The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Man, I love Apfelwein

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-25-2007, 12:00 PM   #1341
EdWort
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 251 Times on 135 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paperface
I'd bet money that your carboy isnt exactly level. The bubbles go straight up, so if the carboy is tilted even slighty, they would come up on one side.
I've had three carboys going at one time, and all of them have bubbles going up the sides 360 degrees, not just one side.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2007, 01:10 PM   #1342
FatMonsters
Recipes 

I've got the bubbles forming up the one side of the carboy. The airlock activity is going strong. My carboy probably is not quite level, but I'm not too worried about it.

Old 04-27-2007, 12:04 AM   #1343
uwmgdman

Recipes 

Only out laziness I thought of this. Ed, would you consider making a Apfelwein FAQ? I have a few questions like how dry does this typically ferment? I'm not into wine too much, I enjoy them somewhat dry, but 1/2 the reds I try are too dry. I have no idea how 0.999 tastes. I'm sure there are a bunch of other questions that people might have, and like me are way too lazy to read through all 100+ pages of the thread. Since you're the one typically answering the questions, you'd probably know the questions that get asked the most!

Just a thought.......and if you could give any insight to my specific question above I'd apperciate it!

Thanks!

Drinking: 2013 Maker's Mark Bourbon Barrel Stout, Imperial IPA, Founder's Breakfast Stout Clone

Old 04-27-2007, 12:29 AM   #1344
Hopleaf

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Ok, I know RDWHAHB but I started my Apfelwein last evening. The only thing I did different was I added yeast nutrient.

Today it's not bubbling and has formed this white foam on the top. I was under the impression this didn't form any foam or krausen. I assume everything is OK?

Here are some pictures:

Thanks

* Kolsch
* Apfelwein batch #lots

Old 04-27-2007, 12:31 AM   #1345
uglygoat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

mine looked just like that too hopleaf.. .then it got a wee bit cloudy, then it cleared up.

now it's in the bottles, crystal clear and like rocket fuel in terms of kicking my arse and head in when i drink more than 22oz in a sitting.... gah!!!

never argue with an idiot, they'll just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Old 04-27-2007, 12:42 AM   #1346
Hopleaf

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by uglygoat
mine looked just like that too hopleaf.. .then it got a wee bit cloudy, then it cleared up.

now it's in the bottles, crystal clear and like rocket fuel in terms of kicking my arse and head in when i drink more than 22oz in a sitting.... gah!!!
Sweet, I figured as much but glad to hear it Thanks

* Kolsch
* Apfelwein batch #lots

Old 04-27-2007, 01:46 AM   #1347
blefferd
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

mine has a head to it, i filled the better bottle all about half way up the neck thinkin it would be ok and it bubbled up threw the airlock and was spurting out the top, now its calmed down a bit but there is still a thick foam in the head space of the neck, im sure its due to the small space and all the bubbles coming up

Beer and Kalashnikov since 2007

Old 04-27-2007, 02:23 AM   #1348
EdWort

Recipes 

[quote=uwmgdman]Only out laziness I thought of this. Ed, would you consider making a Apfelwein FAQ? I have a few questions like how dry does this typically ferment? I'm not into wine too much, I enjoy them somewhat dry, but 1/2 the reds I try are too dry. I have no idea how 0.999 tastes. I'm sure there are a bunch of other questions that people might have, and like me are way too lazy to read through all 100+ pages of the thread. Since you're the one typically answering the questions, you'd probably know the questions that get asked the most!

Just a thought.......and if you could give any insight to my specific question above I'd apperciate it!/quote]

Not a bad idea. I'll have to takle it next week. I'm busy this weekend at the Texas Eggfest cooking BBQ and drinking my Haus Pale Ale

I can't tell you what .999 tastes like. It's not sweet, but it tastes just like German Apfelwein if you ever have had that. Perhaps someone can describe it. I've had dry red wine before, and you cannot compare this to it.

Cheers,

EdWort

Haus Pale Ale, Bavarian Hefeweizen, Robust Porter, Oktoberfest Ale, Wounded Knee IPA, Rye IPA, BCB IPA, Kolsch, Apfelwein

Old 04-27-2007, 04:43 AM   #1349
Willsellout

Recipes 

took a hydro reading today. It read 1.006, down a couple points from 2 weeks ago. So hopefully in another couple weeks I can bottle this sucker. I can say it's very very light and not alcoholic at all. I can't wait to bottle and carb it..oh and I used the original recipe..no sense fooling around with perfection, right Ed

Dan

Secondary One-Empty
Secondary Two-Empty

On Tap: Hobgoblin, Coffee Stout
Bottled: Arrogant Bastard clone, Summit IPA, Apfelwein

Old 04-27-2007, 11:42 AM   #1350
EdWort

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willsellout
oh and I used the original recipe..no sense fooling around with perfection, right Ed
Yep, it's the way I make it and it's as close to the real thing from Germany (but with a bigger kick).

I can understand folks tweaking it to make it their own or perhaps they just don't have all the ingredients.

In the end, it's some tasty stuff that brain dead simple to make.

Cheers,

EdWort

Haus Pale Ale, Bavarian Hefeweizen, Robust Porter, Oktoberfest Ale, Wounded Knee IPA, Rye IPA, BCB IPA, Kolsch, Apfelwein

Quick Reply