Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Man, I love Apfelwein

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2007, 08:05 PM   #1331
jjasghar
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

i know this has to have been answered in this monster thread but i have to ask...

with the dry Montrachet yeast... can i drop it in or do i have to do something else?

JJ Asghar
Austin, TX
please excuse the spellign mistaks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2007, 08:08 PM   #1332
JayMckeever
Recipes 

i boiled 2 pints of water, cooled it to 80 degrees, and then mixed in the yeast to hydrate it. then, i poured it into the mixture to ferment!

Old 04-23-2007, 08:12 PM   #1333
jjasghar
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayMckeever
i boiled 2 pints of water, cooled it to 80 degrees, and then mixed in the yeast to hydrate it. then, i poured it into the mixture to ferment!

ooohhh swweeet! thanks

JJ Asghar
Austin, TX
please excuse the spellign mistaks

Old 04-23-2007, 08:48 PM   #1334
Ryanh1801

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjasghar
i know this has to have been answered in this monster thread but i have to ask...

with the dry Montrachet yeast... can i drop it in or do i have to do something else?
I just poured mine in like stated in the original recipe. Fermentation started in less than 24 hours.

Old 04-23-2007, 08:55 PM   #1335
Paperface
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reidman
Has anyone tried this using grapejuice? Guess at that point it wouldn't be apfelwein anymore but I'm just curious if you can use ANY natural fruit juice to make the same thing..
Check the Welch's grape wine thread.

Old 04-24-2007, 05:11 AM   #1336
Hemi

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Well Ed, you can add another 10 gallons to the tally as I just finished my batches started in early March. One was done with Cotes Des Blanc to test side by side. Really not sure which I like better as they are both great! So good I'm starting my next 5 in the next day or two and will keep this consistantly fermenting/aging.

Thanks Ed!

On Tap: EdWort's Apfelwein #8, Starlight Cyser, Flat Ass Tired v1.2, Flast Ass Tired v1.2

Old 04-25-2007, 03:29 AM   #1337
HarvInSTL

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Sorry..

...but I had to stop reading after the first 27 pages. But I have a couple questions and I'm sorry if they have already been anwsered or asked.

1.) What can I do so that this is on the sweet side? I have purchased 1lb of Lactose and will mix it in when I bottle if that will help.

2.) Also do you think that if I add 2 cans of apple juice concentrate with the 6gallons of apple juice that would help?

3.) I have a 6.5 gallon carboy, will I be fine using 2lbs of corn sugar and the single packet of yeast if I use 6 gallons of Apple Juice?

Thanks in advance, and I'm sorry if these questions have been asked or anwsered.

Secondary: 9/9/9/-My version, Carbernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Raspberry Melomel

On deck: Tripel, 5 day IPA Squared, White Russian Imperial Stout

Live in Saint Louis, MO? Then check out www.stlbrews.org and www.garagebrewers.com

Old 04-25-2007, 03:54 AM   #1338
Kayos
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarvInSTL
...but I had to stop reading after the first 27 pages. But I have a couple questions and I'm sorry if they have already been anwsered or asked.

1.) What can I do so that this is on the sweet side? I have purchased 1lb of Lactose and will mix it in when I bottle if that will help.

2.) Also do you think that if I add 2 cans of apple juice concentrate with the 6gallons of apple juice that would help?

3.) I have a 6.5 gallon carboy, will I be fine using 2lbs of corn sugar and the single packet of yeast if I use 6 gallons of Apple Juice?

Thanks in advance, and I'm sorry if these questions have been asked or anwsered.
1. Add the same # of cans of concentrate as juice. Sweeter still, don't add sugar and let it be just hard apple cider. The ABV goes down, obviously.

2. Refer to answer 1.

3. I am going to try this: 4 gallons juice, 4 cans concentratem 1 lb. corn sugar, Cotes De Blanc yeast. Should be a little sweeter and still pack a punch. Yes, 1 pack is enough. 6 galloons of juice is going to be too much in a 6.5 carboy and you are going to lose some through the blow-off tube you are going to have to use.

Old 04-25-2007, 05:31 AM   #1339
buckeyemike75
Recipes 

well I am about 11 days in with my first batch everything looks ok......but.......by watching the fermentation taking place I noticed that in my 5 gallon carboy that it is only fermenting on 1 side of the carboy, I can see on the right side C02 bubbles loading up creating the white foam but on the left side there are bubbles but they are few and far between, I realize this probably means nothing just wondering if this has happened to anyone else, oh and I am getting a big build-up of yeast cake on the bottom I am using L-1118.

Primary1: Edwort's Apfelwein
Primary2:
Primary3:

Secondary:
Secondary:

Future: More Apfelwein
Future: more summer belgians

Old 04-25-2007, 07:41 AM   #1340
Paperface
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyemike75
...by watching the fermentation taking place I noticed that in my 5 gallon carboy that it is only fermenting on 1 side of the carboy...
I'd bet money that your carboy isnt exactly level. The bubbles go straight up, so if the carboy is tilted even slighty, they would come up on one side.

Quick Reply