New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Man, I love Apfelwein

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2006, 03:50 AM   #221
Biermann
Reinvented Biermann
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Hmm. . . my apfelwein looks like complete crap right now. . . SWMBO is having doubts, especially after the smell. It has turned a dirty white color.

I told her its just fermenting.

She needs to stay out of the fermenting room.

--------------------------------------------------------
On Draft: Old, Stale, Oxidized beer

Holding tanks:Sold
Conical #1:Sold
Bottles: Nichts
On Deck:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2006, 04:17 AM   #222
rdwj

Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdWort
Yeah baby, that's the way to go. Do it right, the second time!
Ya, never mess with a recipe the first time. You need to know what it is before you can improve it ...that is, IF you can improve it

Old 12-03-2006, 04:27 AM   #223
RoaringBrewer

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Update on mine, brewed 11/15. No active fermentation signs for about 5-7 days (it seems to have fermented quickly in less than 10-12 days?), so today I finally checked the gravity. Looks like I'm at 0.099 FG. My SG was 1.067, so I'm guessing this *is* done fermenting. Smells apply, but I didn't taste b/c it was still a bit cloudy. Could definitely smell the apple in it though. We'll see what happens.

Now just one question. I've had this in a plastic bucket fermenting for the last 17-18 days. I don't have a 3 gallon glass carboy. Will it hurt to leave this in plastic for the entire 4 weeks or should I find some gallon glass jugs somewhere (buy some stuff at the grocery store/farmers market?) and get this out of plastic? My LHBS is only open Wed. and Sat. and I haven't had a chance to get a 3 gallon carboy (and won't be able to until next saturday at best).

Old 12-03-2006, 05:49 AM   #224
Brewsmith

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 21 Posts

Well Ed, I bought the apple juice to start my first cider. I just need to pick up the yeast and any other stuff that should go in there. Work is sending me up to Northen CA for the week, so I'll have to start it next weekend. Can't wait!

Fermenting:#160 Apollo/Calypso Pale Ale
Kegged:#153 Old Helicon Barleywine 2013, #157 Irish Red, #158 Mosaic IPA, #159 Bravo/Delta ESB
Up Next:Brown Porter, American Stout, Imperial Stout
My Recipes
Tuba Sonata

Smith & Co. Custom Tap Handles

Old 12-03-2006, 05:59 AM   #225
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 577 Times on 359 Posts
Likes Given: 52

Mine had an OG of 1.073 (Maker's Mark juice from Sam's + 2 lbs corn sugar). It's fermenting quite steadily at a little over 60 degrees right now. Can't wait to try it!

Old 12-03-2006, 02:44 PM   #226
EdWort

Recipes 

Liked 242 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri_Rage
Mine had an OG of 1.073 (Maker's Mark juice from Sam's + 2 lbs corn sugar). It's fermenting quite steadily at a little over 60 degrees right now. Can't wait to try it!
You are right on target for 8.5% Apfelwein. Whoo Hoo

Cheers,

EdWort

Haus Pale Ale, Bavarian Hefeweizen, Robust Porter, Oktoberfest Ale, Wounded Knee IPA, Rye IPA, BCB IPA, Kolsch, Apfelwein

Old 12-03-2006, 02:48 PM   #227
EdWort

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewsmith
Well Ed, I bought the apple juice to start my first cider. I just need to pick up the yeast and any other stuff that should go in there. Work is sending me up to Northen CA for the week, so I'll have to start it next weekend. Can't wait!
Yeah, patience is required for this stuff. I'm happy to know while I'm here in Munich drinking awsome beer, my Apfelwein at home is getting better and better. I wanted to start another batch before I left, but getting a batch kegged and racking my first Cabernet Sauvignon was enough work before the rush to the airport.

When I get home I have to start a batch of Neuewein or Federweisser for my mother in law.

That's a whole new thread I'll start when I do it and expose ya'll to another German tradition from the wine growing region of Bergsgtrasse and the Pfalz. The folks start drinking wine right after harvest. About 10 days after the yeast has been pitched. Very good stuff!

Federweisser!

Cheers,

EdWort

Haus Pale Ale, Bavarian Hefeweizen, Robust Porter, Oktoberfest Ale, Wounded Knee IPA, Rye IPA, BCB IPA, Kolsch, Apfelwein

Old 12-03-2006, 02:51 PM   #228
EdWort

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biermann
Hmm. . . my apfelwein looks like complete crap right now. . . SWMBO is having doubts, especially after the smell. It has turned a dirty white color.

I told her its just fermenting.

She needs to stay out of the fermenting room.
Wegen deinen Frau, Das Stimts!

Mann braucht eingfach geduld. Oder?

Cheers,

EdWort

Old 12-03-2006, 02:53 PM   #229
EdWort

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewsmith
Cool! Stick with the recipe and you should be a happy camper (if you like a dry, crisp cider that will kick you in the butt).

Cheers,

EdWort

Old 12-03-2006, 02:56 PM   #230
EdWort

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkkyBrew
Update on mine, brewed 11/15. No active fermentation signs for about 5-7 days (it seems to have fermented quickly in less than 10-12 days?), so today I finally checked the gravity. Looks like I'm at 0.099 FG. My SG was 1.067, so I'm guessing this *is* done fermenting. Smells apply, but I didn't taste b/c it was still a bit cloudy. Could definitely smell the apple in it though. We'll see what happens.

Now just one question. I've had this in a plastic bucket fermenting for the last 17-18 days. I don't have a 3 gallon glass carboy. Will it hurt to leave this in plastic for the entire 4 weeks or should I find some gallon glass jugs somewhere (buy some stuff at the grocery store/farmers market?) and get this out of plastic? My LHBS is only open Wed. and Sat. and I haven't had a chance to get a 3 gallon carboy (and won't be able to until next saturday at best).
Plastic should be fine. It may look like no active fermentation, but believe me there is stuff going on. In a carboy you would see tiny bubbles rising on the edges. I kegged a 6 gallon carboy before I left for Germany and the extra gallon I put in an Apple juice bottle. I have to vent it once a week.

Stuff is going on.

Cheers,

EdWort

Behemoth Likes This 

Quick Reply