Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Man, I love Apfelwein

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2006, 03:58 AM   #121
DesertBrew
You're not my type
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 80 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 158

Quote:
Originally Posted by olllllo
This is my first non-beer brewing experience. Are you bottling with 22 oz'ers and crowns or some other situation? Letting then carb or keeping it flat?

My first impression is that I'm going to rack to a keg and break in my newly acquired Blichmann Beer Gun. If I wanted to keep it flat, what would I use to kill off the yeast?
Haven't made up my mind yet if I'm going to keg or bottle. SWMBO is already hammering me to sweeten it up a bit and if I do that, then I'll keg it. Actually, I think I'll keg 1/2 and bottle 1/2. Keg sweetened a bit for her and corn sugar carbed non-sweetened for the bottles. Probably 12oz; my 8oz glass out of the fermenter I've been sipping on already has given me a pleasant buzz. 22oz would be kind of a lot to consume in one session unless buzz was the objective.

Going to try nottingham next to see the difference in how it comes out.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2006, 03:59 AM   #122
Flyin' Lion

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertBrew
did you use the dry wine yeast (montrachet or whatever it was)? The wife didn't like and thought I should sweeten it up a bit. I'll have to cruise thru this thread but I think I saw someone mention adding something; perhaps a can of apple concentrate when kegged or splenda. This thread is way too long
This is what I used:

-6 gallons pastuerized apple juice
-2 lbs. dextrose
-1 packet Montrachet wine yeast

Old 11-15-2006, 04:34 AM   #123
Klainmeister
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Mines been fermenting for a while and is about 2 weeks to bottling. Now i have a very important question here. I am leaving for Munich on the tenth, i was going to bottle a few days before that and i was wondering if anyone here who has experience with this recipe likes it flat like wine in wine bottles. I'm sure my friends in Bavaria would love this stuff, i just dont think i would be able to bottle/drink carbed stuff in time. What's the take on flat/dry apfelwein?

Old 11-15-2006, 06:38 AM   #124
mew
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts

Hey I'm from Salem too! Are there any good brew shops in town that you want to recommend?

Old 11-15-2006, 11:02 AM   #125
EdWort
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 265 Times on 138 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klainmeister
i was wondering if anyone here who has experience with this recipe likes it flat like wine in wine bottles. I'm sure my friends in Bavaria would love this stuff, i just dont think i would be able to bottle/drink carbed stuff in time. What's the take on flat/dry apfelwein?
It's still very tasty uncarbonated when chilled. It's a taste that grows on you. Apfelwein in Germany is uncarbonated and at 8.5% you can cut with with club soda for a little bubbly. After the first one, you realize that you can taste and smell the apples and it's better than some sweet juice with a kick.

Mine is carbed simply because of dispensing with CO2.

BTW, it makes a great hot Grog for winter. Just add some turbinado sugar, rum and a cinnamon stick and warm it up before serving. Hoooo yeah!

Old 11-15-2006, 11:07 AM   #126
RoaringBrewer

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Any clue how long something like this will last in the bottle (carbonated)? As noted above I brewed my first 2 gallons and should have no problem getting that downed by myself or others. If I ever do make a larger batch though, this is probably something I'd have sitting around a while. Will this benefit from aging... 6 months... year... year plus... or something like normal wines?

Old 11-15-2006, 03:03 PM   #127
MriswitH
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Man, I can't wait to try this. I went and get a couple stoppers for a 3-gallon plastic carboy that I got from a rummage sale, but the stoppers were both too big. When I get the new one this weekend I plan on making a batch relatively soon here.

I plan on using the same recipes as above, with a Nottingham's Ale Yeast and throwing in a stick or two of cinnamon and maybe some cooked down cherries and carbing it.

Old 11-15-2006, 04:05 PM   #128
RoaringBrewer

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

The cinnamon is a good idea. Hadn't crossed my mind, but maybe I'll drop some minimal amount in before bottling.

Old 11-15-2006, 06:57 PM   #129
mew
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts

Cloves would be good in it, too.

Old 11-15-2006, 07:29 PM   #130
RoaringBrewer

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

With the wicked rate of this thread progressing page upon page, I'm going to ask my question again; anyone know how long this stuff will last if bottled and stored in a dark place? Will it last 6 months? A year? Would it better with age?

Quick Reply