Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Man, I love Apfelwein

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-21-2007, 05:38 PM   #2471
claphamsa
Professional Jezter PWNZR
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlenkerla
I've been thinking of making a batch with sweet mead yeast.

See the link on this page for Wyeast 4184 Sweetmead (Near the bottom)

http://www.wyeastlab.com/he_c_styledetails.cfm?ID=209
I used white labs mead yeast and its going great!!!! but Check back in a month and ill let you know more

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2007, 05:39 PM   #2472
claphamsa
Professional Jezter PWNZR

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 24 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadicalEd
Hey Edwort, just wanted to say thanks for the recipe! I served some up to my local brewer's guild last Friday (the monthly theme was cider, so I had to bring some) and it was very well received!

how would you find one of these?

Old 12-22-2007, 03:30 AM   #2473
RadicalEd
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I'd probably do a google search that included your area and the terms "homebrew" and "club".

Really, that's all it is, a big homebrewer's club, but we have a lot of guys who do it semi-professionally. I know one member started up a meadery, for instance (to compete with all of the other two in the nation ). We also have 2 BJCP recognized judges, at least one in training, and 2 people on the AHA governing council, iirc.

Here's the website, in case you're curious (I know you're not from Michigan, but I gotta throw it out there): http://aabg.org/

I learned a lot just by going over the monthly newsletters, which each detail the month's style.

Old 12-22-2007, 08:20 PM   #2474
joejaz

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Started 5 gallon batch on Dec 1, still see tiny bubbles coming to top of carboy. Figure to bottle it at end of month, if bubbles still rising to top should I wait or is this normal. Also see about an inch of sediment on bottom of carboy, is this normal, looks like the sugar settled to bottom. also how much splenda would you suggest adding before bottling, don't want it too dry. Thanks, Merry Xmas!

Joe

"Life is too short to drink cheap beer."

Old 12-23-2007, 12:32 AM   #2475
j-bizzle
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeus
j-bizzle, my guess is you're going to need that blowoff tube I used montrachet and the krausen still hit the airlock. I'm interested to know how that will turn out, keep us posted.
You were 100% right about the hefe yeast The night I mixed it up, I popped it back open to take an OG because i forgot the first time. After, I drank the sample like I usually do and I swore I could taste a slight bubbliness/carbonation to it. I took that as an omen that I should just go ahead and rig up the blowoff tube. The next morning I woke up to a blowoff tube full of krausen. It's still bubbling today and letting off this wonderful fruity/banana aroma. I hope that stays around for the finished product. I can't wait.

EDIT: Also, I just realized the hefe yeast will make it cloudy. I have some sparkloid clearing agent around that I'm considering using on it once I rack to secondary. Can anyone advise me on this? If I don't, will it taste weird because it was aged with large amounts of yeast floating in it?

Old 12-24-2007, 02:27 PM   #2476
ShortSnoutBrewing
Kwanesum Chinook Illahee

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts

Little hint to those that haven't done this yet...First, don't get distracted while pouring in the AJ. Second, done see how far you can push the envelope and fill the thing to about 1.5" from the opening of the carboy and expect to use an airlock.

I of course did both. Took almost 48 hours, but darn thing was so active it filled the airlock so I had to put a blow off on. Can't wait to taste though.

Old 12-25-2007, 01:35 AM   #2477
skou
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I could be wrong, but it is the wheat in hefes that makes them cloudy, not the yeast. At least, that is the way I remember it.

Now, with my cloudy apple juice, I'm pretty sure that won't settle out. Oh well, it will still taste good! That Simply Apple, (made by the people that do Simply Orange) is about the best tasting apple juice I've tasted. Customers are still asking if I'm getting in any more. (I hope so!)

steve

Old 12-25-2007, 05:58 PM   #2478
believeinsteve
Recipes 

so I've made a couple of batches now, and always share ideas/recipes etc. with the brewer at the local pub and now he says he wants to make this stuff and put it on tap. Im a little worried about it, but its not my money/job on the line. But he will only let it sit in a fermenter for 30 days, not one day more. And he wants to level the abv down (a la what it would be like without the added corn sugar). Any suggestions/ ideas about filling a 500 gallon tank with this stuff, so i can pass it on.

Old 12-26-2007, 03:49 PM   #2479
Bourdon
Recipes 

I started a batch verbatim to Ed's on 12/1/07 and it's still fermenting. I wanted to try this stuff so bad that I pulled a pint of it for a hydrometer test/sample. At three weeks it has a strong sulfur smell to it with a hydro reading of 1.010. I guess I will have to wait for another week before kegging. How long should I let it age in the keg before trying again? I don't want to have it smelling like sulfur when my friends try it.

Primary: 2x Hard Blueberry Honey Apple Cider
Secondary: Blueberry Wheat Lite Beer
Kegged: Bavarian heavy-veisse

Old 12-26-2007, 09:49 PM   #2480
Clifton
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 14

A few things I've noticed......

My first batch of AW was super sour. I used Kroger brand AJ concentrate. It had calcium lactate in it (didn't inhibit fermentation but contributed a horribly tart flavor). I still have a half dozen 750ml bottles left and they are improving with time.

My second batch was started 12/7/07 with Great Value concentrate, two pounds light brown sugar, and Montrachet. The concentrate had ascorbic acid (vitamin C). I checked my gravity a few days ago and it was at 1.000 and tasted great. Dry not sour. Much improved over my first batch.

A couple of questions which haven't been answered (I know because I read the entire thread...it only took me three weeks)....

Edwort......did you tap that "yeast cake" keg? Just curious how it turned out.

Has anyone ventured into the ApfelBier realm? Here's my thoughts

3gal water
3lbs DME
.5oz Cascade hop pellets
Boil for 1 hour.
Cool
add 5gal worth of AJ concentrate and top up to five gal with preboiled water.
Pitch Nottingham or some other Ale yeast and ferment at room temp.

Whaddya think?

Quick Reply