taste isn't ideal, which is why I didn't mind blending together all the various ciders available to me.

I read somewhere that in the USA "apple juice" means the apples are filtered and/or otherwise processed beyond simple pressing. "Apple cider" means pressed but basically un-processed apple juice. "hard cider" means apple cider that's been fermented to less than 8% ABV. "apple wine" means apple cider that's been fermented to between 8% and 14% ABV. I also saw a site with a whole slew of defined categories of cider that are officially recognized "styles" for cider competitions.

Here's some readings/resources (thanks Google):
a guy with his own orchard! http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homep...a/frameset.htm
yeast selection - http://mars.ark.com/~squeeze/yest-cdn.html
http://hbd.org/brewery/library/CidYeast091595.html
history - http://mason.gmu.edu/~drwillia/cider.html
http://www.sallys-place.com/beverage...hard_cider.htm
suitable apples - http://mtvernon.wsu.edu/frt_hort/ciderapples.htm

Hard Cider
SaazSquash
Saisson
Spiced Strong Ale "D9"

Fermenting :
Son of Saisson

Old 12-13-2006, 02:13 PM   #338
oznozz
Recipes 

Default RE: cider shelf life

Numerous sites that I have read suggest that "real" cider should ferment for months and age for longer, so some people believe it's a good idea to age it for a long time. One site specifically said that you should start drinking last year's batch a year later, preferably while you are working on the next batch. I've got no practical experience with it (yet).

Hard Cider
SaazSquash
Saisson
Spiced Strong Ale "D9"

Fermenting :
Son of Saisson

Old 12-13-2006, 02:32 PM   #339
Desert_Sky

Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 2

ok, elephant farts are gone, and its starting to smell sweet again. Man that was a stinky 3 days. Bubbling has really slowed down, so Hopefully it will start clearing soon.

Old 12-13-2006, 02:41 PM   #340
oznozz
Recipes 

Default RE : pitching on a yeast cake from an ale batch

I opted to pitch onto a yeast cake because I had read over and over that apple cider doesn't have proper amounts of lipids and minerals and other nutrients nessesary for yeast reproduction and I wanted it to go fast because I don't have enough fermentors to sacrifice one to a multi-month fermentation, as the things I read suggested would happen. Additionally, my yeast cake was from a lightly spiced squash ale (supposed to be pumpkin ale for my girlfriend, but there wasn't any pumpkin to be had and a former chef told me that squash is often substituted for pumpkin in kitchens), so I figured it would work well. It certainly doesn't smell bad, although I thought it smelled fairly intensely of beer for the first couple days. That has subsided into a rich cinnamon/baked-apple/fresh-sour-apple aroma with some spicy undertones. There aren't any homebrew shops around here for 40 miles, so I have to be creative about my brewing sometimes.

Hard Cider
SaazSquash
Saisson
Spiced Strong Ale "D9"

Fermenting :
Son of Saisson

Quick Reply