Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Man, I love Apfelwein

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2006, 11:18 PM   #321
Preliator
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Also just one question more if I may. I wanted to use regular crimp cap style bottles like for beer but the gent in my LHBS said that i should consider using champaigne bottles and corks if i planned to prime....could anyone else elaborate on that.
I would like to use regular bottles...thanks
anthony

secondaries- Kolsh & Cranberry/black raspberry melomel
bottled/kegged- Viking Thunder
On-Deck- Barv. Hefe & kiwi pear Sov/Blanc

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2006, 12:10 AM   #322
Fuggles
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preliator
Also just one question more if I may. I wanted to use regular crimp cap style bottles like for beer but the gent in my LHBS said that i should consider using champaigne bottles and corks if i planned to prime....could anyone else elaborate on that.
I would like to use regular bottles...thanks
anthony
You're good with the regular bottles - just be careful not to use too much priming sugar - else you'll have gushers that may blow the cap straight off of the bottle. In light of the fact that this is your first foray - get it done right!! If you have gushers going off in the middle of the night - the wife may abort your brewing career. Cheers!

Old 12-11-2006, 12:35 AM   #323
brewman !
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Chimone: what yeast did you pitch with and how far along is your ferementation ?

The sulfur is probably caused by dead yeast accumulations. Can you see any in the bottom of the ferementor ? If it were mine and I saw some, I'd rack it to a secondary.

Wines can be ruined by sulfurous gasses. I wouldn't chance my apfelwein, but maybe I am too picky.

I'm on day 5 and my airlock smells yummy.

Old 12-11-2006, 12:49 AM   #324
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 360 Times on 297 Posts
Likes Given: 95

Just cracked my second bottle (probably been four weeks since I bottled), and this is much improved. I'm still doing it EdWort's way next time (bought the right yeast and some extra corn sugar this weekend), but this is pretty tasty. Still hasn't carbed very much, and I used a bit more corn sugar when I primed than I usually would have with beer. I can feel a little bit of carbonation, but there are no visible bubbles. Grr, guess I need to start kegging!

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 12-11-2006, 01:18 AM   #325
Desert_Sky

Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewman !
Chimone: what yeast did you pitch with and how far along is your ferementation ?

The sulfur is probably caused by dead yeast accumulations. Can you see any in the bottom of the ferementor ? If it were mine and I saw some, I'd rack it to a secondary.

Wines can be ruined by sulfurous gasses. I wouldn't chance my apfelwein, but maybe I am too picky.

Well from what I read, everyone that used Montrachet yeast experienced the sulfur smell for a couple days. I'm on day 4 , fermenting at 68*. Kind of funny, but I brewed a hefe using Wyeast 3333 that had the same sulfur smell for 2 days before it cleaned back up. Characteristic of that yeast too. I'm not seeing any yeast on the bottom, its just pretty cloudy atm.

Old 12-11-2006, 01:52 AM   #326
mew
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts

Mine's been in the bottle for two weeks and there is almost no carbonation. Why?

Keg 2: Empty

Old 12-11-2006, 11:01 AM   #327
Fuggles
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Is it possible that (for those of us using ale yeast) four weeks in the primary is too long? I may bottle after 3 weeks after hearing all of these no carb stories. Although I may order kegging equipment so it might not matter.

Old 12-11-2006, 03:01 PM   #328
BrewStef

Recipes 

Default Awesome recipe, awesome results

EdWort,

Awesome recipe, awesome Apfelwein. I bottled last night and had my first drink and it blew me away. Very smooth, crisp but not too dry, slightly effervescent.

I was suprised how compact how little and how compact the lees were. The Apfelwein was perfectly clear. I had it in primary for around 5 1/2 weeks and bottled it right out of the primary. There were still small bubbles coming up from the lees, but not very many (fermented between 65 and 75). I am sure this will result in only mild (if any) carbonation...but I do not think it is going to last very long in the bottles.

Thanks again, EdWort, for this simple, inexpensive, tasty recipe. This one is going to be a regular for me.

Prost!

BrewStef

Primary: Nothing
Secondary: Nothing
Bottled and Drinking: Maibock, EdWort's Apfelwein, Traditional MeadUp Next: Cherry Melomel

Old 12-11-2006, 09:17 PM   #329
Preliator
Recipes 

Default i love my apfelwine

okay got home today and was wondering all day if things were going to be cooking in the carboy....well to my pleasant suprise they were.....i have this nice ring (i think its nice....you'll let me know if it isn't i am sure) and the air lock is throwing 1 bubble per minute give or take....the process has begun......a few more weeks and we'll be enjoying this batch....
thanks
anthony

secondaries- Kolsh & Cranberry/black raspberry melomel
bottled/kegged- Viking Thunder
On-Deck- Barv. Hefe & kiwi pear Sov/Blanc

Last edited by Preliator; 12-11-2006 at 09:49 PM. Reason: pic to big

Old 12-11-2006, 09:26 PM   #330
Petey
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Put my first shot at this stuff together this weekend too. So far so good on the sulpher smell, I'd say it probably took about 20 hours before i got any good Airlock activity at around 68 degrees. And about that ring....I was pretty worried myself but everything looks good now.

Does anyone who's cracked one open yet have any indicators of what the final product tastes like....As in a commercially available alternative i.e. Hornsby's?

Secondary# 1:
Secondary # 2:

On Tap:
Robust Porter
White IPA
Dry Irish Stout

Kegged & Waiting:

Quick Reply