New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Man, I love Apfelwein

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2007, 11:07 PM   #1921
EdWort
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 242 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxerDog
Ed I have to admit that I didnt really like AW at first, but the aged stuff atleast for me was in a different class. Very smooth and unwine like. I am going to save a bottle and open it at the year mark to see how it will be.
Yeah, it's an aquired taste if you drink it young, but after a few months, it really comes into it's own. Just take heed of the warnings in my first post.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2007, 04:05 AM   #1922
AGBrewer

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 1 Posts

I had some apfelwein sitting in the fridge as well as in the spare bedroom. The stuff in the bedroom developed a nasty taste and the stuff in the fridge still tastes excellent any ideas as to what happened?

Old 08-13-2007, 12:00 PM   #1923
EdWort

Recipes 

Liked 242 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewAGBrewer
I had some apfelwein sitting in the fridge as well as in the spare bedroom. The stuff in the bedroom developed a nasty taste and the stuff in the fridge still tastes excellent any ideas as to what happened?
In what did you store it? What was the temp in the bedroom? What recipe did you use?

I leave mine in carboys for 1 to 3 months then keg. All my kegs are kept at 39 degrees till it's time to put them in the kegerator.

Old 08-14-2007, 02:02 AM   #1924
davidr2340
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Well, yesterday I made my second batch of Apfelwein... this time I used dark brown sugar instead!!!
Man, it's damn dark!!!

Primary: Empty
Kegged: Hazelnut Brown Ale / Tipple Twister Barleywine

Old 08-14-2007, 02:57 AM   #1925
ArroganceFan
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quick question. After syphoning a batch to the keg, would the yeast on the bottom of the fermenter still be viable enough to pour the next batch directly onto it and not pitch anymore yeast? I think I have heard you can do this with beer, but is it possible with the apfelwein?

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Primary: Fat Tire clone
Secondary: Summit IPA
On Tap: Edwort's Apfelwein
Up Next: Blue Moon clone, Muddy Waters Ale
Coming Soon: Geforce Shugga

Old 08-14-2007, 05:45 AM   #1926
DeadDoc
Recipes 

grrr wow on page 30 of 193 so dont smack me if these question have already been answered ......... this sounds like a very lovely drink.

I don't have a kegging system yet so only bottling.
Just purchased 2 - 5gal BB carboys for this

1.) Bottling? Just use 3/4 priming sugar and boil in water and let it sit for a week or 2? Or maybe prime it with sugar and some Apple Juice instead of water?

2.) Cinnamon Stick? Anyone tried putting a stick or 2 into the fermenter? Or maybe doing like a slow cook of some of the AJ with a stick or two and chill and add to the batch. Or maybe do it doing the bottling stage as a late addition (but me as a cooking person I hate late addition to spices and stuff. I love things to absorb the flavors)

3.) Rehydrate? Only dealt with liquid and its 1:30am sooo...... do you use the apple juice to do it with?

4.) For just a small extra kick add an extra half to full pound of M-D?

BTW I am still newish to brewing. Planning to make this mid/late Thursday if I'm not working and after I get the M-D for my brew shop.... closest one I know is about 25-30 min away!

Last edited by DeadDoc; 08-14-2007 at 10:51 PM.

Old 08-14-2007, 02:49 PM   #1927
Mr_Moe
Recipes 

Default I Need HELP

To start off, I followed the recipie to the "T" used motts 100% pure squeezed apple juice only pasturized. It's the dark cloudy stuff that looks like apple cider. And Montrachet yeast with 2 lbs of dextrose.

A few days ago sampled the AW after it was sitting in the carboy for 3.5 weeks at 60 degrees. It was very bubbly in the glass and in the carboy at the time, watery and didnt taste very well.

So I put the bubbler back on and now there are no more bubbles comming up in the AW, and the bubbler stopped. Is everything okay with it? Should i let it sit? What should I do?

I didnt take a before reading, however the after reading was just below 1.000, it my first time using a hydro meter and the temp was at 68. It actually fremented at 68 the entire time and the bubbles always went like mad for the first 2 weeks.

Should I move it to a warmer room?
Should I add more sugar?
Should I stir it up?

This is my first time brewing anything.
Any help would be appreciated since I hope to learn form this and make my first homebrew very shortly.

Thanks!

Old 08-14-2007, 04:18 PM   #1928
jdoiv

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArroganceFan
Quick question. After syphoning a batch to the keg, would the yeast on the bottom of the fermenter still be viable enough to pour the next batch directly onto it and not pitch anymore yeast? I think I have heard you can do this with beer, but is it possible with the apfelwein?
I did three batches this way. Only used one packet of yeast. Everything worked out fine.
Fermenting:
Planning:

Old 08-14-2007, 04:34 PM   #1929
ArroganceFan
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdoiv
I did three batches this way. Only used one packet of yeast. Everything worked out fine.
Any taste change, off flavors?

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Primary: Fat Tire clone
Secondary: Summit IPA
On Tap: Edwort's Apfelwein
Up Next: Blue Moon clone, Muddy Waters Ale
Coming Soon: Geforce Shugga

Old 08-15-2007, 02:31 AM   #1930
Beerrific

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 9