Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Man, I love Apfelwein

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2006, 09:34 PM   #301
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 367 Times on 303 Posts
Likes Given: 97

$1.39 for 100% natural apple juice half-gallons. But, I think that may be part of why I was a little underwhelmed; I can really taste a difference between the store-brand stuff and the "good" natural apple juice we buy when it's on sale. So, next time I won't be quite so cheap.

I'll do up another batch this weekend, just need to pick up some corn sugar.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2006, 09:44 PM   #302
Fuggles
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

How long has Christianity been around? - I think this thread is made out of the same stuff. I started mine today. Lucky me - the local Publix had 2 qt. Mott's All Natural at buy one get one free.

I took about 3/4 of one of the 2 qt. bottle of juice and dissolved 2 pounds of Dixie Crystals light brown sugar then brought it to a boil. After letting it cool a bit I funneled it into the big 6 1/2 gallon carboy. Then I poured the rest of the juice in over the top of it and pitched. It turned out that I had a vial of White Labs English Ale yeast on hand. I had no "Texas" vodka on hand so I had to use the high-end Zyr Russian vodka. It was only a half shot.... Easiest thing I've ever brewed. Can't wait to see how this turns out. The wife is surprisingly excited about this one. Cheers to you Ed for sharing this with us!

Last edited by Fuggles; 12-08-2006 at 09:49 PM.

Old 12-08-2006, 11:09 PM   #303
brewman !
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 16

If you guys think apfelwein is expensive to brew, even using the higher priced apple juice, you should price out wine kits sometime. The kits with 23L of juice can be $80 or more.

My fermentation has slowed, but then I moved the carboy (primary fermentor) to a colder room. Most of the foam has cleared. It was pretty vigorous for the first few days. Today is day 4. No sulfur smells.

Last edited by brewman !; 12-08-2006 at 11:11 PM.

Old 12-09-2006, 05:05 AM   #304
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 607 Times on 376 Posts
Likes Given: 54

I'm well into week two with mine, and the gravity has dropped to 1.030. It's still chugging along - nice and cloudy with yeast. I tasted the sample, and it was GOOD! I can't wait to keg this stuff! Only a few more weeks...

Old 12-09-2006, 11:15 AM   #305
Fuggles
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Has anyone had any success with using the Mott's Natural apple juice. I thought about it after I started mine yesterday....."Natural" juice is also naturally cloudy. I am wondering if it will clear after fermentation. We'll see. I pitched the White Labs English Ale yeast yesterday at 4:30 - no action as of 7:15 this morning.

Old 12-09-2006, 02:30 PM   #306
RoaringBrewer

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toot
Won't that give you an ABV of around 7.6% or so if it ferments to 1.010 or so?
This stuff should easily ferment down past 1.010. Mine started with an OG of 1.065 and I used Nottingham Ale Yeast. FG was 0.095.

Yeah that's 9% ABV (roughly)...

Old 12-09-2006, 11:18 PM   #307
brewman !
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
"Natural" juice is also naturally cloudy. I am wondering if it will clear after fermentation. We'll see.
I've made a number of fruit wines and it it isn't hard to get things clear. Add some pectic enzyme if you think it will have a pectin problem. Then fine it with bentonite and you could filter it too. The cloudiness will be gone.

Old 12-09-2006, 11:37 PM   #308
Sir Humpsalot

Recipes 

Liked 81 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkkyBrew
This stuff should easily ferment down past 1.010. Mine started with an OG of 1.065 and I used Nottingham Ale Yeast. FG was 0.095.

Yeah that's 9% ABV (roughly)...

Yeah yeah. I know. My brain wasn't engaged when I posted that and I was thinking that the yeast would be killed off by the high alcohol before it got down below 1.000. It's not that high though. My sleepy mistake.

Old 12-09-2006, 11:44 PM   #309
chillHayze

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I'm underway! Pitched a packet of SafAle s-04 into 4 gallons of 1.069 must. I used:
3 gal apple juice (pasteurized - no asorbic acid)
1 gal water
1 lb brown sugar
2 lb dextrose

Boiled the sugars in the water for 20 min. Chilled it outside on a big block of ice I have for such purposes, mixed the juice and pitched yeast and nutrient at 59 deg. This stuff is crystal clear and tastes like sweet apple juice - who would have thought??
I attached a blowoff tube but probably wont need it with the 6.5 gal bucket. Thanks Ed and everybody for the info!

Old 12-10-2006, 11:25 AM   #310
EdWort

Recipes 

Liked 260 Times on 137 Posts
Likes Given: 7

This should be an intersting batch with that combination of ingredients. Let us know how it turns out. You are gonna want to wait at least 6 weeks before casting judgement on it though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillHayze
I'm underway! Pitched a packet of SafAle s-04 into 4 gallons of 1.069 must. I used:
3 gal apple juice (pasteurized - no asorbic acid)
1 gal water
1 lb brown sugar
2 lb dextrose

Boiled the sugars in the water for 20 min. Chilled it outside on a big block of ice I have for such purposes, mixed the juice and pitched yeast and nutrient at 59 deg. This stuff is crystal clear and tastes like sweet apple juice - who would have thought??
I attached a blowoff tube but probably wont need it with the 6.5 gal bucket. Thanks Ed and everybody for the info!

Cheers,

EdWort

Haus Pale Ale, Bavarian Hefeweizen, Robust Porter, Oktoberfest Ale, Wounded Knee IPA, Rye IPA, BCB IPA, Kolsch, Apfelwein

Quick Reply